Matt Hasslebeck released by Titans

PJBrown7

The question isn't whether Hassle is better than Fitz or good enough to tutor incoming rookies. The question is: is he better than Tavaris Jackson?

Answer: YES

So he's better than Jackson. Who cares? Both Hasselbeck and Jackson are different shades of awful. Why bother with this tripe? Draft a kid, which everyone knows they're going to do, and put him in. Enough bull ****.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware Fitz is visiting Tennesee per Chris Brown. So not sure what he has left if they want him to replace Matt.

That is interesting, but I think Hasselbeck was released because he was making too much to be the backup. Titans couldn't get him to take a pay cut, so they released him. Much as the Bills did with Fitz.

I'd be perfectly fine with this move. Go into the season with TJax, Hasslehoff, and any rookie primed to start over both of them but young and wet enough to learn a bunch from Hasslehoff and battle TJax for the starting role.

The problem is, doesn't Hasslehoff have some kind of grudge with the Bills? Or was that just his brother. Either way, same family, he might turn down any offer no matter what.

So he's better than Jackson. Who cares? Both Hasselbeck and Jackson are different shades of awful. Why bother with this tripe? Draft a kid, which everyone knows they're going to do, and put him in. Enough bull ****.

That may be true...but I think you are underestimating Hassleback. I get that he is old, and that could very well hurt his performance, but, for the right price, it seems like he has something left in the tank. "Draft a kid and let him play" has possibly destroyed a few potential NFL careers. Depending on who you believe, there are no sure-fire franchise QB's in this draft...rushing them in when they are not ready is not always the wisest thing.

Edited by Buftex

Are that many people really good with Tarvaris Jackson "mentoring" a rookie QB?

Hit the nail square on the head. Thank you. I watched TJ in Seattle after having the relative pleasure of watching Hasselbeck for many years prior. There is not a doubt in my mind who the superior guy to mentor a young QB is. TJ is a good guy, decent QB. Hasselbeck has been a winner and is an excellent guy in the locker room. He has made very good decisions time after time in the clutch, despite his arm being less than spectacular. If he had been gifted with a better arm, he would have been a SB champ. IMHO.

I'd take him as a servicable backup, and a teacher to a rookie. Better than TJ who is better than Fitz. I gurantee you he can make a pass beyond 20 yards which is what Fitz was absolutely incapable of doing, and knows when to check down, vs. Fitz who would force it and throw a pick. Guys, I watched their games last year due to the ticket and three tv's in my game room, and he was not bad at all. He played on a bad team. I thought he did better than Locker which will get better in time.

This would be an excellent move for the right price, and let TJ go if we could save space. I don't hate TJ, but MH is better. He knwos he won't be the answer so even if he wins out in the beginning, he's not creating a controversy later. It's all in his aasking price and he passes the physical. What a nice teacher for the rokie in a superbowl contending QB who in 2011 showed a rookie how to win when he took over for Locker.

No one is talking about him as the "franchise" guy.....but a smart veteran wouldn't be a horrible stop gap for a year or two while a rookie learns. Hasselback iswas better than Fitz...and hasd been to a Superbowl and more than one pro bowl.

Fixed.

As a conniseur of under-rated QB, I have a warm fuzzy spot on my heart for Matt Hasselbeck. Oh, wait, is that just bread mold? At age 37, Hassebeck has a right to some mold of his own. His pro bowl/superbowl days are >6 years in the past, and that's an NFL generation ago. If people want to dis on David Garrard as too old at 35, what is Hasselbeck? He was never a rifle, relying on savvy more than strength. At this point, I think people down on Fitz for accuracy and the long throw won't find Hasselbeck much of an upgrade. His Int% has been creeping up as his TD% sags.

Plusses: He is a smart, wily veteran. He was a very good QB once.

Minuses: Once was then, this is Now. Salary: reportedly, Tenn released him because the $5-6 million he was due was too rich for them and he wouldn't budge downward. Unclear if he wants another backup gig or would be willing to play for the kind of $$ the Bills would likely be willing to spend.

Point to consider: if the Titans are serious about pursuing Fitz, you have one organization's talent evaluation Fitz > Hasselbeck, not always, not once, but now.