I wonder what Jason Peters' teammates think of him.

I think it is important to note that Buffalo was pretty smart to trade Peters and not throw $$ at Bell. Sometimes it is the moves you don't make that are important.

I like how you link Peters to Da'Mattress like they are related moves. Da'Mattress was their REPLACEMENT for Peters in the first place. You don't replace an elite tackle with a small forward. Pearls of wisdom though. :doh:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is the problem with some fans. You are complaining about whether his claims of grandeur are accurate. Who cares what these guys say or think. They get paid to play football, not advance social science. As for a team full of guys like that, the Dallas Cowboys entire organization in the mid 1990's comes to mind. Are you saying that Peters doesn't have competitive juices and doesn't want to win?

Of course he wants to win. It's just not as important to him. I don't agree about the Cowboys of the mid 90's. Those guys cared about winning. Aikmen, Smith and Irvin had a deep desire to win, along with many on that defense like Haley. There is a difference between thinking you're great and putting yourself above the team because you think you're greater than the team. How many Cowboys said they carried the team?

Pace was a great player, but I think Peters is an even better athlete. I think when Pace was at Ohio State he was the best run blocking OT in all of football, NFL included.

That said, I remember an ancient Bruce Smith putting up multiple sack games against both Pace and Walter Jones while with the Redskins. I recently saw an NFL network top 10 worst free agent signings show and Bruce was depicted there with Deion Sanders in Washington. The guy was like 40 and had 10 sacks in a season for the Skins.......what did they think they were getting? :worthy:

LT is a position where there are lots of different opinions on who was the best. People I have spoken to and respect mentioned Munoz and Jones. R.Rich prefers Ogden. They all make a good case too, but my particular favorite was Pace. In the 2000 superbowl, the Rams stats really weren't so good. Warner was the MVP but I swear, it should have been Pace. He gave Warner 9 or 10 seconds to throw on some plays.

I never saw a lineman who was THAT strong. Wrt Peters, he was my favorite player when he was on the Bills. He was the best player on the team, by far. He could push big pass rushers away because his arms were so long and strong. And yes, he was great on the running plays.

And btw, I fully agree with you wrt Wood, and posted the same in another thread. If he was a free agent this season, he would have been gone.

I have been wrong 1,000 times on this board. But in that particular draft, I was hoping for Levitre in round 1. The Bills took Wood, and traded down in round 2 to take Levitre. At least I was right once LOL!!!

Usually neither do I, and I am not the guy who said that.

Except the guy who did is, IMO, the most knowledgeable and astute pro football fan in the history of this board. ;)

You got that right!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill from NYC

LT is a position where there are lots of different opinions on who was the best. People I have spoken to and respect mentioned Munoz and Jones. R.Rich prefers Ogden. They all make a good case too, but my particular favorite was Pace. In the 2000 superbowl, the Rams stats really weren't so good. Warner was the MVP but I swear, it should have been Pace. He gave Warner 9 or 10 seconds to throw on some plays.

I never saw a lineman who was THAT strong. Wrt Peters, he was my favorite player when he was on the Bills. He was the best player on the team, by far. He could push big pass rushers away because his arms were so long and strong. And yes, he was great on the running plays.

And btw, I fully agree with you wrt Wood, and posted the same in another thread. If he was a free agent this season, he would have been gone.

I have been wrong 1,000 times on this board. But in that particular draft, I was hoping for Levitre in round 1. The Bills took Wood, and traded down in round 2 to take Levitre. At least I was right once LOL!!!

Somebody thinks Wood is pretty good ( yes I know it's a year old, but it's all I could find)

https://www.atssport...-blog-news.html

Edited by first_and_ten

Somebody thinks Wood is pretty good ( yes I know it's a year old, but it's all I could find)

https://www.atssport...-blog-news.html

I am not saying that Wood isn't good. Not at all, and I love his work ethic. But one must wonder, especially if it is time to give him a deal like Levitre got, if his body is equipped to play football in the NFL. See what I mean?

The Bills, imo, made a huge mistake wrt letting Levitre walk. And the point I was making was that if Levitre was drafted in round 1, he would have another year on our team.

Who said he was the best in 2011? Jason Peters? I'm sure if he is the source, then it is true. He was not far and away the best LT in the NFL, even in 2011. Where do you get this from?

