The Avett Brothers - Why you should hear them if you haven't

I know music is completely subjective and one man's harmony is another man's train wreck, but I also know that there are many of you here that feel that most of today's music can't compare with the tunes you grew up with in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

My girlfriend turned me on to the Avetts last year and I quickly became a huge fan. Saw them live last year and have tickets for the Artpark show in May. The were raised on bluegrass and have blended it with rock to form a very unique hybrid. Scott and Seth harmonize the way only two musically-blessed siblings can. They are great lyric writers and the crowds at their shows are an eclectic and intelligent lot.

This is one of my favorites called 10,000 Words. I hope you like it as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkLFwqslp8

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are talented but I hate (no, HATE) the song "I and Love and You." Top 10 worst songs this decade. I can barely forgive them for that God-awful song.

Since that genre has gotten to be so popular some of it really has gone off the tracks. The avetts have been one of the better ones with regards to trying to keep it "authentic" but sometimes it can definitely fall into god awful territory. When they are good it's very good though. Ill give them a lot more credit then some of the bands that are trying to straddle the dad rock, teen pop, and fake hipster line (::cough::mumford::cough:: ). Another I'd point to as being among the better then the crowd is old crow medicine show, even with the pop hit wagon wheel on the résumé..... But in general it's gotten a bit saturated and commercial in this market with Mumford, avetts, lumineers, Edward sharp, etc... Getting real big real fast.

Edited by NoSaint

love edward sharpe and old crow. I am also a huge fan of lumineers and mumford. trampled by turtles is another of that genre of bands.\

and what is a hipster...i hear about places here in philly that are hipster bars...the ones that i have gone in P.O.P.E. American Sardine Company etc are all really great little places, I just don't know why they are called hipster....am i a hipster? can a 49 year old be a hipster?

Since that genre has gotten to be so popular some of it really has gone off the tracks. The avetts have been one of the better ones with regards to trying to keep it "authentic" but sometimes it can definitely fall into god awful territory. When they are good it's very good though. Ill give them a lot more credit then some of the bands that are trying to straddle the dad rock, teen pop, and fake hipster line (::cough::mumford::cough:: ). Another I'd point to as being among the better then the crowd is old crow medicine show, even with the pop hit wagon wheel on the résumé..... But in general it's gotten a bit saturated and commercial in this market with Mumford, avetts, lumineers, Edward sharp, etc... Getting real big real fast.

Edited by The Poojer

love edward sharpe and old crow. I am also a huge fan of lumineers and mumford. trampled by turtles is another of that genre of bands.\

and what is a hipster...i hear about places here in philly that are hipster bars...the ones that i have gone in P.O.P.E. American Sardine Company etc are all really great little places, I just don't know why they are called hipster....am i a hipster? can a 49 year old be a hipster?

A quick google produces this fun definition

hipster

Referring to young people of around 18-30 years of age, who drink cheap beer (most often Pabst Blue Ribbon, on occasion Budwiser), smoke Parliaments, Lucky Strikes or hard to obtain foreign cigarettes (such as Gauloises) and take recreational drugs, coke being the most popular. Use a great deal of sarcasm, claim to be ironic. Are usually less than 5% body fat, drink copious amounts of coffee and eat children's cereal. Listen to Indie Rock, rely heavily on Pitchfork Media to tell them what's cool. Don't dance at concerts. Wear a mixture of thrifted clothing and items bought at American Apparel (commonly Tri-blend v-necks) and Urban Outfitters. Extremely tight jeans worn by both sexes, pairing these with either a band or b-movie t shirt and a plaid shirt/v-neck and a cardigan along with Nike hi-tops/Vans/Keds. Females often wear retro style dresses and racerback tank tops without bras. Eschew public transport and instead choose to ride fixed-break bikes. Often claim to know about literature and film - will have googled a good deal of Vonnegut and French New Wave cinema.

