Pew Research Finds That MSNBC Really Stinks

From Forbes:

If you’re like most cable news viewers, you probably think the channel you favor has a monopoly on the facts and the other ones are nothing more than a bunch of ranting. In fact, which cable network is the most opinionated is not a matter of opinion. It’s MSNBC.

A full 85% of the Comcast-owned network’s coverage can be classified as opinion or commentary rather than straight news, according to the authors of the Pew Research Center’s annual State of the News Media report.

CNN and Fox News Channel, meanwhile, fall much closer to a 50/50 distribution, with Fox News skewing somewhat more heavily toward opinion.

Edited by 3rdnlng

So much for the oft repeated MSNBC balances out on the Left, as Fox does on the right

On MSNBC, Opinion Dominates Reporting

The Pew Research Center’s report on The State of the News Media 2013 is out. The first chart in the report’s section about television is the following:

1-On-MSNBC-Opinion-Dominates-Reporting.png

85%..........lol...........................MSNBC is simply an arm of the democrat party.

Uh...how is MSNBC even 85% opinion? Pretty much every show, at least to my knowledge, is opinion/talk. That's all it is, and they don't hide it. And also, O'Reilly constantly hides behind this whole "we have news during the day" defense when people talk about the quality of their personalities. It means nothing though. To pretend that what they classify as "hard news" (which is questionable anyway if you ever care to watch a bit) airing in the middle of the day is somehow a defense against those who point at prime time talk (Hannity in particular) and say "wtf is that?"...makes no sense. Hell, I actually feel worse about people getting hard news from Fox than I do a whacko eating up Hannity's BS.

In their never-ending crusade to dishonestly marginalize Fox News, members of the mainstream media love to casually compare Fox News to MSNBC. The idea is to falsely brand Fox News as MSNBC's ideological cable news counterpart; as though both are equally partisan, extreme, and opinionated.

Anyone who watches both networks and is willing to be intellectually honest knows, however, that this isn't even close to the truth. Fox News does a fantastic job separating its straight news (daytime, Bret Baier, Shepard Smith, etc.) from its openly conservative programming. Moreover, Fox News also does a ton of original reporting.

MSNBC, on the other hand, is almost all opinion. There is almost no original reporting. If Fox News only aired "Hannity" between 5am and 11pm, then you could compare it to MSNBC.

The Pew Research Center backs this up with a new study that looks at MSNBC, Fox, and CNN, and documents the time each network spends on commentary/opinion as compared to factual reporting.

What Pew found is that the outlier is MSNBC: 85% opinion, 15% reporting. Fox News, however, is much closer to CNN. Whereas CNN spends 54% of the time reporting and 46% on commentary, Fox News spends 55% on commentary and 45% reporting.

By tomorrow, though, these findings will be forgotten and the media will go right back to lying with comparisons of Fox and MSNBC.

{snip}

Another fascinating find is the erosion of CNN between 2007 and 2012:

The percentage of CNN evening programming filled with interviews jumped from 30% in 2007 to 57% in 2012. At the same time, the airtime for edited packages plunged from 50% to 24%

http://www.breitbart...s-Critics-Wrong

Edited by B-Man

i would agree with that assessment

but its just a snapshot at this moment. if youve watched all the cable networks over time, there has been an obvious and dramatic shift as the stations have adapted in this relatively new world of news-o-tainment

if this analysis was performed five to ten-ish years ago, fox would surely be at least as high on the partisan scale as msnbc is now. they pioneered the genre, after all, and took it to its logical extreme as viewers not normally interested in politics ate up the simplistic hyper-spin fox was serving up. and we all know the old internet maxim that if you want to be popular be a jerk

msnbc scrambled to try to catch up, and did a relatively poor job of for a long time. they didnt seem to really want to embrace the 'be a jerk' approach until recently - when their ratings started to turn around big time

olberman started out well due to a relatively good combination of quality content and high decibel theatrics, but racheted up the shouting until he really went over the line and ended up glenn beck-ing himself, even before that was a thing. chris matthews has moved even further left than he used to be, but hes too cerebral to really appeal to the less intelligent red meat crowd that drives ratings. Maddow is pretty good, though i do catch her lying too often for my tastes, but shes probably still a little too high-brow to hold the cranially challenged masses attention. its really taken the off the hook partisans like Schultz and ODonnell to drive viewership. and they are awful, btw, just like their contemporaries O'Reilly and Hannity, but that crap sure does sell like hotcakes

