My theory on why no FA action by OBD

D521646

Why build the rest of the team if you have no QB?

Use draft picks on QB and linemen to protect him.

If he pans out, THEN build the rest of the team around him.

Because otherwise you are just sinking your draft position and making it more difficult to find a QB.

Sure, that's what a competent franchise would do. Were talking the Bills here. Buddy had 3 drafts to grab a QB

and did nothing. Now he's pressing to find a rookie that is worth even taking. Remember when everyone bought into his

genius of building the lines, etc. THEN grab that QB? That plan was an epic fail.Most FA's consider Buffalo a last resort, especially if their young and have some good years left. Otherwise you over pay for 2 DE's. And get financially restrained by bloated contracts.

New ownership will be needed, to get the Littmans Overdorf, Brandon, all of Ralph's cronies in the unemployment line.

Until then more incompetence.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. It just blows my mind. I have no Idea any franchise could be so incompetent. Leave it to the Buffalo Bills to lead the way in this department.

Agreed. This team never spend any money. Mario just loves deer so he signed for pennies. Stevie Johnson likes the Peace Bridge more than Golden Gate. Mark Anderson thinks WNY smells better than NE. Ryan Fitzpatrick was overpaid, yet the Bills are cheap. It all makes sense.

Sports fans have the worse case of ADHD. They need something flashy to happen. Some of the best teams in the NFL are the least active in FAcy. The Redskins were owned by a guy who threw money at every Free Agent. He was a terrible owner until they finally found a franchise QB. Mike Wallace wasn't even the best receiver on his team and now he is a top 5 paid one? How does that make sense. If the Bills ever get a franchise QB, no one will be crying about March and not overspending on Ellerbe or Clabo.

Sports fans have the worse case of ADHD. They need something flashy to happen. Some of the best teams in the NFL are the least active in FAcy. The Redskins were owned by a guy who threw money at every Free Agent. He was a terrible owner until they finally found a franchise QB. Mike Wallace wasn't even the best receiver on his team and now he is a top 5 paid one? How does that make sense. If the Bills ever get a franchise QB, no one will be crying about March and not overspending on Ellerbe or Clabo.

Even for you this generalizes a lot. Bills fans don't have collective ADD. They just want a winner after waiting so long and it ain't happening in 2013.

As for the Redskins, Snyder started getting better when he hired a real NFL HC who brought with him a real NFL GM and got rid of Vinnie Cerrato. And they haven't spent tremendously in UFA, building through the draft and reaching the playoffs. I'd also point out they (along with Seattle) both began their massive rebuilds the same year Nix did in Buffalo.

And what of a franchise QB? Do you blame Nix for that situation and the Bills perpetual rebuilding continuing this year?

Even for you this generalizes a lot. Bills fans don't have collective ADD. They just want a winner after waiting so long and it ain't happening in 2013.

As for the Redskins, Snyder started getting better when he hired a real NFL HC who brought with him a real NFL GM and got rid of Vinnie Cerrato. And they haven't spent tremendously in UFA, building through the draft and reaching the playoffs. I'd also point out they (along with Seattle) both began their massive rebuilds the same year Nix did in Buffalo.

And what of a franchise QB? Do you blame Nix for that situation and the Bills perpetual rebuilding continuing this year?

Who doesn't want a winner? But to list FAcy as the reason they won't winner is stupid and short sided. Did Mario make us a playoff team? FA is a rip off. It's like being a Iphone right when it comes out. You're much better wanting a month and getting one without the glitches & for much cheaper.

The Bills major failing has been identifying a franchise QB. They have truly been awful. Again, Polian built a 2-14 after the loss of one player. The Bills went 7-9 with Losman and Edwards. If you have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, you don't overanalyze every draft pick from 5 years ago or pay average football players a ton of money. If the Fins win, it will be mainly because of Tannehill.

Personally, I'd have 0 problem with the Bills drafting a QB every year in the 1st round until they find a good one. They have been jokes about getting a QB and until you get one, you're a joke.

