Observation about many of the top QB's

I noticed many of the top quarterbacks have at least one receiver that is highly rated and will be a pro drafted early in the draft. This worries me because we need both a WR and a QB and i think it makes it even harder to evaluate.

Geno Smith has Tavon Austin, one of the most explosive players in the draft and another very well well respected receiver opposite him, Stedman Bailey.

Matt Barkley possibly has the best tandem in all of college football with Robert Woods and Marqise lee.

Tyler Wilson has Cobi Hamilton who Is not being hyped about as much but still very talented. (Anquan boldin like player, Im a big fan.)

Tyler bray has three of the best receivers going pro. Cordell Patterson, Justin hunter and formerly da'rick rodgers.

Does this worry any one else that it could be even harder to tell who is elevating who's play? I do not remember it being like this in past drafts. It seems if a QB in one of the past drafts had been teamed up with receivers like these they would have torn it up even more.

Does this make a guy like EJ manuel even more attractive because he does not have one of these "Big name" guys on his team?

I noticed many of the top quarterbacks have at least one receiver that is highly rated and will be a pro drafted early in the draft. This worries me because we need both a WR and a QB and i think it makes it even harder to evaluate.

Geno Smith has Tavon Austin, one of the most explosive players in the draft and another very well well respected receiver opposite him, Stedman Bailey.

Matt Barkley possibly has the best tandem in all of college football with Robert Woods and Marqise lee.

Tyler Wilson has Cobi Hamilton who Is not being hyped about as much but still very talented. (Anquan boldin like player, Im a big fan.)

Tyler bray has three of the best receivers going pro. Cordell Patterson, Justin hunter and formerly da'rick rodgers.

Does this worry any one else that it could be even harder to tell who is elevating who's play? I do not remember it being like this in past drafts. It seems if a QB in one of the past drafts had been teamed up with receivers like these they would have torn it up even more.

Does this make a guy like EJ manuel even more attractive because he does not have one of these "Big name" guys on his team?

The point about Manuel was brought up today on the NFL Network's Path To The Draft. One "expert" made the point that Manuel put up better numbers than Ponder, in the same Offense, with less talent around him than Ponder had...I don't remember who Ponder had at receiver...But I know Manuel certainly had less WR talent than Geno, Barkley, and Bray...That's for sure... B-)

Anyone considered a top quarterback obviously has at least on receiver who can consistently catch the ball. It's a given that a QB wouldn't have any reputation if everyone had stone hands. So you have to go by quarterback basics, i.e. arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence, intelligence, ability to adjust, mobility, performance in big games, etc. Using these to truly gauge pro potential, you make your pick - and more often than not still get it wrong.

Anyone considered a top quarterback obviously has at least on receiver who can consistently catch the ball. It's a given that a QB wouldn't have any reputation if everyone had stone hands. So you have to go by quarterback basics, i.e. arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence, intelligence, ability to adjust, mobility, performance in big games, etc. Using these to truly gauge pro potential, you make your pick - and more often than not still get it wrong.

These guys all have multiple pro Wide outs though. Who did cam newton, sam bradford, matt ryan, joe flacco have or many of the other great QBs have? Im just pointing out it seems the schools that have the QB this year also have the wide out and a WR can make a QB look a whole lot better by setting up the pass and timing it up. Often a WR will stride out just so a QB can hit him "instride"

These guys all have multiple pro Wide outs though. Who did cam newton, sam bradford, matt ryan, joe flacco have or many of the other great QBs have? Im just pointing out it seems the schools that have the QB this year also have the wide out and a WR can make a QB look a whole lot better by setting up the pass and timing it up. Often a WR will stride out just so a QB can hit him "instride"

My guess is that if one of these QBs turns out to be the real deal at the pro level, his receivers will look a lot worse in hindsight. I.e., maybe Tavon Austin becomes another Roscoe Parrish and Steadman Bailey washes out of the league in 2 years and goes back to hanging with Oprah.

Having said that, one of the reasons I don't like Bray is because I really believe in the WR talent he had, and I think his numbers should've been WAY better with those targets to throw to. At least Geno & Barkley put up sick numbers throwing to good WRs.

Thank you. End the thread here...

Pretty interesting topic.. I think everyone would agree that having good WRs can only help a QB, but at the same time he still needs to get them the ball.

EJ Manuel is definitely intriguing though and I'm not sure if I really want him on the bills or if I'm just getting sucked in by his combine #'s.

Most of the qualities that QBs are judged on (arm strength, accuracy, athletic ability, pocket presence, field vision, decision making) take place before the receiver actually catches the ball.

Having a spectacular receiver may slant statistics - but it's a lot harder to fool game film.

What interests me is the Bills will have met with EJ at least 4 different times. Combine, his pro day and I think we are having him in twice maybe? Once definitely so 3-4 times. That is a lot of due diligence for a guy you 'might' take

Using that logic it has to be Geno since they have gone and seen his pro day had a personal workout, went out to dinner and then met him a 4th time just recently

EJ is my 1st pick, Geno 2nd at 8 ( but they both need a great OL)

Not sure why you would say this.

EJ has excellent pocket presence and footwork. He climbs the pocket, dips his shoulder, has good awareness and great escapability. He's also tall enough and strong enough to deliver the ball when he's squeezed in the pocket.

I think EJ is probably less dependent on a clean pocket than any QB in this draft.

JMO.

BTW, ,my observation about the top QBs in this draft is that many of them played behind poor offensive lines.

What interests me is the Bills will have met with EJ at least 4 different times. Combine, his pro day and I think we are having him in twice maybe? Once definitely so 3-4 times. That is a lot of due diligence for a guy you 'might' take

thats really about standard issue for them and qbs right now. not noteworthy.

Using that logic it has to be Geno since they have gone and seen his pro day had a personal workout, went out to dinner and then met him a 4th time just recently

and likely had some time or interest at the combine too.

as well as any personal contact scouts had over the course of the season.

As WEO noted your response is concise and substative. Your on the mark response contains keen observations that are loaded with meaningful information. Excellent post. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC