Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I dont think there is a coach or GM in the entire NFL who would pick a guy they genuinely thought was inferior to another player just because said player (Nassib) knows the playbook and the coaches are familiar with him and he would be able to play earlier. No one would do that. You draft a guy for 5-10 years, not one. If The Bills think Nassib is equal to other guys, his familiarity will be the clincher, all things equal. If they think Smith or Manuel or Barkley has more talent/potential, they will take that guy over Nassib every single time.

Marrone and Hackett are basically betting their NFL jobs on the QB they choose/play (although they won't be making the choice themselves). The ONLY way the Bills take Nassib is if Marrone and Hackett convince Nix and Whaley that Nassib has gotten better every year and you can't tell on tape how good this kid can be, he's just scratching the surface.

It's quite possible they feel that way but far, far from a foregone conclusion. And even if they feel that way but feel that Smith can be better, they will opt for Smith.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think there is a coach or GM in the entire NFL who would pick a guy they genuinely thought was inferior to another player just because said player (Nassib) knows the playbook and the coaches are familiar with him and he would be able to play earlier. No one would do that. You draft a guy for 5-10 years, not one. If The Bills think Nassib is equal to other guys, his familiarity will be the clincher, all things equal. If they think Smith or Manuel or Barkley has more talent/potential, they will take that guy over Nassib every single time.

Marrone and Hackett are basically betting their NFL jobs on the QB they choose/play (although they won't be making the choice themselves). The ONLY way the Bills take Nassib is if Marrone and Hackett convince Nix and Whaley that Nassib has gotten better every year and you can't tell on tape how good this kid can be, he's just scratching the surface.

It's quite possible they feel that way but far, far from a foregone conclusion. And even if they feel that way but feel that Smith can be better, they will opt for Smith.

This.

You wouldn't bet your career on player from college, just because he knew your system. I think it would be career suicide. You take the player you believe to be the "answer."

I took the chance, over the weekend, to watch every scrap of video I could find on Nassib, before I weighed in on this thread.

Here's the opinion that I've formed:

The Good

- Makes quick decisions

- Solid throwing mechanics

- Accurate with plenty of zip on short & medium range throws

- Gets good depth on 3 & 5 step drops

- Drives well off back foot when delivering passes inside the hash marks (posts, digs, curls, etc.)

The Bad

- Didn't throw over the top much, & appears to lose accuracy on deep throws (WRs have to work hard to locate & get around on the ball)

- Deep throws tend to sail; often puts too much air under them

- Shows hesitance to step up into the pocket when pressured; gets the happy-feet

- Struggles when teams drop an extra defender into coverage; forces things, which creates potential for turnovers

- Couldn't really find any 7-step drop to evaluate, so that's something he'll need to learn

So what do I think of him? He's got potential, most of the limitations he has can be coached up, but I'm not certain his ceiling is upper-echelon for an NFL QB. You may be looking at more of a Matt Hasselbeck than a Matt Ryan; good enough to compete, as long as he doesn't have to win games on his arm consistently.

I would have no problem with the team spending a 2nd round pick on Nassib. I'd pass on him in the first, because I believe that there isn't a big enough difference in NFL potential between Nassib and guys like Tyler Wilson and E.J. Manuel. Of the 3, I'm really torn on who I like the best, so waiting until round 2 and making the choice then seems to be the right move; instead opting with an impact defender (Jordan, Jones, Mingo, Ansah) in round 1.

I took the chance, over the weekend, to watch every scrap of video I could find on Nassib, before I weighed in on this thread.

Here's the opinion that I've formed:

The Good

- Makes quick decisions

- Solid throwing mechanics

- Accurate with plenty of zip on short & medium range throws

- Gets good depth on 3 & 5 step drops

- Drives well off back foot when delivering passes inside the hash marks (posts, digs, curls, etc.)

The Bad

- Didn't throw over the top much, & appears to lose accuracy on deep throws (WRs have to work hard to locate & get around on the ball)

- Deep throws tend to sail; often puts too much air under them

- Shows hesitance to step up into the pocket when pressured; gets the happy-feet

- Struggles when teams drop an extra defender into coverage; forces things, which creates potential for turnovers

- Couldn't really find any 7-step drop to evaluate, so that's something he'll need to learn

So what do I think of him? He's got potential, most of the limitations he has can be coached up, but I'm not certain his ceiling is upper-echelon for an NFL QB. You may be looking at more of a Matt Hasselbeck than a Matt Ryan; good enough to compete, as long as he doesn't have to win games on his arm consistently.

I would have no problem with the team spending a 2nd round pick on Nassib. I'd pass on him in the first, because I believe that there isn't a big enough difference in NFL potential between Nassib and guys like Tyler Wilson and E.J. Manuel. Of the 3, I'm really torn on who I like the best, so waiting until round 2 and making the choice then seems to be the right move; instead opting with an impact defender (Jordan, Jones, Mingo, Ansah) in round 1.

