Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I like the move, although not too keen on the one year deals.

love 1 year deals... i think teams love them too. don't get stuck with dead money. esp. good for players that have had motivation issues in the past like Branch. PLUS, you are more likely to get FA compensation picks if they then walk. we hardly get any b/c we have to cut players before their contracts are up.

Dansby next could get me excited about this defense.

Mike Jenkins is due in today or tomorrow, and the Raiders, one of the teams interested in him, just signed Terry Porter. I'd love to add Jenkins, too.

Ditto.

Confirmation from Branch's agent.:

@RapSheet

And... Per agent @blakebaratz, DT Alan Branch agrees to a one-year deal with #Bills for $3M plus up to $350K in incentives #Billsmafia

I'm sure that's sarcasm, because the two players couldn't possibly be any different

Wow, I disagree with that comparison.

Easy, fellas. I think it's a great signing--though I'm not thrilled about the one-year component.

There's just been far too much positive banter about the guy, and as per my post earlier in the thread, order must be restored in the TSW universe.

:thumbsup:

I'm surprised Dansby is still available, what's the hold up? Money?

I would definitely assume money. There is still a decent crop of ILB free agents to be had though (Dansby, Bart Scott, Bradie James, Larry Grant, Urlacher, etc) so we probably can afford to see what the Draft holds first before dipping into that pool.

Edited by BillsGuyInBallstonSpa

love 1 year deals... i think teams love them too. don't get stuck with dead money. esp. good for players that have had motivation issues in the past like Branch. PLUS, you are more likely to get FA compensation picks if they then walk. we hardly get any b/c we have to cut players before their contracts are up.

Yeah, there are surely pluses and minuses. Branch will be motivated (although I hate even the idea that players play more motivated in contract years). This year is full of one year deals.

Solid pick up. The Seahawks had one of the best defensive fronts last year. I think he immediately steps in as the #3 DT and will see plenty of snaps. I think he is the type of player that Nix was hoping Troupe would turn into when he took him in the 2nd.

You can never have too many big bodies on either line. He's a mountain of a man at 6'6" / 325 LB.

per rotoworld...Bills agreed to terms with DT Alan Branch, formerly of the Seahawks, on a one-year, $3 million contract.The veteran run stopper will slide in as a role player behind Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams. Branch played 575 snaps for the Seahawks last season, grading out in the middle of the pack in Pro Football Focus' defensive tackle ratings. He'll help shore up a run defense that allowed 145.8 yards per game and 5.0 yards per carry in 2012. Apr 2 - 2:04 PM Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Dansby next could get me excited about this defense.

Mike Jenkins is due in today or tomorrow, and the Raiders, one of the teams interested in him, just signed Terry Porter. I'd love to add Jenkins, too.

Ditto for Dansby though I am not sure where Jenkins fits in this D given that we have several CBs on the roster. Perhaps this indicates one of the CB (Aaron WIlliams ? Brooks ?) is being considered for a move to safety.

In any case, I like the Alan Branch signing esp the 1 yr part.

Allow me...

Whoopee. Another dumpster dive. We paid too much. Why don't we ever sign anyone good? Our FO stinks. We have no QB. No playoffs for 13 seasons. I'm so done with this team.

PTR

Not this time, the majority of TBD I believe understands that this is a good acquisition.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz