Blast from the past: Dick Jauron

I also am one of the few who liked Jauron. Getting to 7-9 with JP Losman and Trent Edwards whether you thought he was too conservative or not was an accomplishment in of itself. I never bought in to the theory he drafted Aaron Maybin- Jauron never played the guy and and for good reason!

The problem with that logic being the pitiful assumption that 7-9 is a good thing.

Hence, the problem with Jauron: his entire coaching philosophy was, simply, "be competitive," which guarantees mediocrity. As long as you were within a score of winning near the end of the game, he was okay with it - keep it close, win in the final two minutes.

In one of the NE games when the Bills lost by a score of "a lot to a little" (yeah, that really narrows it down, I know) I remember the Bills under Jauron coming out for their first drive, and eventually punting. The Pats get the ball for their first drive and, of course, score. Rapidly. The Bills then get the ball again...and punt. The Pats then get the ball and, of course, score again. The final was something like 42 to "who gives a ****." That, more than anything, illustrates the problem with Jauron's coaching: he believed you win in the last two minutes. A winning coach, such as Belichick (pus-licking whore bastard cheating !@#$ though he may be), believes you win in the FIRST two minutes.

Everyone, especially players, loved Dick Jauron as a man, and as a guy. Most everyone, if you knew anything about his game, very much liked him or loved him as a player. Most everyone, or at least a majority I would say, like him as a defensive mind if not defensive coordinator. Very few, if any, like him or love him now as a head coach.

There should be an asterisk next to comments from ex-players about coaches, because 99% of the time IMO they are talking about them as people and friends, not as their ability to coach (even if they are good or great coaches, too). When a player loves a coach, or even when that player "will run through a wall" for a coach, it's usually because they respect him as a guy and a man, and it has little to do with his coaching ability or inability.

Even when Buddy Nix and Jim Kelly were wining and dining with Tim Tebow, people mistook a lot of their quotes about Tebow to be about his playing ability, when they were really about about him as a guy.

Particularity his peers around the league, very well respected and liked. There is no question that Jauron was very highly regarded as a hard working coach.

His problem was the schemes he tried to run in Buffalo, and his inability to hire experienced offensive coordinators. My take is he was very much hamstrung by the Bills FO from the top down. From what I remember reading is that Ralph Wilson was on the phone to him a few hours a day during the season. So I'm thinking almost all of his hires and promotions had to come from within the org because of Wilson and his past history of doing just that. Plus, it saves money.

I feel kinda bad for the men who took a job as HC of the Buffalo Bills since the Wade Phillips days. The entire franchise only goal was to make a profit, everything else was secondary

It just continues to amaze me all the built up hate for ex Buffalo Bill players, coaches and yet the creator of the past thirteen years of mediocrity continually goes unnoticed.

I would defer the anomaly with the resident statisticians here. I kind of remember Mularkey next season win total being less than half of nine.

Mularkey went 5-11 the next season. Technically, a split hair better than half of nine.

But wait!

Mularkey's overall record was 14-18 (you can see it coming) for an average of: 7-9 a season. :wallbash:

There's never been a question that Jauron is a person of virtue and character.

I happen to feel the same way about Chan Gailey.

I believe that both of them are fine people.

I hope Doug Marrone is also an exemplary human being.

But more than that, I hope he's a winning football coach.

Particularity his peers around the league, very well respected and liked. There is no question that Jauron was very highly regarded as a hard working coach.

His problem was the schemes he tried to run in Buffalo, and his inability to hire experienced offensive coordinators.

His failure had nothing to do with schemes or a competent OC.

It had everything to do with his coaching philosophy.

DJ coaching beliefs were the epitome of play (coach) not to lose.

So I'm thinking almost all of his hires and promotions had to come from within the org because of Wilson and his past history of doing just that. Plus, it saves money.

Actually, go back and look at DJ's time in Chicago. He did the same thing there. When he lost his first OC, who did he promote? His QB coach.

It was pretty obvious DJ was a big believer in continuity among the coaching staff.

Interesting story but it still doesn't really explain why she went ahead and put a picture of the guy on her desk. To me, that says there is more to the story - either she's a Kathy Bates-from-Misery type who is now obsessed with Dicky J, or their relationship didn't end at dinner.

Please don't clarify as I'd prefer to be left to my own imagination with this one.

His failure had nothing to do with schemes or a competent OC.

It had everything to do with his coaching philosophy.

DJ coaching beliefs were the epitome of play (coach) not to lose.

Actually, go back and look at DJ's time in Chicago. He did the same thing there. When he lost his first OC, who did he promote? His QB coach.

It was pretty obvious DJ was a big believer in continuity among the coaching staff.

I disagree. His defense, the Tampa 2 or cover 2 is based entirely on a bend but don't break philosophy (or don't give up the big play) That scheme, if you don't get exactly the right players for it downright sucks. Its almost as bad as the wide 9 defense for giving up big yards against the run.

Due to the ineptitude of the Bills scouting dept Jauron never managed to find the right players to fit in his defensive scheme in Buffalo. However, speaking of the bears, it was under under Jauron that Brian Urlacher was drafted in 2000 and that defense of his was #1 in points allowed in 2001.

Again, the Bills ran the Mike Martz offensive scheme from Steve Fairchild who was his first OC in Buffalo. Bad scheme from the start, and not enough smarts to hire someone competent to run the offense.

You may be right in regards to promoting from within because of continuity. Tho It seems moronic to replace a boob with another boob for continuity's sake.

I have a higher opinion of DJ as a coach than many others. With Perry Fewell as DC and Bobby April as ST coach, the Bills had a good coaching staff mostly. They just needed an OC. That and some players with talent.

I judge a HC not by his W-L record but what he did with the talent he did have. I can't honestly say DJ's teams played over their heads, but they didn't under-perform either. He just didn't have enough to work with. That roster looked like a 7-9 roster. Chan Gailey certainly couldn't do anything more with those players than DJ did.

I think DJ had a good rapport with his team and was solid with X's and O's. Then again, I agree with all those who criticize his it's-hard-to-win-in-the-NFL attitude and couldn't complain when he was finally fired.

I disagree. His defense, the Tampa 2 or cover 2 is based entirely on a bend but don't break philosophy (or don't give up the big play) That scheme, if you don't get exactly the right players for it downright sucks. Its almost as bad as the wide 9 defense for giving up big yards against the run.

You disagree? You practically agreed with me. The scheme, the Tampa 2, is based on a particular philosophy.

The bend, don't break philosophy is inline with his beliefs that games are decided based on the battle for turnovers and field position.

Only with Bills fan dementia can anyone forget how Jauron elected to punt on 4 and inches when losing in the 4th quarter on more than one occasion.

This.

In his second or third year, during a pre-season game, in the opponents red zone, DJ ran three straight running plays towards the middle of the field. Even in preseaon, when there was nothing to lose, the SOB still played for the FG. That was the most infuriating thing DJ ever did.

Or the game where the Jets blitzed Revis 29(?) consecutive times. DJ stood on the sideline looking clueless on how to deal with that.

When it came to strategy, DJ was a mere child in a man's game.