Should JP get QB job w/o proving it on the field?

Shoul JO simply be given the #1 QB job?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Shoul JO simply be given the #1 QB job?

• Yes
    • No

What I don't understand about the wishes of the pro JP or anti-Bledsoe crowd is what they propose is actually the best thing for the Bills to do right now and for the 2005 season.

I certainly hope that JP has worked hard and will work hard this off-season and will come into the "voluntary" mini-camps and the pre-season and through his play on the field will make it impossible for MM and the brainrust to bench him. I don'tthink he needs to come in and show that he is already John Elway and Brett Farve rolled into one. I think if he comes in and shows enough that by investing in playing time for him in pre-season he can give us a credible shot at starting the season off on a winning note. Further, by a 1/4 of the way into the season he will have developed well enough that he and we can beat anyone anywhere.

The Bills cam within playing a good game against a better team playing its back-ups from making the playoffs and this was after an 0-4 start, so i do not think JP needs to provide a gurantee of initial victories in order to win the job.

However, I do trust Clements/MM and Wyche enough that if they judge JP not be up to that level they will and he should sit on the bench,

What is it that folks propose?

If you cut or trade Bledsoe before June 1st his remaining bonus accelerates into a cap hit for 2005 of $4.3 million, None of us know the cap budget for sure, but based on the best available info thanks to the work of folks like Clumping Platelets we would have about $1.1 million to spend on salary for a back-up to JP.

The current FA QB list is:

Player Status 2004 Team 2005 Team

Shane Matthews UFA Bills

Jim Miller UFA Patriots

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins

Josh Harris ERFA Ravens

Kordell Stewart UFA Ravens

Kelly Holcomb UFA Browns

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers

Tony Banks UFA Texans

Matt Mauck ERFA Broncos

Bradlee Van Pelt ERFA Broncos

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs

David Rivers ERFA Raiders

Drew Brees UFA Chargers

Mike McMahon UFA Lions

Rick Mirer UFA Lions

Craig Nall RFA Packers

Doug Pederson UFA Packers

Gus Frerotte UFA Vikings

Shaun Hill ERFA Vikings

Josh McCown RFA Cardinals

Matt Hasselbeck UFA Seahawks

Brock Huard UFA Seahawks

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

Rod Rutherford ERFA Panthers

Vinny Testaverde UFA Cowboys

Jesse Palmer UFA Giants

Jeff Blake UFA Eagles

Tim Hasselbeck ERFA Redskin

You can add likely cuts like McNair to this list (though even he will not likely be cur until after June 1st) if you want but I see no one on this list who it makessense for us to have as our #2 who we can get for a hair over a million.

Even if you wait until after June 1st the extra wiggle room you get by distributing his cap hit over two years is more workable doesn't do much for us financially and certainly isn't worth the loss of the spring minicamps and planning for use of this new player.

The bottomline is to me that Bledsoe remains a Bill in 2005.

This brings us to the next question. I think TDs statement that all players including Bledsoe will have to earn their job is exactly where I think we should be.

Some folks seem to be so future is later oriented that they are happy to give JP the starting job so he can develop and practice regardless of its immediate impact on our record. Not me (and fortunately I think no also TD's view). JP will need to show the braintrust of MM/Clements/Wyche that he merits the start with his work in practice and on the field in pre-season. I do not think he should be given the starters job based on his write-up in some draft book or his draft position.

Bledsoe does not give the Bills a good chance of winning the 2005 SB, but unless JP can beat him out in the eyes of the brainttrust I say have a seat bud.

The question here for Bills fans is not what you think of Bledsoe but whether you trust the leadership or not to win the games.

Of course not.

My take is this: management wants Losman to start next year - but NOT if he isn't ready.

Someone will compete with Losman for the job (who, I think, will be the front runner and will be given the benefit of the doubt). Whether it's Bledsoe or some other Veteran FA remains to be seen.

Personally, I'd rather see another Veteran FA brought in to compete for the job, simply because they would offer us something different than Bledsoe brings to the table.

I'd rather see another veteran brought in, too.......cut ties with Drew, bring in a solid, capable, veteran back-up, and let JP have his shot. What would change my mind, however, would be if MM, Wyche, et. al felt that there was some glaring weakness with JP at this point. You can't teach experience......so that's a moot point. But if JP knows the playbook, shows well in mini-camp and training camp, I say let him go on ahead.

Saying that we shouldn't start Losman until he's proven something on the field is like telling a kid he's not allowed in the pool until he's proven he knows how to swim.

198666[/snapback]

Good point. I think what FFS meant, though (and I can't say for certain; I'm not him), was "should Losman be annointed the starter or should he need to compete for it in training camp?", just maybe not worded that way.

What I don't understand about the wishes of the pro JP or anti-Bledsoe crowd is what they propose is actually the best thing for the Bills to do right now and for the 2005 season.

