I wonder what Jason Peters' teammates think of him.

Peters should have gotten a proper contract when he was here. Dockery was a disgrace and was getting paid millions to suck. Why wouldn't Jason Peters desire real money compared to what Dockery, a below average guard, was making at the time. Marv invested POORLY in that O-line and it prevented the team from signing Peters to a proper contract commensurate with his on field performance. Peters at LT and Cordy at LG would be a force. I wish Peters well this season. As for his attitude, I leave that subject for the women folk to kick around. I work with some exceptional people that have massive egos, they are quite easy to manage if your focus is on getting RESULTS.

Peters got a new contract but then decided he was worth more after he signed it. He could have made his feelings known by going to the Bills directly. Instead he just doesn't show up. Now compare that behavior to Fred Jackson. He was having a pro bowl season and felt

he deserved a new deal, but he kept playing...and he got his deal. Peters could have been the greatest player ever but I wouldn't want him for his selfish attitude. Players like Peters never achieve their true potential anyway.

PTR

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't usually carry ill will towards former Buffalo players but I really don't like Peters. There's a couple of quotes in the following link that just rubs me the wrong way. I'm wondering what kind of effect it will have with his teammates.

http://profootballta...ayed-last-year/

He is an a-hole but he was the best LT in the NFL prior to this injury.....by a wide margin......and until proven otherwise he is still to be considered a star LT. From a talent exchange perspective, the Peters trade was a disaster for the Bills and since it hasn't netted any positive change in the Bills fortunes on the field it is fair now to say that it was another utter failure for the Bills. The mean-nature of Peters no doubt helps him be the best run blocking left tackle the NFL has seen in decades.

Peters is just one of those guys who is all about himself. In the end i can't hate him for it. I get it. He'd rather further his career and make more money than risk possibly ending his career playing for a bad team going nowhere. He's not the first, won't be the last. He's a pro athlete, unlike the rest of us who will work into our and 50's and 60's before retiring, his career will end probably in his mid 30s and he somehow has to find a way to survive the next 50+ years of his life without real income. He's not a guy i'd want on my team but i can't rip a guy for caring more about himself than the organization that will use his body up and then toss him aside when he's no longer of use to them.

I have no problem with what he says. First off it would be unwise to rush a return for a team going no where last year. Comment about being best lineman in the league just shows he's confident and accepts his role as a leader.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Did anyone else view it as Karmic Retribution when lightning struck his Orchard Park house and burned it down two years ago?

(This was the house that had been empty and become overgrown with weeds, etc)

You say that like a good neighbor that doesn't realize why "lightning" strikes abandoned properties. :lol:

Yep. The Bills need less players that think they're the best at their position in the league and then go out and prove it. Hate those guys!!

We should have paid him and kept him. As Parcells said, to be a good NFL player, you need to be a little crazy or "off" or something to that effect. We don't need choir boys on our team we need prickly a-- holes who beat you and then tell you they just beat you . Peters, Incognito, Levitre, next year Wood in all likelihood... you don't see the Pats sending young Pro bowlers away B/c they are bomb throwers. Heck, the one Pats pro bowl lineman called out the freakin owner before getting paid. Do you want those kind of guys on your HS or College team? NO. Do you want them on your NFL team: yes.

Peters is just one of those guys who is all about himself. In the end i can't hate him for it. I get it. He'd rather further his career and make more money than risk possibly ending his career playing for a bad team going nowhere. He's not the first, won't be the last. He's a pro athlete, unlike the rest of us who will work into our and 50's and 60's before retiring, his career will end probably in his mid 30s and he somehow has to find a way to survive the next 50+ years of his life without real income. He's not a guy i'd want on my team but i can't rip a guy for caring more about himself than the organization that will use his body up and then toss him aside when he's no longer of use to them.

Exactly, I do not begrudge any NFL player who scores a big contract. Not in the least. The careers are short, can effectively end on one play .. and the teams have no loyalty nor should they.

Edited by 8and8Forever

we did pay Peters, before his time. people always talk about locking up a guy... the Bills did it, giving him more than he had earned to that point early. in exchange, the benefit should be IF he pans out you get a couple years at a bargain rate. he panned out, but didn't want to play for the bargain rate, forgetting they gave him millions more than they had to the previous 2 years.

not only that, but the Bills did offer him a nice raise, to around 9 million before the trade and he refused AFTER a DOWN year. he wanted out. pretty good money for a undrafted LT with his experience, AND coming off a down year. wasn't that good in 2008.

further, he may have been the best in 2011... but that's one year out of the 4 he's been gone. he wasn't that great in 2009, i remember he didn't impress. he was pretty good in 2010, great in 2011, then misses 2012. he missed games in ALL years, even 2011 (2). he missed games for us too. he always finds something wrong and misses the last 1-3 games of the year. so they payed him what.. 40 million so far for 42 games over 4 seasons, maybe half of which were elite.

Peters got a new contract but then decided he was worth more after he signed it. He could have made his feelings known by going to the Bills directly. Instead he just doesn't show up. Now compare that behavior to Fred Jackson. He was having a pro bowl season and felt

he deserved a new deal, but he kept playing...and he got his deal. Peters could have been the greatest player ever but I wouldn't want him for his selfish attitude. Players like Peters never achieve their true potential anyway.

