Would You Trade Out Of 1st Rd. This Year For a #2 And Next Years Possi

Nukethis

Simulated Drafts by using this idea, swapping our #1 this year for someone else's #1 next year plus a mid-RD2:

Green Bay wants Damonte Moore:

1 26 Green Bay Damontre Moore OLB34 Texas A&M

2 41 Buffalo Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas

2 55 Buffalo Robert Woods WRF USC

3 71 Buffalo Vance McDonald TE Rice

4 105 Buffalo Terron Armstead OT Arkansas - Pine Bluff

5 143 Buffalo Malliciah Goodman DE34 Clemson

6 177 Buffalo Travis Long OLB34 Washington State

Dallas wants a falling Sharrif Floyd:

1 8 Dallas Sharrif Floyd DT43 Florida

2 41 Buffalo Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State

2 47 Buffalo DeAndre Hopkins WRF Clemson

3 71 Buffalo Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

4 105 Buffalo Joseph Fauria TE UCLA

6 177 Buffalo J.C. Tretter OG Cornell

This is what providing a reasonable argument for trading down, to include providing a realistic trading partner(s), looks like.

I am quite pleased with these scenarios. Nice work Astrobot. I don't know how difficult this was for you, but hopefully you can set the example. The only question that remains is: how likely are these? What are the odds? 6/10? 2/10?

IF they are likely, then, and only then can this be used to conclude that "Nix had real options to trade down, and he chose not to use them, therefore he is a bad GM".

I also like it because it's predicated on something other than: "we should trade down because that's what Bill Belechick does". :rolleyes:

Simulated Drafts by using this idea, swapping our #1 this year for someone else's #1 next year plus a mid-RD2:

Green Bay wants Damonte Moore:

1 26 Green Bay Damontre Moore OLB34 Texas A&M

2 41 Buffalo Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas

2 55 Buffalo Robert Woods WRF USC

3 71 Buffalo Vance McDonald TE Rice

4 105 Buffalo Terron Armstead OT Arkansas - Pine Bluff

6 177 Buffalo Travis Long OLB34 Washington State

Dallas wants a falling Sharrif Floyd:

1 8 Dallas Sharrif Floyd DT43 Florida

2 41 Buffalo Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State

2 47 Buffalo DeAndre Hopkins WRF Clemson

3 71 Buffalo Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

4 105 Buffalo Joseph Fauria TE UCLA

6 177 Buffalo J.C. Tretter OG Cornell

Exactly. Then we either have TWO no. 1 picks next year or trade them to get the 1 overall.

Edited by 8and8Forever

How about the Bills simply drafting the Best QB available at #8 and follow that with the best WR available at #41... Nobody knows what will happen next year... The Bills need to find 4 good football players in this years draft... They should be able to replace Nelson and Jones with UFAs...

Just wondering here, but since the Bills are in obvious re-building mode for the umpteenth time would you trade the Bills 8th pick overall this year to a team that might be bad enough to give the bills a chance at the #1 overall pick in 2014 ? The trade would have to bring back the other teams 2nd round pick this year and their number 1 in 2014. The trade would also have to be with a team that is likely to have a poor record in 2013.Teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland and maybe Arizona need more help than just a 1st round pick (as the Bills do) and since the 2014 draft has better qb's it might pay off in the long term to lose now, win later. We are all tired of the Bills chronic losing but I'm looking at the long term success of the Bills and would put up with more pain now if it pays off in future wins.

If part of the package was a higher number 2 than we have i would.

How about the Bills simply drafting the Best QB available at #8 and follow that with the best WR available at #41... Nobody knows what will happen next year... The Bills need to find 4 good football players in this years draft... They should be able to replace Nelson and Jones with UFAs...

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I'm a little surprised so many posters are writing this season off already. The NFL is filled with mediocre to average teams; almost anything can happen year to year. With the new coaching staff and a solid foundation of playmakers on offense (Spiller, FJax, and Stevie) and defense (Mario & Kyle Williams, Dareus, and Byrd),I see no reason just to flush this year down the toilet.

I think if Marrone has the right stuff and can motivate these guys, they can sneak into a wildcard spot. We all know the Patriots are tough but you can't say the Dolphins or Jets are much better then we are.

I am all for with Nix selecting the best combo of QB & WR with our first 2 picks. Whether that is Geno Smith in the 1st & Keenan Allen in the 2nd or Cordarelle Patterson in the 1st and Ryan Nassib in the 2nd is up to Nix/Whaley.

I feel like if the Bengals were able to pull it off with Green and Dalton, why can't we? I would argue that we have a better foundation then that CIN team did 2 years ago.

I feel like if the Bengals were able to pull it off with Green and Dalton, why can't we? I would argue that we have a better foundation then that CIN team did 2 years ago.