The Bills are simply being outbid on players. I have seen several players where the Bills were mentioned to have made an offer. The problems remain that no one really wants to play for the bills, and we are trying to be efficient with our money while heading towards a youth movement.

Everyone needs to calm down til training camp and see what we drafted, who we picked up in FA, and what contacts were given. Remember, we rolled over unused cap space last year onto this year. We didn't need to do that, especially if we had no intention of using it. They have a plan, just let them work on it. Lets just hope we don't have Nix draft a RB with our first pick.

I get more and more baffled by the day that there are still Nix/Bills apologists in existence. It's like religious fanaticism. A franchise that has missed the playoffs for 13 straight years and has shown zero discernible signs of progress doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt from anyone.

It's inarguable that this team has many needs, a decent amount of cap room, and only six draft picks. Despite that, the Bills have signed just one guy - a mediocre-at-best linebacker who was a backup in Cincy - to address any of their issues, and they haven't even been rumored to be interested in anyone else. So, any fans who are upset about a lack of movement have a right to be - it has nothing to do with an "ADD generation" or any other reasons concocted by lemmings who are trying to sound intelligent. I mean, today a viable starting strong safety in Pollard signed a one-year deal. The Bills' current starting SS is terrible. Shouldn't they have been in on that?

Important question: Why did the Bills roll over $7mil of Fitz's cap hit to next year? Theoretically it would be to spend the money this year, right? But aside from a possible front-loaded extension for Byrd, there don't appear to be many spending opportunities for the Bills this offseason.

I get more and more baffled by the day that there are still Nix/Bills apologists in existence. It's like religious fanaticism. A franchise that has missed the playoffs for 13 straight years and has shown zero discernible signs of progress doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt from anyone.

It's inarguable that this team has many needs, a decent amount of cap room, and only six draft picks. Despite that, the Bills have signed just one guy - a mediocre-at-best linebacker who was a backup in Cincy - to address any of their issues, and they haven't even been rumored to be interested in anyone else. So, any fans who are upset about a lack of movement have a right to be - it has nothing to do with an "ADD generation" or any other reasons concocted by lemmings who are trying to sound intelligent. I mean, today a viable starting strong safety in Pollard signed a one-year deal. The Bills' current starting SS is terrible. Shouldn't they have been in on that?

The bills front office cant draft well.

Get a bunch of flashy players please.

I'm actually sick of the awful players selected in the draft. Just to name one cuz I'm getting pissed off. Aaron the stupid Maybin. That year we needed a pass rusher so bad. We got the worse one. FFFFF F is short for a bad word. Damn!!!

Important question: Why did the Bills roll over $7mil of Fitz's cap hit to next year? Theoretically it would be to spend the money this year, right? But aside from a possible front-loaded extension for Byrd, there don't appear to be many spending opportunities for the Bills this offseason.

Mike Wallace would have been a great addition. He's a true #1/#2 receiver. Stevie is a true #1/#2 receiver.

That instantly makes our offense better. Freaking instantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if T. Jacks starts. Comes out of the gate 3-0 (crazy I know). Expect Nix to "lock" him at say 60/6.

He's only here on a 1 year contract.

c

There are still a lot of players left. My feeling is that we would like a few veterans as a stop-gap for the rookies/younger players, like veterans always do they want too much money at this point for how old/injury-prone they are, and that we are waiting for the price to drop. the bigger names will likely end up with teams like denver, nyg, etc. who are close to a super bowl, but there are so many that we will get solid veteran help at a good price, and retain money for byrd, wood, spiller, etc.

Because the Bills have no idea what they are doing.

Its a complete coin toss whether or not this team should rebuild. They have no QB and an entirely new coaching staff. In most places this equals rebuilding. But they also have 100 million dollars invested in a DE, two young and very talented offensive weapons in CJ Spiller and Stevie Johnson. And a defense that is well positioned to become one of the better defenses in the league (IF they can build a reasonably good linebacking corp..which shouldn't be too difficult. Though they haven't signed anyone in FA).

My hunch is that they are under orders not to add much payroll. I think the team will be on the market soon.