More so I was getting at the retro styles and alternative instrument selection making some of these bands the hot ticket for a lot of people. Smear a little dirt on any number of 90s top 40 rock bands and give them a fiddle and a stand up bass and you've got a pretty similar product really.

Nothing wrong with pop rock- just sometimes they end up further into making things be non-offensive and easily consumed instead of great music. Avetts dance that line sometimes, OCMS I think are generally doing what they like to do but a few of those others strike me as constructed in a record execs office instead of a garage, if that makes sense. Doesn't mean Im changing the radio station if it comes on though. Just prefer a little more grit if its going to be that style.

Edited by NoSaint

hipster

Referring to young people of around 18-30 years of age, who drink cheap beer (most often Pabst Blue Ribbon, on occasion Budwiser), smoke Parliaments, Lucky Strikes or hard to obtain foreign cigarettes (such as Gauloises) and take recreational drugs, coke being the most popular. Use a great deal of sarcasm, claim to be ironic. Are usually less than 5% body fat, drink copious amounts of coffee and eat children's cereal. Listen to Indie Rock, rely heavily on Pitchfork Media to tell them what's cool. Don't dance at concerts. Wear a mixture of thrifted clothing and items bought at American Apparel (commonly Tri-blend v-necks) and Urban Outfitters. Extremely tight jeans worn by both sexes, pairing these with either a band or b-movie t shirt and a plaid shirt/v-neck and a cardigan along with Nike hi-tops/Vans/Keds. Females often wear retro style dresses and racerback tank tops without bras. Eschew public transport and instead choose to ride fixed-break bikes. Often claim to know about literature and film - will have googled a good deal of Vonnegut and French New Wave cinema.

More so I was getting at the retro styles and alternative instrument selection making some of these bands the hot ticket for a lot of people. Smear a little dirt on them and give them a fiddle and a stand up bass and you've got pretty formulaic pop rock still going on for a lot of these.

Nothing wrong with pop rock- just sometimes they end up further into making things be non-offensive and easily consumed instead of great music. Avetts dance that line sometimes, OCMS I think are generally doing what they like to do but a few of those others strike me as constructed in a record execs office instead of a garage, if that makes sense. Doesn't mean Im changing the radio station if it comes on though. Just prefer a little more grit if its going to be that style.

SF is loaded with them. I want to punch them all out.

my answers are in bold and red...i guess i am just a mutt

hipster

Referring to young people of around 18-30 (I'm 49) years of age, who drink cheap beer (most often Pabst Blue Ribbon, on occasion Budwiser) (I drink craft beer), smoke Parliaments, Lucky Strikes or hard to obtain foreign cigarettes (such as Gauloises) and take recreational drugs, coke being the most popular.(Don't smoke or do drugs) Use a great deal of sarcasm, claim to be ironic.(Yeah, maybe) Are usually less than 5% body fat(put a 3 in front of the 5 maybe), drink copious amounts of coffee(2 cups a day) and eat children's cereal.(Yup) Listen to Indie Rock, rely heavily on Pitchfork Media to tell them what's cool.(Guilty, pitchfork, daytrotter among others) Don't dance at concerts.(I wouldn't really call my grooving dancing) Wear a mixture of thrifted clothing and items bought at American Apparel (commonly Tri-blend v-necks) and Urban Outfitters.(I shop for clothes at Wal-Mart/Target) Extremely tight jeans worn by both sexes,(Jeans are tight because I am getting fatter) pairing these with either a band or b-movie t shirt and a plaid shirt/v-neck and a cardigan along with Nike hi-tops/Vans/Keds.(Brewery T-shirts, open oxford over it to try and hide how fat I am)(Whatever cross training sneakers are under $50) Females often wear retro style dresses and racerback tank tops without bras. Eschew public transport and instead choose to ride fixed-break bikes.(Rely on Public Transportation now that I am in a city with a good system) Often claim to know about literature and film - will have googled a good deal of Vonnegut and French New Wave cinema.(Wouldn't know Vonnegut from Zagnut and unless its Monty Python, Hangover or Mel Brooks, I probably haven't seen it)

The Avett Brothers are amazing, saw them several times while I was living in Charlotte. Their most recent albums, while still good, are definitely different from their earlier works. Almost like they have abandoned some of their country roots, and are now trying to appeal more to the masses. It seemed to me that their style began to sway in 2007 when Rick Rubin (co-president of Columbia Records) began producing their albums.