There's nothing close to AJ Green in this draft. He makes Dalton look better than he is.

The Bengals main reason for their "success" is they built a great defense, and solid OL. I still have hope that the Bills did the majority of that last year, and that the complete ineptitude of Gailey handling defensive matters was the problem.

There's nothing close to AJ Green in this draft. He makes Dalton look better than he is.

The Bengals main reason for their "success" is they built a great defense, and solid OL. I still have hope that the Bills did the majority of that last year, and that the complete ineptitude of Gailey handling defensive matters was the problem.

I agree that there is no AJ Green in this draft but we can still massively upgrade our WR corps in the 1st or 2nd round. Patterson, Austin, Allen, or Hunter would all be day 1 starters opposite Stevie.

I think we have just as good of a foundation as the Bengals had going into that draft. The biggest thing holding back this team has been the ineptitude of the coaching staff. Our offense is just dying for a NFL caliber QB to step in and elevate them into an above average NFL offense. I truly feel that Spiller can be a MVP caliber offensive threat; he can do it all out of the backfield. Then we have the best backup RB in the league in FJax. Hell, with an actual NFL offensive coordinator, both of them can be on the field creating matchup nightmares for the defense. I don't think the loss of Levitre automatically makes this one of the worst offensive lines in the league as some posters and media types would lead you to believe

On defense, we have a very solid foundation for a real NFL DC to raise some hell. Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and Mark Anderson is still one hell of a defensive line. Yes, our LB corp is weak but the addition of Lawson and a 2nd or 3rd day LB should fix that. Once we get a more aggressive attack going on defense, our secondary should look better. Byrd is one of the best safety's in the league. Gilmore should take a step up in his 2nd year. I like Ron Brooks a lot in the nickleback role.

So this team had 2 major issues holding them back going into the off-season: QB and coaching staff. I feel like they have upgraded the coaching staff big time over Chan Gailey with Marrone and co. We just need to get our hands on one of those top 4 QB's

No way!, Geno or Barkley at 8 at lets get this team rolling. I'd hate to wait untill next year to find out Manziel isnt declaring and Bridgewater goes No.1 to Jags.

I don't want to wait another year for a QB either.

But besides Manziel and Bridgewater, AJ McCarron and Taj Boyd are also looking like high first rounders at the moment.

And there are a few other highly-rated QBs as well.

Just wondering here, but since the Bills are in obvious re-building mode for the umpteenth time would you trade the Bills 8th pick overall this year to a team that might be bad enough to give the bills a chance at the #1 overall pick in 2014 ? The trade would have to bring back the other teams 2nd round pick this year and their number 1 in 2014. The trade would also have to be with a team that is likely to have a poor record in 2013.Teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland and maybe Arizona need more help than just a 1st round pick (as the Bills do) and since the 2014 draft has better qb's it might pay off in the long term to lose now, win later. We are all tired of the Bills chronic losing but I'm looking at the long term success of the Bills and would put up with more pain now if it pays off in future wins.

Sure, but since we will have the top pick it wouldn't be prudent :D

OK and what happens if Pettin steps in and gets this defense playing the way it was supposed to this past year? Let us not forget the biggest problem of this team is the fact that we cant stop anybody or consistantly create turnovers.

Lets say we do that......then a Pettine led defense goes top 10......when we could have upgraded our offense this year and actually made the playoffs...

Look guys....playing the "preduct the future" game doesnt really work. Matt Barkely had he not gone back to school would have been a high pick.....what if whatever QB we fall in love with craps the bed? We will have sucked for nothing.

Intentionally being a loser breeds a loser mentality.....we need to get away from that.

Are you kidding with this post? With the Buffalo Bills luck over the last 13 years I would think that the team they trade their #1 away for would make the playoffs.

Besides, just look at the Bill second round picks the last 3 years.Name all the draft picks Nix has made after the first round that amounted to a hill of poo! The only player in this years draft I think will have any shot of amounting to anything is that #8 pick. Perhaps next year with Whaley in control things might be different.

Edited by FeartheLosing

No. Draft E.J. Manuel at 8.

This team is a real QB away from being a perennial playoff contender. So draft a real qb. If he sucks, then draft another one next year. Rinse, Repeat. At least give me something to root for next year.

Its too hard to predict which team will suck worse than the bills next year, if the bills dont draft a qb. So draft a qb (or three).

I like it a lot. I'm just not sure there would be any takers. Also, it's the sort of smart, long term move that OBD seemingly never even considers.

An idea like this would more than likely only benefit us. Other teams would laugh if we proposed this. Teams like the ones mentioned in the OP that are supposed to be rebuilding wouldn't give up a possible #1 overall pick like that.

If someone from another team proposed we give up our 1st next year this place would laugh.