The Avett Brothers - Why you should hear them if you haven't

oh damn...that sounds painful...btw, love the Alabama Shakes! I am going to see Dawes on Friday at my weekly free at noon show...I cannot wait, I love the whole Dawes/Middle Brother/Delta Spirit/Deer Tick universe....

Good times. I like all that stuff too.

Ill reccomend - Brittany Howard and ruby amanfu just put some vinyl out together through third man records (jack whites label) you should check it out.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't she also just do a vinyl release with Jim James(Yim Yames)?

yup

Good times. I like all that stuff too.

Ill reccomend - Brittany Howard and ruby amanfu just put some vinyl out together through third man records (jack whites label) you should check it out.

Edited by The Poojer

didn't she also just do a vinyl release with Jim James(Yim Yames)?

yup

Yup - I think that was coincidentally the last time I hopped into one of these music threads and reccomended something. Which reminds me, record store day is sneaking up. Lots of treasures like that come out for that one day only event.

Edited by NoSaint

i love talking music with people on this board, so many people here have so much passion for music and it's refreshing. as subjective as musical taste is, it's nice to see so many spanning a wide age range willing to venture out and listen to new music. I have gotten a ton of good recommendations from this board...

Yup - I think that was coincidentally the last time I hopped into one of these music threads and reccomended something. Which reminds me, record store day is sneaking up. Lots of treasures like that come out for that one day only event.

Lots of small batch stuff (some pressings numbering as low as 50-100 records sold nationally) comes out for RSD. Current estimates are 350-400 special releases. The list should be out next week. Always a lot of stuff I vaguely recognize each year, but not very familiar with so it might be nice to chat once the list is released to make sure I'm not missing anything cool

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

some hipsters are just fine. cute girls in short skirts, loose shirts and cowboy boots...well, yeah. what's not to like. skinny, hairy guys in skinny jeans...hell no.

i agree that the avetts are somewhat patchy but overall very good. should be a great show at artpark.

here's another overlooked band in the genre that i really like:

. apparently garnered a lot of talk at SXSW.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the sound city vinyl...my favorite store had live local performances AND free Narragansett tall boy cans

Ended up with a Gary Clark jr live, a black keys/stooges split, and a few other odds and ends. Just a heads up for anyone around an independent record store today. Stop in

• 1 month later...

Since that genre has gotten to be so popular some of it really has gone off the tracks. The avetts have been one of the better ones with regards to trying to keep it "authentic" but sometimes it can definitely fall into god awful territory. When they are good it's very good though. Ill give them a lot more credit then some of the bands that are trying to straddle the dad rock, teen pop, and fake hipster line (::cough::mumford::cough:: ). Another I'd point to as being among the better then the crowd is old crow medicine show, even with the pop hit wagon wheel on the résumé..... But in general it's gotten a bit saturated and commercial in this market with Mumford, avetts, lumineers, Edward sharp, etc... Getting real big real fast.

Interesting read on the origins of Wagon Wheel which may be well known, but was new to me.

Ill have to track down an article I saw last week about how Rucker didnt realize it was a popular song when he decided to cover it.... Allegedly....

I don't know how, but I guess he lives in a different world than i

Edit: here's the link- a bit more of the Dylan end of the story, as well as the Rucker end

http://seattletimes.com/html/musicnightlife/2021049743_dariusruckerxml.html

Edited by NoSaint

And that Dawes show I mentioned is this week for me. Looking forward to shovels and rope opening... Then pretending I hated it to get money from pooj.

Then, despite my knocking them, Mumford the week after. Free tickets and Michael kiwanuka opening so ill go and enjoy.

Another I'd point to as being among the better then the crowd is old crow medicine show, even with the pop hit wagon wheel on the résumé..... But in general it's gotten a bit saturated and commercial in this market with Mumford, avetts, lumineers, Edward sharp, etc... Getting real big real fast.

And hits or getting big is BAD!!!

Sorry, I just don't understand this (very prevalent) way of thinking. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it sucks, it just means you have to wade through more crap to get to some good stuff, but it also means there's also more good stuff out there to find.

Yes, it's very popular now to trash Mumford and Sons and the Lumineers. Does that mean they are about to be good again?

And hits or getting big is BAD!!!

Sorry, I just don't understand this (very prevalent) way of thinking. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it sucks, it just means you have to wade through more crap to get to some good stuff, but it also means there's also more good stuff out there to find.

Yes, it's very popular now to trash Mumford and Sons and the Lumineers. Does that mean they are about to be good again?

My point was with the good stuff getting popular a lot of "meh" stuff is getting put up on a pedestal. Additionally many writers go from trying to write a great song to trying to write a radio hit which can be frustrating, especially in a genre that's a bit counterculture at its foundation.

I like plenty of popular music, and there's an art to creating a great pop song.... But that's the complete opposite of what I enjoy about this genre.