Thigpen as Backup QB in Seattle?

@JasonLaCanfora

Seahawks brass doing some traveling for draft scouting, but everything still points to Tyler Thigpen visiting and signing there soon enough

Seahawks have to be one of the pre-season SB favorites. They better pray that Russell Wilson stays healthy if they turn to Thiggy.

And the circle of life is complete. Flynn to Raiders, Palmer to Cards, Kolb to Buffalo and Thigpen to Seattle.

Have you ever noticed how some guys just can't be out of work? There must be a league rule that Tyler Thigpen must be on an NFL roster. Either that or he's got Roger Goodell's kids locked in his basement.

Edited by Ennjay

for a guy that never really played for us, there sure is a lot of hate on thigpens play

hes not a world beater by any means, but hes a pretty standard issue depth qb

.....and something Seattle desperately needs with the departure of Matt Flynn. Not a bad pick-up for them at all given their back-up situation and a weakening FA crop. Thigpen makes sense for them.

for a guy that never really played for us, there sure is a lot of hate on thigpens play

hes not a world beater by any means, but hes a pretty standard issue depth qb

Getting more than 3 million for holding a clipboard makes me jealous. That's my reason to hate on him. That plus even Gailey knew that a severely injured cracked rib Fitzpatrick was better than taking a chance on Thigpen.

.....and something Seattle desperately needs with the departure of Matt Flynn. Not a bad pick-up for them at all given their back-up situation and a weakening FA crop. Thigpen makes sense for them.

Thigpen makes sense for no one. Unless, of course, you are willing to let your entire season go down the tubes when you have to insert him into the lineup. I'd sign Jeff George- Hell, I'd sign J.P. freaking Losman - before I'd sign Thigpen.

As a backup I wouldn't sign Thigpen, as a third string QB yeah I don't think it could hurt odds are if your first two QB options are hurt your third stringer is going to be Thigpen quality. As another poster said pretty much standard issue depth QB.

It's funny.

Everyone's been talking about how great San Francisco and Seattle are (they are) and the big moves they've made this offseason (they have).

Now both teams have another thing in common… their seasons could go down the tubes if their starting QBs get injured.

Colt McCoy and Tyler Thigpen?

Wow.

I realize that Thigpen hasn't happened yet but still, I don't even consider the guy to be employable. He's a 3rd stringer at best.

Getting more than 3 million for holding a clipboard makes me jealous. That's my reason to hate on him. That plus even Gailey knew that a severely injured cracked rib Fitzpatrick was better than taking a chance on Thigpen.

Why? This guy has probably given up his body over the past 15-16 years (starting from HS/College/NFL) unlike what you or I might have even attempted (not even close) and is getting paid for all that hard work over those many years....All the NFL players deserve this salary. Also remember, for many of these guys there are *NO* alternate career after they retire from the NFL. They simply would have to live on the money they made during their career.

It's funny.

Everyone's been talking about how great San Francisco and Seattle are (they are) and the big moves they've made this offseason (they have).

Now both teams have another thing in common… their seasons could go down the tubes if their starting QBs get injured.

Colt McCoy and Tyler Thigpen?

Wow.

I realize that Thigpen hasn't happened yet but still, I don't even consider the guy to be employable. He's a 3rd stringer at best.

Which is why they both could take one of the "premier" QBs in the first.

The run on QBs might start with them.

Thigpen isn't a Bill any more, so I guess I don't really care....but the legend of his suckiness seems way disproportionate to anything the guy actually did or didn't do, in his time in Buffalo. I am under no illusion that he is a great QB, but there aren't a lot of #2 oe #3 guys available who have as much experience.

You people are nuts! :rolleyes:

Thigpen isn't a Bill any more, so I guess I don't really care....but the legend of his suckiness seems way disproportionate to anything the guy actually did or didn't do, in his time in Buffalo. I am under no illusion that he is a great QB, but there aren't a lot of #2 oe #3 guys available who have as much experience.

You people are nuts! :rolleyes:

Don't you remember seeing him in some exhibition games?

He was truly horrible.

I don't hate Thigpen. I just think that on his best days he's still just "meh."

Any team playing its #3 QB is probably done for the season anyway (although if you're Seattle or SF you won't concede that), so my reaction goes more to the question of what's the third QB spot for. A younger guy who might have some upside? If so, save the slot for your next draftee even if it's Levi Brown. Someone to run the scout plays in practice? Maybe that's what a Thigpen or McCoy gets brought in for.

Don't you remember seeing him in some exhibition games?

He was truly horrible.

Honestly, I didn't get to see a ton of the exhibition games the last few years...but the one I did, I remember him moving the ball really well (against Denver, IIRC) between the 20 yrd lines. For a guy like Thigpen, who has been around a few years, and started or games, i don't put as much stock in his pre-season performances as I would what he did in real games, even if it was with another team. I may be in the minority, but I was one of the handful (mini-handfuls maybe) who wanted Chan to put him in last year, before the season got way too out of hand. I would have been curious to see what he could do with the starters...and if he sucked (as everyone assumes) if nothing else, it may have lit a fire under Fitzpatricks' ass. Thigpen was moderately successful running Gailey's offense, as a starter in KC. As I recall, that was with little aid of a running game, or a stable offensive line.