Mignonette (2004) is one of my favorite albums, and one of my favorite tunes on the album is Swept Away (sentimental version). It was Mr. and Mrs. Hammersticks' first dance song at our wedding, and everyone loved the song, even though no one knew who the hell it was. Still makes me misty-eyed to hear that tune :cry:

SF is loaded with them. I want to punch them all out.

It really can be a fine line between folks knowing some cool stuff, and them being too cool. I know the feeling.

This is an interesting scene for music as it straddles high school girls, frat boys, hipsters, and the (I mean no offense to the older gentlemen in this thread, I know most of you are into a wide array of music, some more alternative than I even) dad rock/soccer mom crowds.

I saw the Alabama shakes again recently and the crowd was just all over the place - I'd guess the average age was about 40 and from the conversations it was clear most hadn't been to a show in years, where last time I saw them maybe a year and a half ago it was all 20 year olds that live in the clubs. Talking to those people after it was clear they were really frustrated by the influx. I'm curious to see if it creates something that caves in on itself/how quickly that happens.

It really can be a fine line between folks knowing some cool stuff, and them being too cool. I know the feeling.

This is an interesting scene for music as it straddles high school girls, frat boys, hipsters, and the (I mean no offense to the older gentlemen in this thread, I know most of you are into a wide array of music, some more alternative than I even) dad rock/soccer mom crowds.

I saw the Alabama shakes again recently and the crowd was just all over the place - I'd guess the average age was about 40 and from the conversations it was clear most hadn't been to a show in years, where last time I saw them maybe a year and a half ago it was all 20 year olds that live in the clubs. Talking to those people after it was clear they were really frustrated by the influx. I'm curious to see if it creates something that caves in on itself/how quickly that happens.

This is from the show I was at Saturday. I was just to the right of the person filming this. And yes a very diverse crowd. Everything from this soon to be 52 year old to preppies, druggies, dreds and lots and lots and lots of hot young girls!!

I've never given up going to live shows, for me there isn't much better in terms of forms of entertainment. Sometimes I do feel out of place being among the oldest in attendance, but I try and be inconspicuous and just enjoy the music and the scene.

I've never given up going to live shows, for me there isn't much better in terms of forms of entertainment. Sometimes I do feel out of place being among the oldest in attendance, but I try and be inconspicuous and just enjoy the music and the scene.

There's a difference between being older (who cares - come grab a beer and jam out all you want) and the type that's clearly not been to a show since the 80s. The woman next to me said "I heard they do raves at this place- isnt that where they crowd surf and stuff? I hope that doesn't happen tonight"

This was at the Alabama shakes show.

I think that being so recent is what had me jump on this thread a bit. It was kind of fascinating piecing the crowd together compared to last time I saw them - have had a few conversations about it this weekend.

Edited by NoSaint

There's a difference between being older (who cares - come grab a beer and jam out all you want) and the type that's clearly not been to a show since the 80s. The woman next to me said "I heard they do raves at this place- isnt that where they crowd surf and stuff? I hope that doesn't happen tonight"

I love live shows in smaller venues. I tend to go to them when the wife is out of town and just have a blast. I love Umphrey's because they get the music online in a day or two (already ordered the CD from Saturday's show) so I can refresh my old memory.

oh damn...that sounds painful...btw, love the Alabama Shakes! I am going to see Dawes on Friday at my weekly free at noon show...I cannot wait, I love the whole Dawes/Middle Brother/Delta Spirit/Deer Tick universe....