meanwhile cnn hasnt really committed to that kind of hyper partisan journalism. id say they lean left but they obviously have tried to remain the most balanced and professional of the three. thats where i watch almost all of my cable news now bc i can only stand so much of the serial lying that goes on with the popular blowhard shows ive mentioned

the net result is that right now fox has taken a couple of steps back, mainly because they have to. their most popular shows (oreilly and hannity) have experienced huge ratings dips. their golden bimbo has completely lost her prime time appeal and despite being canned cant even see russia from her house anymore. they still lead in overall ratings but msnbc has made huge strides, much to my chagrin. cnn will always trail those two as long as it tries to maintain some semblance of journalistic integrity, much to the average persons dismay

can msnbc ever out-lie fox? idk and i wouldnt bet on it. as long as republicans keep playing 'how absurd can we continue to be', fox is going to have a tough time competing with that reality. after all, how can you be the shrill voice in the living room when your elected representatives are already playing that role?

Edited by Meathead

i would agree with that assessment

but its just a snapshot at this moment. if youve watched all the cable networks over time, there has been an obvious and dramatic shift as the stations have adapted in this relatively new world of news-o-tainment

if this analysis was performed five to ten-ish years ago, fox would surely be at least as high on the partisan scale as msnbc is now. they pioneered the genre, after all, and took it to its logical extreme as viewers not normally interested in politics ate up the simplistic hyper-spin fox was serving up. and we all know the old internet maxim that if you want to be popular be a jerk

msnbc scrambled to try to catch up, and did a relatively poor job of for a long time. they didnt seem to really want to embrace the 'be a jerk' approach until recently - when their ratings started to turn around big time

olberman started out well due to a relatively good combination of quality content and high decibel theatrics, but racheted up the shouting until he really went over the line and ended up glenn beck-ing himself, even before that was a thing. chris matthews has moved even further left than he used to be, but hes too cerebral to really appeal to the less intelligent red meat crowd that drives ratings. Maddow is pretty good, though i do catch her lying too often for my tastes, but shes probably still a little too high-brow to hold the cranially challenged masses attention. its really taken the off the hook partisans like Schultz and ODonnell to drive viewership. and they are awful, btw, just like their contemporaries O'Reilly and Hannity, but that crap sure does sell like hotcakes

meanwhile cnn hasnt really committed to that kind of hyper partisan journalism. id say they lean left but they obviously have tried to remain the most balanced and professional of the three. thats where i watch almost all of my cable news now bc i can only stand so much of the serial lying that goes on with the popular blowhard shows ive mentioned

the net result is that right now fox has taken a couple of steps back, mainly because they have to. their most popular shows (oreilly and hannity) have experienced huge ratings dips. their golden bimbo has completely lost her prime time appeal and despite being canned cant even see russia from her house anymore. they still lead in overall ratings but msnbc has made huge strides, much to my chagrin. cnn will always trail those two as long as it tries to maintain some semblance of journalistic integrity, much to the average persons dismay

can msnbc ever out-lie fox? idk and i wouldnt bet on it. as long as republicans keep playing 'how absurd can we continue to be', fox is going to have a tough time competing with that reality. after all, how can you be the shrill voice in the living room when your elected representatives are already playing that role?

You should stay in character, as you might get some of the middle of the roaders to swallow your schtick rather than just undress yourself to the point that your liberal junk is exposed.

MSNBC is horrific. The Al Sharpton show on there is awful, he sounds like he had a stroke and sturggles with words an thoughts... The Chris Matthres Hard Ball is nothing but partisan hackery.

I actually ask the gusy at the gym to switch to Fox so I can watch The Five. Its partisan, but not in the way MSNBC is... although one of the guys on The Five said the dumbest thing a few weeks ago, when Chavez died, he said "thats poor reflection on Cuba and theie National Helath Model"... how dumb was that, at the time they had no idea how he died and from what... partisan hackery at its best! Lets be honest, I watch it mostly because of the hot chicks...

the five is the best show on fox, maybe the best show on all cable news

morning joe is great but i wish theyd have more regular conservative guests. joe does a pretty good job being the consistent conservative voice but they need another. everybody else on that show are liberals, at least that i can think of right now