I certainly hope that JP has worked hard and will work hard this off-season and will come into the "voluntary" mini-camps and the pre-season and through his play on the field will make it impossible for MM and the brainrust to bench him.  I don'tthink he needs to come in and show that he is already John Elway and Brett Farve rolled into one.  I think if he comes in and shows enough that by investing in playing time for him in pre-season he can give us a credible shot at starting the season off on a winning note.  Further, by a 1/4 of the way into the season he will have developed well enough that he and we can beat anyone anywhere.

The Bills cam within playing a good game against a better team playing its back-ups from making the playoffs and this was after an 0-4 start, so i do not think JP needs to provide a gurantee of initial victories in order to win the job.

However, I do trust Clements/MM and Wyche enough that if they judge JP not be up to that level they will and he should sit on the bench,

What is it that folks propose?

If you cut or trade Bledsoe before June 1st his remaining bonus accelerates into a cap hit for 2005 of $4.3 million,  None of us know the cap budget for sure, but based on the best available info thanks to the work of folks like Clumping Platelets we would have about $1.1 million to spend on salary for a back-up to JP.

The current FA QB list is:

Player Status 2004 Team 2005 Team

Shane Matthews UFA Bills 

Jim Miller UFA Patriots 

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins 

Josh Harris ERFA Ravens 

Kordell Stewart UFA Ravens 

Kelly Holcomb UFA Browns 

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers 

Tony Banks UFA Texans 

Matt Mauck ERFA Broncos 

Bradlee Van Pelt ERFA Broncos 

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs 

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs 

David Rivers ERFA Raiders 

Drew Brees UFA Chargers 

Mike McMahon UFA Lions 

Rick Mirer UFA Lions 

Craig Nall RFA Packers 

Doug Pederson UFA Packers 

Gus Frerotte UFA Vikings 

Shaun Hill ERFA Vikings 

Josh McCown RFA Cardinals 

Matt Hasselbeck UFA Seahawks 

Brock Huard UFA Seahawks 

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons 

Rod Rutherford ERFA Panthers 

Vinny Testaverde UFA Cowboys 

Jesse Palmer UFA Giants 

Jeff Blake UFA Eagles 

Tim Hasselbeck ERFA Redskin

You can add likely cuts like McNair to this list (though even he will not likely be cur until after June 1st) if you want but I see no one on this list who it makessense for us to have as our #2 who we can get for a hair over a million.

Even if you wait until after June 1st the extra wiggle room you get by distributing his cap hit over two years is more workable doesn't do much for us financially and certainly isn't worth the loss of the spring minicamps and planning for use of this new player.

The bottomline is to me that Bledsoe remains a Bill in 2005.

This brings us to the next question. I think TDs statement that all players including Bledsoe will have to earn their job is exactly where I think we should be.

Some folks seem to be so future is later oriented that they are happy to give JP the starting job so he can develop and practice regardless of its immediate impact on our record.  Not me (and fortunately I think no also TD's view).  JP will need to show the braintrust of MM/Clements/Wyche that he merits the start with his work in practice and on the field in pre-season.  I do not think he should be given the starters job based on his write-up in some draft book or his draft position.

Bledsoe does not give the Bills a good chance of winning the 2005 SB, but unless JP can beat him out in the eyes of the brainttrust I say have a seat bud.

The question here for Bills fans is not what you think of Bledsoe but whether you trust the leadership or not to win the games.

198544[/snapback]

The arguements you make are all valid for sure. But off the mark IMO. What TD, MM, and company have to look at is:

1) What do we need from the QB position to get to the playoffs and 1a) what do we need from the QB spot to win the SB? The answer to that is not apparent but the more apparent answer is who WONT get you there and thats Drew. The evidence is insurmountable at this point as far as him not winning big games. JP offers at least a hope for something other than a very predictable "bad" game from Drew. No one here knows what JP will do in these big games, and you wont figure that out from practices or anything else other than playing in those games.

2) Again, if the competition is open, the winner ONLY has to be better than the opponent. In this case, JP isnt going up against a star player, he is going up against a mediocre player at best. Drews stats are pretty damn bad this year. If JP shows any spark at all he wins the job IMO! I need to go into more depth on the definition of "spark" though. That to me means, showing he can buy you something extra with his legs, Make well timed throws to open WR's, hit WR's in stride and make good reads on who is open, and THE MAJORITY of the time NOT make big mistakes. I qualify the mistake issue because again, Drew has been pretty bad on mistakes that have been costly. JP only needs to show that he is the same and he automatically wins because he has a chance to get better and Drew most likely does not.

Fake Fat, your right that it IS a matter of how ready JP is to start. But, I feel way too many people are saying that he needs to be pretty damn good/great out of the gate to win the job. I dont believe that is true. I think all JP has to do is be average and he wins because of potential to get better rather than decline (Drew). I dont see that as being that hard to do. Furthermore, as you stated, JP can play average and we can still win tough games with a stud D, great special teams, and great supporting cast around JP.

JP represents opportunity for better play in big games considering Drew is basically a known quantity in those games.

My prediction is that if JP proves sturdy and servicable, he wins over Drew!