Sounds like Andy Dalton

For one Kelly, Geno Smith is not going to be there, besides, even if he was the Bills will still draft Nassib in my opinion because hes the better fit. Not just because he knows the offense, better fit for what Marrone is trying to do on Offense. Also a better fit as far as where he is playing and the type of conditions he will be playing in.

Ryan Nassib is the best QB available for the Buffalo Bills in the 2013 draft.

You guys can continue to spin it any way you want on who's better then who, but the Bills are going to draft Ryan Nassib in my opinion regardless of what you or I, or anyone else says.

Note: Doug Marrone knows Nassib better then anyone and that is the biggest reason why he will become a Bill

Edited by dog14787

Geno Smith is not going to be there and besides, even if he was the Bills will still draft Nassib in my opinion because hes the better fit. Not just because he knows the offense, better fit for what Marrone is trying to do on Offense. Also a better fit as far as where he is playing and the type of conditions he will be playing in.

Ryan Nassib is the best QB available for the Buffalo Bills in the 2013 draft.

You guys can continue to spin it any way you want on who's better then who, but the Bills are going to draft Ryan Nassib in my opinion regardless of what you or I, or anyone else says.

Note: Doug Marrone knows Nassib better then anyone and that is the biggest reason why he will become a Bill

If so, that is foolish.

I tend to think that if Marrone could have recruited any QB in the country, it probably wouldn't have been Nassib. Not because he is bad, but because there are better ones out there. This is his chance. You design your offense with your best players in mind. If Marrone is so limited in his philosophy that a better athlete with a better arm and uncanny accuracy can't be incorporated into it, we are f---ed.

If so, that is foolish.

I tend to think that if Marrone could have recruited any QB in the country, it probably wouldn't have been Nassib. Not because he is bad, but because there are better ones out there. This is his chance. You design your offense with your best players in mind. If Marrone is so limited in his philosophy that a better athlete with a better arm and uncanny accuracy can't be incorporated into it, we are f---ed.

If you knew, or at least thought you knew you had a guy that can carve up a defense in a Brady like manner, and I'm not saying Nassibs Brady, but wouldn't you keep him?

You guys are going on the notion Marrone wants to keep Nassib ( or may) because hes familiar with him which is only part of it, the other part is Marrone knows his QB is a good one, get it?

Is that so difficult to comprehend that our HC may draft nassib because he knows better then anyone how good hes going to be?

I mean come on fellas...

Edited by dog14787

If you knew, or at least thought you knew you had a guy that can carve up a defense in a Brady like manner, and I'm not saying Nassibs Brady, but wouldn't you keep him?

You guys are going on the notion Marrone wants to keep Nassib because hes familiar with him which is only part of it, the other part is Marrone knows his QB is a good one, get it?

Is that so difficult to comprehend that our HC may draft nassib because he knows better then anyone how good hes going to be?

I mean come on fellas...

You assume that Marrone thinks he's a good one... Maybe he doesn't. Truth is you can't say whether he thinks he's good or bad. That's something I'm sure Marrone will keep within the organization.

You guys are going on the notion Marrone wants to keep Nassib because hes familiar with him which is only part of it, the other part is Marrone knows his QB is a good one, get it?

I mean come on fellas...

But you don't know what Marrone really thinks of Nassib, and especially don't know what he thinks of Smith and Barkley and Wilson and Manuel, etc. Even the public statements he's made about liking Nassib can only count as so much because even if he didnt think he was a franchise QB in the NFL he would have said the same things.

Senior Bowl? WTF? A beauty contest? Playing a meaninglees game with a bunch of strsngers in a totally different offense with a week to prrpare? Running qbs might look sexy on that runway.

The facts are the facts and the numbers are the numbers and the numbers say Nassib's are better than the the previous two #8's. What did Tannehill and Locker do in the senior bowl? Did they even suit up? Geno skipped the beuty contest for a reason... because that game takes a qb way out of his element, skill set, and comfort zone. BTW, Your seasons tix have nothing to do with it. He shattered Big East and many of McNabb's records.... it is ignorant to say he can't play in the NFL. It aint like he's Rob Anderson or Troy Nunes.

Yeah, it was a beauty contest and all Nassib had to do was not look terrible. He was unable to pull it off. You are right though, he did amass some great stats against Stony Brook and Temple. He also amassed those stats playing half of his games indoors. I have watched him for years, he isn't an NFL starter. And he sure as hell is not better than the real talent available to us at #8.

Yeah, it was a beauty contest and all Nassib had to do was not look terrible. He was unable to pull it off. You are right though, he did amass some great stats against Stony Brook and Temple. He also amassed those stats playing half of his games indoors. I have watched him for years, he isn't an NFL starter. And he sure as hell is not better than the real talent available to us at #8.

Most Bills fans have watched this kid grow so theres no BS ing the Bills fan base with this, oh, I've watched this guy.

