Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those wanting the Bills to take Nassib with the #8 pick just remember what the ultimate goal is for the team. That's to win the Superbowl of course. So with that, they will no doubt be facing one of these QBs...Rogers, Brees, Manning, Kaepernick, RGIII, WIlson or Newton. Do you honestly believe that Nassib has the kind of ability to win against one of those QBs in the Superbowl? I don't. I think his ceiling is that of a guy like Andy Dalton. If Dalton ever got his team in the Superbowl against one of those QBs then the Bengals would be 10 point underdogs.

If the Bills pick Nassib at #8, they are telling everyone that he will be as good as one of those NFC QBs that I mentioned. Their head coach is Nassib's college coach so they will have no choice but to say that with a straight face. That's far fetched to me. Marrone coached Brees, so he obviously knows what kind of elite level QB play they'd be facing in the Superbowl. If Nassib's there at their second round pick and feel that there's the outside shot at him becoming as good as Eli Manning in a couple years then I wouldn't have a problem. I could buy that as taking a flyer on the guy. But picking him at #8 just doesn't pass the smell test right now. That is if their goal is to win a Superbowl and not just make the playoffs like the Bengals do without ever having a legitimate shot at a winning a championship when you look at the highly talented QBs in the other conference.

It's my hope the Bills can trade down for a 2014 1st round pick as ammo for a trade up to get a legitimate franchise QB in next year's draft. The flyer QB I'd take in the 2nd round this year would be EJ Manuel who looks like the only QB in this draft that has the "high ceiling" talent to eventually compete with the best in the Superbowl.

Edited by 1billsfan

For all those wanting the Bills to take Nassib with the #8 pick just remember what the ultimate goal is for the team. That's to win the Superbowl of course. So with that, they will no doubt be facing one of these QBs...Rogers, Brees, Manning, Kaepernick, RGIII, WIlson or Newton. Do you honestly believe that Nassib has the kind of ability to win against one of those QBs in the Superbowl? I don't. I think his ceiling is that of a guy like Andy Dalton. If Dalton ever got his team in the Superbowl against one of those QBs then the Bengals would be 10 point underdogs.

If the Bills pick Nassib at #8, they are telling everyone that he will be as good as one of those NFC QBs that I mentioned. Their head coach is Nassib's college coach so they will have no choice but to say that with a straight face. That's far fetched to me. Marrone coached Brees, so he obviously knows what kind of elite level QB play they'd be facing in the Superbowl. If Nassib's there at their second round pick and feel that there's the outside shot at him becoming as good as Eli Manning in a couple years then I wouldn't have a problem. I could buy that as taking a flyer on the guy. But picking him at #8 just doesn't pass the smell test right now. That is if their goal is to win a Superbowl and not just make the playoffs like the Bengals do without ever having a legitimate shot at a winning a championship when you look at the highly talented QBs in the other conference.

It's my hope the Bills can trade down for a 2014 1st round pick as ammo for a trade up to get a legitimate franchise QB in next year's draft. The flyer QB I'd take in the 2nd round this year would be EJ Manuel who looks like the only QB in this draft that has the "high ceiling" talent to eventually compete with the best in the Superbowl.

Did you really just use Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton and RGIII in the same sentence as Rogers, Brees and Manning?

I think the list you provide as comparisons is funny. The last 4 have not sniffed a Superbowl yet. Brees was a second round pick, so nobody thought he was elite. Kaep and Wilson were also passed over more than once by most teams in the league. The draft is a crapshoot. Teams find quality QBs every year. Let's hope the Bills do it this year. I don't care which guy they take or what round they take him in, I just want them to identify their guys and go get him.

Very fair assesment. Just remember, most of these guys will have warts, (unless it is Luck or Griffin), and sometimes it might be worth the reach.

Here are my thoughts, as I have watched quite a bit of him both this season and last season.

