The Avett Brothers - Why you should hear them if you haven't

michaael k is awesome...saw him late last year, he has a great sound, i'll be looking forward to your reaction from all these shows, good or bad.

And that Dawes show I mentioned is this week for me. Looking forward to shovels and rope opening... Then pretending I hated it to get money from pooj.

Then, despite my knocking them, Mumford the week after. Free tickets and Michael kiwanuka opening so ill go and enjoy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

michaael k is awesome...saw him late last year, he has a great sound, i'll be looking forward to your reaction from all these shows, good or bad.

I saw MK opening for the shakes a few months back. was familiar with him before, and he confirmed his talent live. looking forward to him again.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna see them in September in Philly... Can't wait.. Aren't the touring with rabbit or turtles? Should be a great show either way.

Just got tickets to see The Avett Brothers in Canandaigua on 07/26. Anyone else going to be there?

Opening band is Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Never heard of them, but as you said, should be a great show either way.

You will likely enjoy. They had a terrible pop hit but a lot of good stuff in their catalog

I was mistaken...we get Trombone Shorty with the Avett's.....pretty awesome double bill

I've been cheerleading for shorty for quite some time. I feel like I never have a feel for his national recognition.... He's great though. A true star of a performer and talented musician as well.

was recently talking to a guy that books bands for his restaurant and local events. $50k minimum for the avetts. that really surprised me. top americana brings big bucks.

I remember just 6 or 7 years ago when the Avett's were playing tiny bars all over the Charlotte,NC area. Saw them at a dive bar in Concord along with 30 or 40 other lucky fans.

I remember just 6 or 7 years ago when the Avett's were playing tiny bars all over the Charlotte,NC area. Saw them at a dive bar in Concord along with 30 or 40 other lucky fans.

it's pretty tough to predict who is gonna make it big and who is gonna still be playing the dive bars, in my experience. unfortunately, talent clearly isn't always the deciding factor but these guys have it. amazingly, the band that just won the bluegrass grammy for best album, Steep Canyon Rangers, gets $10k minimum in comparison... mommas don't let your babies grow up to be bluegrass artists.

That's $10K without Steve Martin(& Edie Brickell) I'm sure...

it's pretty tough to predict who is gonna make it big and who is gonna still be playing the dive bars, in my experience. unfortunately, talent clearly isn't always the deciding factor but these guys have it. amazingly, the band that just won the bluegrass grammy for best album, Steep Canyon Rangers, gets $10k minimum in comparison... mommas don't let your babies grow up to be bluegrass artists.

That's $10K without Steve Martin(& Edie Brickell) I'm sure...

yup, i'm pretty certain of that. they're playing some pretty cool places (telluride, charleston sc, a bluegrass cruise, etc) lately though, so i guess it's not so awful bad. i taped there scheduled performance on letterman with edie brickell and steve martin and they were like invisible studio musician playing simple backup stuff...i felt bad for them knowing what kind of stuff they can do but they probably made a nice paycheck.

I saw them here in a small place @800. It was Steve, Edie & The Rangers here's the set...pretty good stuff

http://vimeo.com/67671897

audio only

http://www.xpn.org/events/non-comm/non-comm-2013-audio-archive/item/2840-steve-martin-and-edie-brickell

yup, i'm pretty certain of that. they're playing some pretty cool places (telluride, charleston sc, a bluegrass cruise, etc) lately though, so i guess it's not so awful bad. i taped there scheduled performance on letterman with edie brickell and steve martin and they were like invisible studio musician playing simple backup stuff...i felt bad for them knowing what kind of stuff they can do but they probably made a nice paycheck.

Edited by The Poojer

I saw them here in a small place @800. It was Steve, Edie & The Rangers here's the set...pretty good stuff

http://vimeo.com/67671897

audio only

http://www.xpn.org/e...d-edie-brickell

very good stuff. that first song is the one they did on letterman, i think. i'm sure they are happy for the exposure but these dudes can do so much more. the fiddle player is so fast it's unbelievable and their harmonies are awesome. wish they'd have used those a bit more in this album. but even without that, it's really good and i'd go see that show in a heartbeat.