I've been watching him myself and came up with a totally different conclusion.

I'm also willing to bet the Bills HC does not share your opinion of Ryan Nassib

Totally agree with this take...I've been saying all along that Marrone and Hackett are going to feel like kids in a candy store with all these QB's to evaluate and project...IF they go with Nassib out of all these guys, and that's a BIG if...You better believe they think he's the best option all things considered...And I've also felt all along that based on reasonable odds, with all the options after Geno Smith, chances are VERY good they would like at least one of these QB's more than Nassib... B-)

Senior Bowl? WTF? A beauty contest? Playing a meaninglees game with a bunch of strsngers in a totally different offense with a week to prrpare? Running qbs might look sexy on that runway.

The facts are the facts and the numbers are the numbers and the numbers say Nassib's are better than the the previous two #8's. What did Tannehill and Locker do in the senior bowl? Did they even suit up? Geno skipped the beuty contest for a reason... because that game takes a qb way out of his element, skill set, and comfort zone. BTW, Your seasons tix have nothing to do with it. He shattered Big East and many of McNabb's records.... it is ignorant to say he can't play in the NFL. It aint like he's Rob Anderson or Troy Nunes.

Yeah, it was a beauty contest and all Nassib had to do was not look terrible. He was unable to pull it off. You are right though, he did amass some great stats against Stony Brook and Temple. He also amassed those stats playing half of his games indoors. I have watched him for years and in my opinion, he isn't an NFL starter. And he sure as hell is not better than the real talent available to us at #8 at a wealth of other positions.

Dear TBD,

Put the Geno Smith vs Baylor tape away and watch the rest of the season. You will find that he is a mess who completes WR Screens, and 5 yard crossing routes all day long. His receivers rack up incredible YAC numbers. He sucks against Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas St, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Oh yeah Syracuse.

His INT numbers are skewed because he doesn't throw the ball downfield unless he can get Tayvon Austin in single coverage. Half the time Austin has to dive to catch the damn thing.

Also, don't ask him to throw a 10 yard out because it will end up in the first row. You bet he has some highlights for sure. That will happen when you dump it off to sub 4.5 40 receivers all day and then bomb the long ball. He will miss most of them though. Especially when the game is on the line.

Watch some real tape like my game against USC. It was kind of rough but I get better every week after that. I show up when i'm needed most and my draft stock is rising. Geno gets worse as the season progresses. He should be falling but he is a physical freak who looks great on TV.

Sincerely,

Ryan Nassib

Dear TBD,

Put the Geno Smith vs Baylor tape away and watch the rest of the season. You will find that he is a mess who completes WR Screens, and 5 yard crossing routes all day long. His receivers rack up incredible YAC numbers. He sucks against Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas St, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Oh yeah Syracuse.

His INT numbers are skewed because he doesn't throw the ball downfield unless he can get Tayvon Austin in single coverage. Half the time Austin has to dive to catch the damn thing.

Also, don't ask him to throw a 10 yard out because it will end up in the first row. You bet he has some highlights for sure. That will happen when you dump it off to sub 4.5 40 receivers all day and then bomb the long ball. He will miss most of them though. Especially when the game is on the line.

Watch some real tape like my game against USC. It was kind of rough but I get better every week after that. I show up when i'm needed most and my draft stock is rising. Geno gets worse as the season progresses. He should be falling but he is a physical freak who looks great on TV.

Sincerely,

Ryan Nassib

Dear Ryan,

Please understand that no TBD member has access to "tape" as you claim. All we can do is watch highlights or re-runs of games.

That said, please understand that the vast majority of people that get paid to evaluate football talent for a living think that Geno Smith is a better pro prospect than you. They may be wrong, but please stop acting like the members of TBD are idiots for thinking that.

Lastly, learn to spell Tavon Austin's name...he could very well end up your pro teammate, since he'll be a first round pick, and you'll go in the 2nd round.

Sincerely,

TheBandit27

Dear Ryan,

Please understand that no TBD member has access to "tape" as you claim. All we can do is watch highlights or re-runs of games.

That said, please understand that the vast majority of people that get paid to evaluate football talent for a living think that Geno Smith is a better pro prospect than you. They may be wrong, but please stop acting like the members of TBD are idiots for thinking that.

Lastly, learn to spell Tavon Austin's name...he could very well end up your pro teammate, since he'll be a first round pick, and you'll go in the 2nd round.

Sincerely,

TheBandit27

Actually there are tapes on Ryan and Geno on YouTube that show every play of every game.

Dear Ryan,

Sincerely,

TheBandit27

TheBandit27,

I would never question the intelligence of TBD's. They have proven themselves worthy experts. I just want to make sure they are getting all the information.

My version of tape consisted of about 45 minutes of You Tube. Therefore I know all.

I say Geno Smith sucks! You heard it here first.

Sincerely

Nasty Nassib