WNY taxes and fees (again)

What NY needs to do is charge an inconvenience fee to people like this woman. If she asks enough questions and does enough homework only to find out it's too expensive and ridiculous to start her own company, they should charge her a fee for all the inconvenience she caused the state by wasting their time in the first place.

Besides, everyone knows the only way her business would be successful is by luck.

What NY needs to do is charge an inconvenience fee to people like this woman. If she asks enough questions and does enough homework only to find out it's too expensive and ridiculous to start her own company, they should charge her a fee for all the inconvenience she caused the state by wasting their time in the first place.

Besides, everyone knows the only way her business would be successful is by luck.

Not only that, but since she apparently has failed to create (or save) any jobs, she should be taxed for failure to do her fair share to get Americans working again.

Obama can't do it all by himself!

Sorry to get all elitist and rain on the parade... ;-) :-P

Maybe they are actually trying to discourage this kind of business... Gasp, in NYS it should be easy! They can do it without even trying. Next time Marshawn is stammering drunk on Chippewa hitting fat Canadian chicks... Boy would a gourmet grilled cheese go good nicely washed down with the

Courvoisier and cigar rolling beast mode up to the roach coach in the Mercedes! :-)

Here is Houston's take on each side of the issue:

http://blog.chron.com/kuffsworld/2012/09/the-case-against-the-food-trucks/

Doesn't BFLO have enough crappy food... ??

Who really needs roach coaches? Gourmet grilled cheese? Give me a break. More like gourmet ptomaine on wheels. I know, I know... Start-ups just trying to hustle a buck selling food from a mobile unit. Heck, this is 2013 not 1913...

I guess they have to find a way to discourage this without flat out banning the things... Pay the 7 grand and you got a lot invested... One's not gonna have their illegal help dump grease down the city sewer... ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Maybe they are actually trying to discourage this kind of business... Gasp, in NYS it should be easy! They can do it without even trying. Next time Marshawn is stammering drunk on Chippewa hitting fat Canadian chicks... Boy would a gourmet grilled cheese go good nicely washed down with the

Courvoisier and cigar rolling beast mode up to the roach coach in the Mercedes! :-)

http://blog.chron.co...he-food-trucks/

Who really needs roach coaches? Gourmet grilled cheese? Give me a break. More like gourmet ptomaine on wheels. I know, I know... Start-ups just trying to hustle a buck selling food from a mobile unit. Heck, this is 2013 not 1913...

I guess they have to find a way to discourage this without flat out banning the things... Pay the 7 grand and you got a lot invested... One's not gonna have their illegal help dump grease down the city sewer... ;-) ;-)

I'm sure that you also work hard to "improve" the neighborhood that you live in by keeping the "undesirables" out.

http://blog.chron.co...he-food-trucks/

An article from the head of the restaurant association slamming food trucks. Gee, I wonder how he feels. Glad he was able to ascertain what's happening in NYC by googling it. :rolleyes:

You're right about one thing -- that you are way out of touch. In NYC there is a huge variety of really good food available these days from food carts. But I guess new ways to do things and competition are bad things in Buffalo. No wonder it's such an admired and emulated city.

Just saying that they are doing stuff like that (fees) to discourage the food truck trade. The link has both sides of the argument. It seems you are either for these things or against them. Same situation recently here in Chicago. IMO, it sure doesn't seem fair that they are pushing an anti-food truck agenda... But it is what it is. Outside of banning them totally, I guess the ones that want to get into that business won't be discouraged.

What else can it be? They don't want the trucks, right? This is one case where they are purposefully making it difficult. What part don't people understand?

I am sorry they don't want the roach coaches and are making it hard... Maybe they should have just banned them all together, then people what will cry about? Some idiot will still want to jam a square peg in a round hole like this "Cheesy Chick" lady... LoL... Damn gourmet grilled cheese must really be her passion!

Now everybody run along and convince people to open up a whale oil trading business...

I'm sure that you also work hard to "improve" the neighborhood that you live in by keeping the "undesirables" out.

LoL...

An article from the head of the restaurant association slamming food trucks. Gee, I wonder how he feels. Glad he was able to ascertain what's happening in NYC by googling it. :rolleyes:

You're right about one thing -- that you are way out of touch. In NYC there is a huge variety of really good food available these days from food carts. But I guess new ways to do things and competition are bad things in Buffalo. No wonder it's such an admired and emulated city.