Check out profootballfocus.com, footballoutsiders.com, and the ap all pro balloting.

Agreed, I just didn't like someone saying he was far and away the best LT in the league

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/05/2011-pff-offensive-player-of-the-year/

Read entry #7.

Also: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/23/player-of-the-year-candidates-the-pff-perspective/

Edited by dave mcbride

I certainly had issues with Marv Levy being the Bills GM, but one thing he was right about is that losing your own free agents does more damage than the initial gain you get from signing them from other teams.

Peters was traded, but that was the case when he went to Philadelphia. The Bills SUFFERED without him that first season, but It also took him a year to get fully acclimated in a new offense and then he took off. If the Bills had made it right with him we likely would have gotten those same results from the get-go. The guy is a game changer.

A more recent example is the Texans losing Mario to the Bills. The Texans scoffed at losing Mario because they had Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed in reserve. But by the end of the season their defense was JJ Watt or nothing. If Mario had stayed there......and he played at the level that he played in the second half of the season in Buffalo.......that defense would have been a QB's worst nightmare. They may very well have finished what they started last year when they ran out to the best record in the NFL the first 3 months of the season. But of course, by the time Mario got rolling in Buffalo the Bills season was all but over.

People discount losing Levitre, but it took the Bills basically 15-18 years to string together back-to-back decent showings from a Bills offensive line. Now, the only proven reliable member of that group is gone. They have "thought" they had patched leaky guard positions before and found out that they were wrong. Maybe Marrone and Buddy can combine to do it, but it's not like the Bills haven't had good OL coaches during that period when the OL sucked. McNally, Kugler.....these guys are respected but they couldn't make scrub OG's into players like Levitre.

Wood has 1 year remaining on his contract. They recently signed his backup, Colin Brown, to a two year deal.

Brown fits the gargantuan dimensions that Buddy Nix prefers in his OL(see basically all of Buddy Nix OL acquisitions).

Wood, while not terribly athletic....is also not exceptionally large. He routinely gives up 30-40 pounds to opposing NT's.

I think they would like to replace him with a bigger player. Whether they can do it with one of their scrap heap acquisitions like Brown remains to be seen, but I think that's the plan.

And Wood certainly hasn't inspired confidence by never completing a full season. He shouldn't have come back late last season, he was awful when he did. Should have been IR'ed in November.

Buddy's OL plan has been my stated opinion for some time now, and the subsequent, thoroughly uncontested departure of the undersized Andy Levitre is only further evidence that Buddy wants to re-shape this OL into a group of five 330-340 pound blockers.

And yes, I would rather have Peters coming off of an achilles injury than Wood, at ANY point in their careers. Achilles injuries were career ending in the days of Sam Cowart. The achilles injury made Takeo Spikes a lesser player........but he played good football for the better part of a decade after his injury.

The arc being what it is with achilles injuries, it is even possible that Peters bounces back near completely over the next two seasons. At worst, I think he could move to the right side and be an excellent RT or become a dominant interior lineman.

Honestly, I think Peters will still be playing well AFTER Wood is retired. I said that at the time of the trade and I still feel the same way.

Great post.

I love a guy who was drafted as a tight end and is well coached and converted to a left tackle, and somehow thinks we're wrong. We should have offered more money, but he was ridiculous in how he handled the situation. As far as the best left tackle, hey Jason have you heard of a guy named Joe Thomas. And oh by the way, he keeps his mouth shut.

Not quite sure where you got that I thought the moves were related from my post, but whatever.

I like how you link Peters to Da'Mattress like they are related moves. Da'Mattress was their REPLACEMENT for Peters in the first place. You don't replace an elite tackle with a small forward. Pearls of wisdom though. :doh:

I just love the comments on here how the NFL is a "business" and how Peters has to financially "look out for himself" first. Truth is, if you look at the first contract he signed with the Bills in 2006, it was for $15 million. 99.9% of the general population would be able to live a very comfortable life and provide for their family if they made the money Peters received in his first contract (the contract he didn't even honor, ironically).

There has to be a point where these athletes worry less about the financial aspects of the game and just focus on doing what they supposedly love. Not with Peters though. Now, if Peters wasn't getting paid during his "injury", my dollar says he would have found a way to get on the field last season.