PTR

Peters is a smart player. The NFL has the shortest careers going. Voluntarily getting paid below market value while playing next to a Guard getting that ridiculous contract on a bad football team would make him a moron. Fred Jackson is a class act and that got himself where? He was injured, the Bills still stink, when he did play he was not as effective and now he will see less playing time and likely has seen his last NFL contract. He conceivably lost money to look good to fans like you. 10 years from now he may wish he did things a little differently in an industry that views him as a perishable item/liability. If Peters would have continued to play out that bogus contract for the Bills while sustaining his achilles injury he would likely be finished in the eyes of the league.

As for his attitude, I leave that subject for the women folk to kick around. I work with some exceptional people that have massive egos, they are quite easy to manage if your focus is on getting RESULTS.

Not that the point(s) that you made previously aren't valid, in which I deleted, but it's this point that I find very, very astute and I believe is the mentality of a good front office in the NFL. Is it safe to say that you are in management? While I believe that everyone who has posted on this thread has bought up a valid point or two it is this kind of thinking that is the reality of this business that is called the NFL. Remember, we here are the fans and view our team and the NFL passionately and emotionally while the business aspect of these kind of decisions are dealt with by businessmen. That's the reality of it, neither are right or wrong, it's just the structure that makes up this entity.

When everything is all said and done I still don't care for Jason Peters and his attitude. While I don't wish him any ill will I also don't miss him.

Btw, someone mentioned earlier about his house getting hit by lightning and burning down to the ground being karma (it's actually called reciprocity). That is more than likely to favor him, getting paid by insurance, not dealing with the dropped market in real estate etc etc.

Peters is a smart player. The NFL has the shortest careers going. Voluntarily getting paid below market value while playing next to a Guard getting that ridiculous contract on a bad football team would make him a moron. Fred Jackson is a class act and that got himself where? He was injured, the Bills still stink, when he did play he was not as effective and now he will see less playing time and likely has seen his last NFL contract. He conceivably lost money to look good to fans like you. 10 years from now he may wish he did things a little differently in an industry that views him as a perishable item/liability. If Peters would have continued to play out that bogus contract for the Bills while sustaining his achilles injury he would likely be finished in the eyes of the league.

There is so much $$$$$$$$$$ at stake in such a short time to a player, you HAVE to consider yourself first. You are right with this post

It got him the deal he wanted? What else was there supposed to be? A Lombardi Trophy? A unicorn?

As for Peter's,if that deal was so bogus why did Peters sign it? He never spoke to the Bills about his desire for a new deal. He just stayed home and pouted like a spoiled little girl. Now he's the Eagles problem. Good riddance.

PTR

He is an a-hole but he was the best LT in the NFL prior to this injury.....by a wide margin......and until proven otherwise he is still to be considered a star LT. From a talent exchange perspective, the Peters trade was a disaster for the Bills and since it hasn't netted any positive change in the Bills fortunes on the field it is fair now to say that it was another utter failure for the Bills. The mean-nature of Peters no doubt helps him be the best run blocking left tackle the NFL has seen in decades.

I don't agree with this. He was not the best LT in the NFL prior to his injury. He gave up 11.5 sacks in 2008. How is that the best LT in the NFL?

I don't agree with this. He was not the best LT in the NFL prior to his injury. He gave up 11.5 sacks in 2008. How is that the best LT in the NFL?

He's referring to 2011, when Peters was by far and away the most dominant lineman in the league (and by virtually every measure).

I always support NFL players getting every penny they can. But Peters handled his situation like a complete child. He won't return calls & then showed up out of shape putting his teammates' health at risk. Eff him.

And for all the talk of him being the best olinemen in 2011, that dream team missed the playoffs & got beat by our very own Bills (he also plays LT for a left handed qb). LT is the most overrated position in sports.

It got him the deal he wanted? What else was there supposed to be? A Lombardi Trophy? A unicorn?

As for Peter's,if that deal was so bogus why did Peters sign it? He never spoke to the Bills about his desire for a new deal. He just stayed home and pouted like a spoiled little girl. Now he's the Eagles problem. Good riddance.

PTR

Of course the Bills knew he wanted a new deal. What kind of world do you live in where you actual believe any player would just sit at home and not tell his team ANYTHING, just staying away. That's insane. They knew what he wanted. Peters actually liked Buffalo a lot and wanted to stay. He just wanted to be paid what he and his agent thought he was worth, which was 10m a season, the going rate for a top LT at the time. The Bills wanted him, too, and offered him 9m. That means they thought he was GREAT. They just didn't want to pay him 10m a season, which was a very reasonable opinion at the time.

Personally, I would have paid him the 10m he was worth in the marketplace but I understood not paying him that. He wanted the Bills to up their offer and they finally decided it wasn't worth it, and found some team who WAS willing to pay him his market worth of 10m. And he became the best LT in the game.

Since he has been injured so much, it cannot be looked at as a total win for the Eagles. But if they had to do it again, I think they do it again in a heartbeat.

Sad but true.

He's referring to 2011, when Peters was by far and away the most dominant lineman in the league (and by virtually every measure).

Who said he was the best in 2011? Jason Peters? I'm sure if he is the source, then it is true. He was not far and away the best LT in the NFL, even in 2011. Where do you get this from?

Edited by first_and_ten