Hey, I hear you... I am sorry they don't want them and these people can't take the hint.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Chicago's pretty much inline with Buffalo regarding food trucks. They're the latest expression of entrepreneurship from a new wave of privateers. The old guard doesn't like them and the competition they embody. Some things never change. Can't have a food truck within 200 feet of a bricks and mortar restaurant.

downtownmap.jpeg

Chicago's pretty much inline with Buffalo regarding food trucks. They're the latest exp<b></b>ression of entrepreneurship from a new wave of privateers. The old guard doesn't like them and the competition they embody. Some things never change. Can't have a food truck within 200 feet of a bricks and mortar restaurant.

downtownmap.jpeg

Cities find a way to do what they want. Adult entertainment has to be allowed in each community but is subject to each municipalitie's zoning restriction. The City of Buffalo allows it only in an Industrial zoned area and requires a building setback of 400' from any boundary line. Erie, PA allows it in one business zone but prevents it from being within 300' of any residence, church, daycare or anyplace where children might congregate. I've seen other communities make up a special zoning and then limit the areas to ones that already have a use that is never going away. I would expect Chicago to be at the forefront of restrictive regulations--like only allowing roach wagons in no parking zones and then ticketing the hell out of them.

I am pretty torn on this issue. There are valid arguments to be made for both sides. IMO, the last thing BFLO needs are food trucks undermining brick and mortar business... NOW, Chicago may be able to handle it as an overflow food system... Same with the other big cities. Nobody is going to go to a city JUST because they have roach coaches. Again, I am torn... Like the immigration issue. The number one asset for these vehicles is their wheels... They set up and go... People eat elsewhere... Mess... Etc.. Etc... What would make them have a vested interest in the community? Huge fees/taxes? Seems like this is the only recourse? Like Nanker said... Pure privateers, which is good to an extent.

What is gonna get them to stay and lay down roots? I think of the big hot dog chain in Chicago: Portillo's. That started from modest roots as one little "dog house" in Villa Park, IL, 1963:

http://www.portillos.com/history/

Chicago's pretty much inline with Buffalo regarding food trucks. They're the latest exp<b></b>ression of entrepreneurship from a new wave of privateers. The old guard doesn't like them and the competition they embody. Some things never change. Can't have a food truck within 200 feet of a bricks and mortar restaurant.

downtownmap.jpeg

I haven't looked @ that website Nanker... Pretty interesting... Is each of those orange circle a 200' radius? Oh my! Not much white to be had there! :-O

I am pretty torn on this issue. There are valid arguments to be made for both sides. IMO, the last thing BFLO needs are food trucks undermining brick and mortar business... NOW, Chicago may be able to handle it as an overflow food system... Same with the other big cities. Nobody is going to go to a city JUST because they have roach coaches. Again, I am torn... Like the immigration issue. The number one asset for these vehicles is their wheels... They set up and go... People eat elsewhere... Mess... Etc.. Etc... What would make them have a vested interest in the community? Huge fees/taxes? Seems like this is the only recourse? Like Nanker said... Pure privateers, which is good to an extent.

What is gonna get them to stay and lay down roots? I think of the big hot dog chain in Chicago: Portillo's. That started from modest roots as one little "dog house" in Villa Park, IL, 1963:

I haven't looked @ that website Nanker... Pretty interesting... Is each of those orange circle a 200' radius? Oh my! Not much white to be had there! :-O

I don't get it.

First of all, why should the feelings of the brick and mortars matter at all?

Secondly, they aren't being undermined; they are being competed with. Competition is good for the consumer. It drives down prices, and creates nitche markets and better service.

Lastly, nothing is stopping the brick and mortars from getting into the roach coach business.

Your argument is akin to disallowing modern air-traffic on the grounds that it's causing trouble for the hot-air balloon industry.

Your argument is akin to disallowing modern air-traffic on the grounds that it's causing trouble for the hot-air balloon industry.

Or disallowing Amazon and Ebay because they might drive Borders and Circuit City into bankruptcy...

Portillo's kicks azz. Their spicy Italian meat sandwich is fantastic.

Edited by Nanker