- Very smart with the football - rarely will you see him make one of those "What the hell was he thinking" throws ala Fitzpatrick.

- Tough as nails

- Can make all of the throws but agree that his touch could be better

However, I think we should seriously consider him at 8, and here is why. He can step in and play right away, as he has played in this offense for four years. There is enough talent on defense to be competitive right away, and for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years, if you have a chance to plug a guy in right away and he is an immediate upgrade over the garbage QBs that we have (or have had over the last several years) you take it. There is no guarantee that he will be there in the second round and there is not another QB, other than Tyler Wilson, that I think can start right away.

I haven't formed an opinion about Nassib one way or another (nor am I fully qualified to do so), but just because he played for Marrone/Hackett at Syracuse doesn't mean that:

1. The Bills offense will be the same scheme they ran at Syracuse

2. That Nassib is good enough to play in the NFL, even if they run the same system as Syracuse did.

3. Even if he is good enough, no guarantee that it won't take him considerable time to learn to read NFL defenses and adapt the the increased talent level of the opponents.

We know that Fitz is not quite good enough to get this team to the playoffs, but that doesn't mean that any of a large number of rookies from this class are as good or better than Fitz (immediately or ever).

Did you really just use Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton and RGIII in the same sentence as Rogers, Brees and Manning?

Yes I did. Because I was looking at the next 10 years of NFC Superbowl QBs and Nassib's chances of being anywhere near favored over one of them. Kaerpernick, Wilson, RGIII or Newton making Superbowl appearances in the next 10 years is far fetched to you?

What, am I supposed to apologize for being skeptical that Nassib is close to that kind of talent level? I get that it'd be a great western New York storyline, but I want the Bills to win a Superbowl. If they do pick Nassib at #8, then I want you and everyone here wanting Nassib at #8 to say that he's has a great shot to become an NFL elite QB and beat one of the guys I mentioned in the Superbowl within the next 10 years. Because if you can't say that with a straight face then he should be picked in round 2 or later.

The goal is to WIN the Superbowl, not just get in the playoffs or get to the Superbowl and lose.

Yes I did. Because I was looking at the next 10 years of NFC Superbowl QBs and Nassib's chances of being anywhere near favored over one of them. Kaerpernick, Wilson, RGIII or Newton making Superbowl appearances in the next 10 years is far fetched to you?

What, am I supposed to apologize for being skeptical that Nassib is close to that kind of talent level? I get that it'd be a great western New York storyline, but I want the Bills to win a Superbowl. If they do pick Nassib at #8, then I want you and everyone here wanting Nassib at #8 to say that he's has a great shot to become an NFL elite QB and beat one of the guys I mentioned in the Superbowl within the next 10 years. Because if you can't say that with a straight face then he should be picked in round 2 or later.

The goal is to WIN the Superbowl, not just get in the playoffs or get to the Superbowl and lose.

Our top priority is to find a good QB, no? Ryan nassib has played in the system, reduces the learning curve, kid has a big arm, ran a pro style offense, hes smart, tough, shows good leadership abilities.

Ryan Nassib may not be the next Jim Kelly but he has a lot of positive attributes that points towards having success at the next level.

Drafting a QB is always a crap shoot...

Edited by dog14787

In my opinion only Geno Smith is worth consideration at 8, Matt Barkley and Zac Dysert (on upside) would be good 2nd round choices- everybody else has big concerns (poor mobility , inaccurate, concussion history, slow delivery, suspect nfl durability, simplified one read offense, poor performance under pressure).

The ultimate long term goal is to win a SB. The current goal this offseason is to find the QB they feel gives them the best chance to win. If you don't understand this, I don't know what to say. If there's a QB available at 8 that really like, take him....or risk losing him. Just because you don't think he can be an elite QB.......doesn't mean jack. Teams didn't think Bree's, Brady, Montana and Favre were elite. Look how that turned out.

