So who is going to be celebrating Dyngus Day?

I won't be in Buffalo but there is a Boston Dyngus celebration put on by the Boston Bills Backers Monday at the Tavern at the End of the World in Charlestown. I read Pittsburgh is having some kind of party too. Any Dyngus festivities where you live?

PTR

Why not Chicago?

PTR

I am not sure why it doesn't play a bigger role... Especially in the heavy Polish parts of the city (northwest etc...)... It is very localized w/BFLO being a hot bed... Some reason South Bend really gets into it? I will have to look it up. Here, nobody really has ever heard of it and if so, vaguely. Southeast side, around the steel mills, on the Indiana Line has been traditionally Polish... But not into Dyngus Day... Go figure? I think it was revived in BFLO during the 1960's??

What is Dyngus Day?

This is a yearly debate among Dyngus Day revelers. The tradition holds true that on Easter Monday boys would sprinkle the girls with water and tap them with pussywillows. On Easter Tuesday, the women would return the favorite. During modern Dyngus Day it is common practice that both men and women trade water and pussywillow equally.

In a nutshell it's the opposite of Mardi Gras. You blow off steam after 40 days of Lent. Plus the whole welcoming of spring thing. Traditionally men would dump buckets of water on women and switch their butt and legs with pussywillow branches. You know, foreplay. Plus drinking, eating and dancing the polka.

These days you use a water pistol and women are allowed to hit men with their pussywillows. Expect Dyngus Day to go nationwide as soon as the beer companies get wise to this heavy drinking holiday between St. Patty's and Cinco de Mayo

Party Pooper Cooper.

Apparently Anderson Cooper bailed out of attending Dyngus Day in Buffalo.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What is Dyngus Day?

In a nutshell it's the opposite of Mardi Gras. You blow off steam after 40 days of Lent. Plus the whole welcoming of spring thing. Traditionally men would dump buckets of water on women and switch their butt and legs with pussywillow branches. You know, foreplay. Plus drinking, eating and dancing the polka.

These days you use a water pistol and women are allowed to hit men with their pussywillows. Expect Dyngus Day to go nationwide as soon as the beer companies get wise to this heavy drinking holiday between St. Patty's and Cinco de Mayo

Party Pooper Cooper.

Apparently Anderson Cooper bailed out of attending Dyngus Day in Buffalo.

PTR

Interesting... Especially seeing that NoSaint says it is taking on in NOLA...Makes sense... Bracket Lent on both ends...

Really it makes a ton of sense for NoLa. Now can those jazz bands play a polka?

PTR

LoL... Shouldn't be hard... Especially the dancing! Only two steps. What other form of music was created that even somebody blitzed couldn't screw it up! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just got back from the Boston Dyngus fest. Very low key, about 20 Boston Bills Backers plus folks who stumbled in. Polish beers plus a kielbasa, pirogi and beef-on-weck buffet. Good time had by all. No serious pussywillow welts.

PTR

My head hurts from too much Tyskie...

While it was cold, the world's best Polish rock band Them Idiots had us all dancing. Huge crowd, everyone getting whacked by willows. We went to Corpus Christi's community center after that, which was way too packed, so we ended up going to the Polish Cadets on the corner of Grant and Amherst. That was a blast. My head hurts....

They don't have it here :o

I wonder why. LOL

My head hurts from too much Tyskie...

While it was cold, the world's best Polish rock band Them Idiots had us all dancing. Huge crowd, everyone getting whacked by willows. We went to Corpus Christi's community center after that, which was way too packed, so we ended up going to the Polish Cadets on the corner of Grant and Amherst. That was a blast. My head hurts....

Here in Texas?

Sausage on the grill soon.

My Texas Rangers loose later I will really in

the spirit and throw some plastic dishes on

the floor!

I was going to do the Buffalo east side, later learned the Buffalo Central Terminal was closed for work. So we did not go there, did the Millenium hotel in Cheektowaga instead. They were going until Tuesday 4am. Got to learn to polka some day :thumbsup:

I don't like it when Easter is in March! The weather usually sucks, especially in WNY, and I'm barely recovered from St Patrick's Day when Dyngus Day comes along.

If Dyngus Day could be closer to the Draft, it may make it easier on all of us.