Bellator MMA: Anyone a Fan?

ajzepp

So a couple weeks ago I decided to order UFC 158 to see the GSP and Johnny Hendricks fights. I ended up having a blast with it, which has rekindled my interest in MMA. I used to follow it pretty closely back in the early '90s when guys like Oleg Taktarov, Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Royce Gracie were fighting on some of the early UFC events. I've since come to see MMA as the purest form of athletic competition on earth...it's me and my style of fighting vs you and your style. No sticks, balls, goals, or anything else...just my skills vs yours. Pretty awesome!

Anyway, I saw that Spike has this Bellator organization on each Thursday so last week I watched it. I have to say, the pacing of the show and the quality of the fights are very impressive. They don't waste a lot of time yapping or watching them walk to the ring, they give you a quick blurb about the fighters, get them in the ring and they fight. Last week I saw a nice variety of finishes...couple submissions, one or two quick KOs, one or two that went to the judges. The fighters are very active and don't seem to be interested in posturing or farting around...they quickly engaged their opponent and got down to business.

I'm not sure I fully understand how this is structure, but apparently it's based on season-long tourneys in each weight class, with the winners of the tourneys earning a bout against the champs. So far I'm really entertained by this format and these bouts, so just curious if anyone else is a fan of this company?

Haven't seen this brand but have watched other MMA fights. My son wrestles in HS (195 lbs) and I have come to appreciate the athleticism these young men demonstrate week in and week out. To watch MMA is over the top skills, strength, endurance and raw adrenaline. These men are warriors and knowledgeable fighters. Will it become an Olympic sport??? Hey, if they got rid of Freestyle wrestling, this could be a modern substitute (kick Rhythmic Gymnastics to the curb). I'll watch this channel though. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Haven't seen this brand but have watched other MMA fights. My son wrestles in HS (195 lbs) and I have come to appreciate the athleticism these young men demonstrate week in and week out. To watch MMA is over the top skills, strength, endurance and raw adrenaline. These men are warriors and knowledgeable fighters. Will it become an Olympic sport??? Hey, if they got rid of Freestyle wrestling, this could be a modern substitute (kick Rhythmic Gymnastics to the curb). I'll watch this channel though. Thanks for the heads up.

Very cool! And that's an interesting suggestion about MMA becoming an olympic sport. When I first started watching it was more like a tough man contest where there weren't any weight classes and the guys would fight up to three or four times per night tourney style until there was a winner. It's evolved into such a structured sport now that I think it could easily transition to something like the olympics. And lol@thythmic gymnastics...I don't even know what the hell that is, but if it's in the olympics Im with you...get rid of it!

If you check out the Bellator fights, let me know what you think. Next Thursday 4/4 is, I think, the season finale, but it looks like there are at least two seasons per year, so shouldn't be long until it starts up again.

Very cool! And that's an interesting suggestion about MMA becoming an olympic sport. When I first started watching it was more like a tough man contest where there weren't any weight classes and the guys would fight up to three or four times per night tourney style until there was a winner. It's evolved into such a structured sport now that I think it could easily transition to something like the olympics. And lol@thythmic gymnastics...I don't even know what the hell that is, but if it's in the olympics Im with you...get rid of it!

If you check out the Bellator fights, let me know what you think. Next Thursday 4/4 is, I think, the season finale, but it looks like there are at least two seasons per year, so shouldn't be long until it starts up again.

I'll do that and report back. In the interim, go to YouTube and type in "rhythmic gymnastics" and explain to me how chicks with ribbons on sticks is consistent with early Greek games more so than wrestling or MMA. If you ever saw the movie "Old School" Will Ferrell did a rhythmic gymnastics thing in the contest that was hilarious. I know you're a movie buff so I'm sure you've seen it.

I'll do that and report back. In the interim, go to YouTube and type in "rhythmic gymnastics" and explain to me how chicks with ribbons on sticks is consistent with early Greek games more so than wrestling or MMA. If you ever saw the movie "Old School" Will Ferrell did a rhythmic gymnastics thing in the contest that was hilarious. I know you're a movie buff so I'm sure you've seen it.

Whoa, seriously, that's a SPORT?? That's embarrassing lol. At first the only thing that was coming to mind was that rythmic stuff they do in the pool that was parodied by SNL back in the early 80s...how does this stuff become an olympic event?

Talking about Old School makes me feel like firing it up again! :thumbsup:

I saw this Emanuel Newton guy fight from this past Thursday, and when I was looking up some of his other fights I came across this one against King Mo. Talk about a great finish!!

The King never even saw this coming...

http://www.eog.com/bellator-90-muhammed-king-mo-lawal-vs-emanuel-newton-full-fight-video/

I saw this Emanuel Newton guy fight from this past Thursday, and when I was looking up some of his other fights I came across this one against King Mo. Talk about a great finish!!

The King never even saw this coming...

http://www.eog.com/bellator-90-muhammed-king-mo-lawal-vs-emanuel-newton-full-fight-video/

Those are a couple of tough dudes. The closed fist reverse swing to the chin...ouch. He even goes in for the submission at the end only to find King is already counting stars. What amazes me is how quick those big guys are; their reflexes are amazing. Both landed shots to the chin that would have left an average man sleeping. Really tough guys.

Signed,

Hank the Tank