I just love the comments on here how the NFL is a "business" and how Peters has to financially "look out for himself" first. Truth is, if you look at the first contract he signed with the Bills in 2006, it was for $15 million. 99.9% of the general population would be able to live a very comfortable life and provide for their family if they made the money Peters received in his first contract (the contract he didn't even honor, ironically).

There has to be a point where these athletes worry less about the financial aspects of the game and just focus on doing what they supposedly love. Not with Peters though. Now, if Peters wasn't getting paid during his "injury", my dollar says he would have found a way to get on the field last season.

99.9% of the general population are sheep getting bled to death that could never play LT in the NFL for any team. You say that athletes should worry less about financial aspects of the game. Does that apply to the owners too? Being naive is expensive.

While there are aspects of the Peters Divorce that I blame on him (and I place some blame on the Bills too) what the general populace makes is totally irrelevant.

As for "playing the game they supposedly love," surveys have shown that most of the players are in this for the money. The game takes a huge toll on the body and they put their physical and mental well-being at risk every time they play. Kids play football for the love of sport. Most pros are in it for the money.

As to your last sentence, the second time he ruptured the achilles was in May. This is a very serious injury. The Eagles season had gone into the tank. Even from a team standpoint, why would the Eagles want to jeopardize the health of one of their biggest assets? Coming back to play would have benefitted no one.

The first contract he signed was for less than a couple hundred thousand and the Bills didnt honor it, they cut him. His second contract was for about $4000 a week as a practice squad player. His third contract was for a couple hundred thousand dollars a year which he grossly outplayed. His fourth contract is the first one you're talking about.

The first contract he signed was for less than a couple hundred thousand and the Bills didnt honor it, they cut him. His second contract was for about $4000 a week as a practice squad player. His third contract was for a couple hundred thousand dollars a year which he grossly outplayed. His fourth contract is the first one you're talking about.

Those are semantics. I meant first real contract.

99.9% of the general population are sheep getting bled to death that could never play LT in the NFL for any team. You say that athletes should worry less about financial aspects of the game. Does that apply to the owners too? Being naive is expensive.

What does basic human needs and/or comfort beyond what any of us can ever dream of with $15 million have to do with his playing ability? That's neither here nor there.

While there are aspects of the Peters Divorce that I blame on him (and I place some blame on the Bills too) what the general populace makes is totally irrelevant.

It's relevant when assertions such as he has to "make a living" or "support his family" are thrown around.

Edited by kas23

Those are semantics. I meant first real contract.

I see. So getting cut and losing your job is not real to a 22 year old kid? Got it. Outplaying your first "real" contract (to play in an NFL game) for two years doesn't count, and outplaying your second real contract doesn't count, but complaining about it and wanting to renegotiate is when the real world starts to kick in?

It's relevant when assertions such as he has to "make a living" or "support his family" are thrown around.

he clearly lives in a world very different than you or i. his supporting his family for a lot of these guys is bringing back a once in 10 generations type of payday that can change the lives of dozens of people if he handles his business. hes not talking about putting food on the table thursday night. hes likely talking about making sure mom has her house paid off, the kids all have college paid for, the brothers and sisters get taken out of debt and he gets to have some fun for all the hard work hes put in.... if he gets a career ending injury in week 3 and only sees a million dollars... well... hes going to be missing out on a whole lot of family support that he could be giving.

I see. So getting cut and losing your job is not real to a 22 year old kid? Got it. Outplaying your first "real" contract (to play in an NFL game) for two years doesn't count, and outplaying your second real contract doesn't count, but complaining about it and wanting to renegotiate is when the real world starts to kick in?

I reality, he didn't "outplay" any of his contracts until 2006, when he was awarded a sizable sum of money. He barely played in 2004, so deserved the rookie minimum, which is about how much I will make in 10 years time. In 2005, he didn't "outplay" his contract either. He played the going rate that a RT (the position he played) would make in his first full season. He showed promise, so was moved to LT and was paid generously. Even he thought so, since it was his signature on the contract. In fact, as you astutely point out, he was cut a few times and no teams even sniffed. If it wasn't for the Bills, he would have sold me the insurance I bought a month ago.

But, still, I truly sob for that 22 year-old. Many of us would kill for the tribulations he had to go through.