Question about compensatory picks???

Estro

Okay so I have a few questions regarding the requirements that go into being awarded compensatory selections. I understand 90% of what goes into the awarding of these picks but here's what I'm wondering. Will Donald Jones and David Nelson (assuming he's signed) be considered losses. The reason I ask is they were both undrafted and we would have been able to keep both via restricting them as free agents, but we chose not to do so. So I'm wondering if undrafted free agents aren't considered in net free agents gained vs. lost, and I'm also wondering if the fact that they could've been retained via RFA tenders, but were not has any bearing on the compensatory consideration. Anyone who might know the facts on these fine details, enlighten me. A third question, would then be........does a player (David Nelson) have to be signed by another team, in order to be considered a "lost" FA? And a 4th question - does signing one of your own FA's (Tashard Choice) count as an added FA? I'm assuming not since I thought it has to be a FA from another team. The reason I'm asking all of this is I'm thinking losing out on Fred Davis might be a blessing in disguise when compensatory picks are handed out next year. So far we've lost - Andy LeVitre (6 years - $46.8 million), Chad Rinehart (1 year - $1.75 million), Donald Jones (3 years - $3.71 million with $4.5 million in incentives), and David Nelson (once again not sure if he counts, because he remains unsigned).................and we've only signed 1 FA, Manny Lawson (4 years - $12 million). So by my count we're in line to receive multiple compensatory picks, one of which might be a 3rd or 4th rounder due to the departure of Andy LeVitre. Then again it might not be multiple picks if Nelson and Jones don't count because they were originally UDFA.

Compensatory picks this year are based on last year's free agent losses, as far as I know.

It also has to do with the amount of money they sign for as opposed to players we sign. So f Nelson gets a 10 million dollar contract (which he won't) and we sign Manny Lawson for 6 million, we could be entiltled to a comp pick (but not a high one)

Draft status doesn't matter but since we had a means to keep them and declined to tender them, they will not be in our equation next year. That was our chance to get compensation for them walking.

It also has to do with the amount of money they sign for as opposed to players we sign. So f Nelson gets a 10 million dollar contract (which he won't) and we sign Manny Lawson for 6 million, we could be entiltled to a comp pick (but not a high one)

If the ratio is 1-1 on bodies, you can only get a 7th. If we sign one extra guy, then the dollars don't matter at all, ineligible

So where do we "officially" stand as of now? Does anyone have a pretty good idea? I get somewhat confused with some of the rules on this, but some of you seem to have a good handle on the way it works. I've been wondering where we stand right now myself and if we have any other guys out there who played for us last year that if they sign elsewhere we can gain a pick for.

So where do we "officially" stand as of now? Does anyone have a pretty good idea? I get somewhat confused with some of the rules on this, but some of you seem to have a good handle on the way it works. I've been wondering where we stand right now myself and if we have any other guys out there who played for us last year that if they sign elsewhere we can gain a pick for.

Not looking great.

Wilson, fitz and Barnett were cuts and not eligible

Nelson and jones were untendered RFAs

Kelsey and merriman retired and don't count

So our guards are it for current losses

We signed Lawson so he would cancel rhinehart leaving us a 3rd or 4th for levitre but our next signing will kick that to a 7th

With so many holes, and so few eligible losses I'm not sure this ends in our favor. We will sign a couple free agents, even if its slow or lackluster.

With choice signed, that leaves thigpen as the only guy I can think of off hand that is still likely to sign elsewhere and count in our favor.

Edited by NoSaint

Not looking great.

Wilson, fitz and Barnett were cuts and not eligible

Nelson and jones were untendered RFAs

Kelsey and merriman retired and don't count

So our guards are it for current losses

We signed Lawson so he would cancel rhinehart leaving us a 3rd or 4th for levitre but our next signing will kick that to a 7th

With so many holes, and so few eligible losses I'm not sure this ends in our favor. We will sign a couple free agents, even if its slow or lackluster.

With choice signed, that leaves thigpen as the only guy I can think of off hand that is still likely to sign elsewhere and count in our favor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can still sign any FAs that were cut (I.e. Barnett and Wilson), and that doesn't factor into the equation.

That's why Ozzie Newsome is such a stud: Loses Reed, Kruger, and Ellerbe as UFAs (all pumping up their compensatory pick eligibility), sign Canty, Spears, Dumervil, and Huff, all cut. That's why they are a top notch franchise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can still sign any FAs that were cut (I.e. Barnett and Wilson), and that doesn't factor into the equation.

That's why Ozzie Newsome is such a stud: Loses Reed, Kruger, and Ellerbe as UFAs (all pumping up their compensatory pick eligibility), sign Canty, Spears, Dumervil, and Huff, all cut. That's why they are a top notch franchise.

We can. I'm not holding my breathe though. We are only down one, and likely have several (atleast depth) signings coming up.