I totally understand being skeptical about Nassib being an elite talent. But your statements are a bit melodramatic. There is no guarantee than Rg3, Kaep, Wilson or Newton will ever win a Superbowl. No guarantees that they will have any better of a career than Nassib is capable of. They have all taken the first step towards it, Nassib has not had the opportunity yet. My thinking is that Marrone and Hackett have been with the kid for 3+ years. If they have enough confidence in him to take him at 8. I am going to be very excited to see how he develops. It would be a gutsy move. They would get crucified for it. But he turns out to be good, it is a great move. If he flops, Marrone will be fired in 3 years. Time will tell. Nobody thought Tom Brady was anything special. Nobody thought Russel Wilson would play this well this fast. The experts honestly don't know. I am excited to find out. I know I would be miserable if the Bills pass on Nassib only to have the Jets take him right after our pick and see him turn out great.

The ultimate long term goal is to win a SB. The current goal this offseason is to find the QB they feel gives them the best chance to win. If you don't understand this, I don't know what to say. If there's a QB available at 8 that really like, take him....or risk losing him. Just because you don't think he can be an elite QB.......doesn't mean jack. Teams didn't think Bree's, Brady, Montana and Favre were elite. Look how that turned out.

Well said

I really think we need to go after Tyler Bray................................................................... :)

I honestly feel that the way the first 7 picks fall will decide if they go after Nassib at #8 or not...if the draft plays out like some of the mockers have shown ( no qb's taken in top 10 ), then Buffalo probably won't make Nassib the first QB drafted...if somewhere in the teens we start to see teams draft Smith and Barkley, we might see Buffalo fight hard to get back into the 1st to grab a QB...most draft sites have Nassib rated 4th best QB, so Buffalo won't wait to see if he falls to them in the 2nd if QB's start getting drafted in round 1...This, of course, is if Buffalo even wants Nassib...same scenario different QB if not Nassib

BTW....how did you find SU games on youtube??..I typed in a bunch of stuff and couldn't find anything...just highlights and interviews...

Edited by Tsaikotic

Enough of this trade back crap. Ponder, Locker, and Gabbert were all what, top 12 picks two years ago? Thats after Newton was picked too.

What makes anyone thing we are going to get our top QB if we trade back? We may need to trade UP.

Nassib is big and tall and throws it a country mile. He has dispalyed great accuracy on a number of throws. His entire coaching staff is now our coaching staff.

If they like this kid we arent trading back.

I totally understand being skeptical about Nassib being an elite talent. But your statements are a bit melodramatic. There is no guarantee than Rg3, Kaep, Wilson or Newton will ever win a Superbowl. No guarantees that they will have any better of a career than Nassib is capable of. They have all taken the first step towards it, Nassib has not had the opportunity yet. My thinking is that Marrone and Hackett have been with the kid for 3+ years. If they have enough confidence in him to take him at 8. I am going to be very excited to see how he develops. It would be a gutsy move. They would get crucified for it. But he turns out to be good, it is a great move. If he flops, Marrone will be fired in 3 years. Time will tell. Nobody thought Tom Brady was anything special. Nobody thought Russel Wilson would play this well this fast. The experts honestly don't know. I am excited to find out. I know I would be miserable if the Bills pass on Nassib only to have the Jets take him right after our pick and see him turn out great.

If they do it then it shouldn't even be considered a gutsy move. They would have to say that Nassib has a high probability of becoming an elite NFL QB if they pick him at #8. They were his coaches for the last three years and Marrone having coached Brees knows what kind of elite QB talent you need to win a Superbowl in today's NFL. Right now, I think it's a stretch to view Nassib as having an elite level ceiling. I could change my mind down the road, but I'm certainly not there right now.

I hope the Bills draft EJ Manuel in the 2nd who I think has an elite level ceiling. If they take Nassib in the 2nd I'll have no problem with it. Because the Bills desperately need a franchise QB and both QBs would be worth taking a chance on at that point.