They do NOT have $100M invested in a DE. $50M guaranteed. Just like Fitz contract was not $60M

Why build the rest of the team if you have no QB?

Use draft picks on QB and linemen to protect him.

If he pans out, THEN build the rest of the team around him.

Because otherwise you are just sinking your draft position and making it more difficult to find a QB.

This part of the issue.

If you are a FA like say a Dustin Keller, and you look at the Bills who cut their 1st string QB, and you know they are starting a rookie most likely in 2013 and they lose Andy Levitre, are you going to want to sign with Buffalo?

When Mario signed last year, there was a perception that the Bills were a good team at 5-2, hit with bad injuries, and were a team that could win 10 games and make some noise BEFORE last season. I believe that perception helped us land Mario Williams last year.

Now the Bills have no QB, a 1st year unknown coach. Where is the benefit for vets to come here?

Build through the draft. Nail the picks. That is and always will be, the answer.

This part of the issue.

If you are a FA like say a Dustin Keller, and you look at the Bills who cut their 1st string QB, and you know they are starting a rookie most likely in 2013 and they lose Andy Levitre, are you going to want to sign with Buffalo?

When Mario signed last year, there was a perception that the Bills were a good team at 5-2, hit with bad injuries, and were a team that could win 10 games and make some noise BEFORE last season. I believe that perception helped us land Mario Williams last year.

Now the Bills have no QB, a 1st year unknown coach. Where is the benefit for vets to come here?

Build through the draft. Nail the picks. That is and always will be, the answer.

+1. that is it. That is all Bills fans have. The draft. Because they have no choice but to sign with this franchise. If this were an all free agent league, they'd be in real trouble. .

Edited by 8and8Forever

Well, we know they'll go into camp with just as many players as every other team, so its a matter of where they are planning on picking up the rest of their players. As I see it, they really only NEED to bring in a MLB and a Safety as starters - unless Searcy is starting, before they can field a starting defense. As for offense, they need to add at least one good WR, probably a starting caliber TE, at least one starting caliber G, and a starting QB.

For those starter spots there are only two places to go - FA or the draft / udfa. I considered this: say there are five teams looking to upgrade the CB position, and there are 4 nice CB options on the FA market, but there are also, say, 4 nice CB options in the draft. It might be that the more teams with needs fill those needs in FA, the better chance the corresponding rookies in the draft might fall. Who knows if there's any consistent truth to that, but I'm hoping that some players fall to Buffalo (like Syracuse's Safety).

Surely Buffalo will be picking up a few more FA's - I'd guess Bart Scott, a WR, maybe a CB. But, I'd also guess Buffalo is okay with going the rookie route and bringing in a bunch of rookies and maybe finding some gems - after all, Marrone is coming from college, so he might have great insight into some lesser known talents...

The bills front office cant draft well.

There are many here that don't really have a true perspective on the probability of success in the draft. Even first round picks are not sure things - true for even the best franchises. While still high picks, in the 2nd and 3rd rounds you are *hoping* to find good starters and reasonably happy to find good contributors even if they don't start. You also have to realize that not all drafts are equal. In some years there are more good players than other years.

The Patriots are one of the best run franchises and have had sustained excellent performance. Here is their draft from 2009 (a draft where they had FOUR 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks):

Rnd 2: Patrick Chung (S) - pretty solid player who has started 30 of the 50 games he has played in.

Rnd 2: Ron Brace (DT) - fringe player who has started 0 games the last two years with a combined 8 tackles those 2 years.

Rnd 2: Darius Butler (DB): Has started 18 games in 4 seasons. Has not played for the Pats since 2010

Rnd 2: Sebastian Vollmer (OT): decent to good starting OT. Has started most of the games he has played.

Rnd 3: Brandon Tate (WR): 37 catches total in 4 seasons. Has not played for the Pats since 2010

Rnd 3: Tyronne McKenzie (LB): 17 career tackles.

I don't hear anyone calling the Patriots a horrible drafting team. This is reality in the NFL draft, sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss - even the best.