Blast from the past: Dick Jauron

Nothing else to talk about, so I thought I'd share an anecdote:

I was an unabashed Dick Jauron supporter, right up until the last three or four days of his tenure.

Just got out of my coworkers office who has, and has always had a picture of Dicky J on her desk--I just never noticed it before.

During Jauron's time with the Bears, she worked as a reporter for the local CBS affiliate.

Once the Bears were eliminated from the playoffs in his second season, he invited members of the local media--producers, cameramen, everyone--to his place for dinner.

Shocked, the media went along with it, and--per what EVERYONE has EVER said about the man--it was a delightful evening in Jauron's pleasant, always respectable company.

They left thinking "well, THAT will never happen again." Until the following year, when it did.

There are men, and there are football coaches. Yes, I suppose for the sake of our collective heart-health, it'd be nice to have a calculating, reptilian savant like Bellicheat leading our men, but there are far worse things in the world than being associated with a man like Jauron.

Again, off topic, just felt like sharing since it came up just now at work.

GO BILLS!

Interesting story but it still doesn't really explain why she went ahead and put a picture of the guy on her desk. To me, that says there is more to the story - either she's a Kathy Bates-from-Misery type who is now obsessed with Dicky J, or their relationship didn't end at dinner.

Please don't clarify as I'd prefer to be left to my own imagination with this one.

Interesting story but it still doesn't really explain why she went ahead and put a picture of the guy on her desk. To me, that says there is more to the story - either she's a Kathy Bates-from-Misery type who is now obsessed with Dicky J, or their relationship didn't end at dinner.

Please don't clarify as I'd prefer to be left to my own imagination with this one.

Hahaha, yes, it's a much more entertaining scenario when you imagine the picture as an Olin Mills portrait.

Your post will inspire no small amount of negativity here, I bet. But to preempt it, thanks for sharing this. Probably the only person associated with the NFL that you could imagine doing this.

kj

Everyone, especially players, loved Dick Jauron as a man, and as a guy. Most everyone, if you knew anything about his game, very much liked him or loved him as a player. Most everyone, or at least a majority I would say, like him as a defensive mind if not defensive coordinator. Very few, if any, like him or love him now as a head coach.

There should be an asterisk next to comments from ex-players about coaches, because 99% of the time IMO they are talking about them as people and friends, not as their ability to coach (even if they are good or great coaches, too). When a player loves a coach, or even when that player "will run through a wall" for a coach, it's usually because they respect him as a guy and a man, and it has little to do with his coaching ability or inability.

Even when Buddy Nix and Jim Kelly were wining and dining with Tim Tebow, people mistook a lot of their quotes about Tebow to be about his playing ability, when they were really about about him as a guy.

it'd be nice to have a calculating, reptilian savant like Bellicheat leading our men

hes a sub-.500 non-marcia loser of a cheating dick that i wouldnt want anywhere near this team under any circumstances

even the inventor of dickball would be a genius if he had lucked into his own marcia

hes a sub-.500 non-marcia loser of a cheating dick that i wouldnt want anywhere near this team under any circumstances

even the inventor of dickball would be a genius if he had lucked into his own marcia

I hate to disagree because I obviously share your sentiment.

But who begat who: Brady/Bellicheat. It's a chicken/egg argument we'll never reach a consensus on.

I'm firmly of the belief that Bellicheat made Brady.

I hungout with a business guy from Chicago last night, who expressed his undying passion for Jauron--not as a great coach, but great guy!

He also went on saying his hatred for Wannstache...that's when we became good friends

Very interesting. What was the rub with Wanny? His "kids" would sit by us at the Bills bar out here...

if thats so why couldnt the great belicheat turn any of his other bum qbs into starters that got his teams to win more than they lost

i just hope to god that he keeps coaching there once marcia retires. but he wont. i sure as hell wouldnt if i were him, id just retire a genius instead of the guarantee of going back to being a sub-average douche

So far Dick jauron is the best coach for the Bills in the 21st Century. A feat that no other coach has come close too.

3 consecutive 7-9 seasons. Almost .500 ball that would have elevated the Bills to average. Had he accomplished 8-8 even once there would be proposals for a bronze bust at the Ralph. Not to be though. If he only had a decent OC.

Gailey while a more exciting offensive strategist, just couldn't get to the lofty 7-9 seasons.

I miss the Sundays when one could sleep for 3 quarters and still not miss much. Then sometimes awake to the awesome 12-9 victories. Field goals, and more field goals. And lets not forget the team MVP. Brian Moorman who was unceremoniously cut mid season in our amazing drive to 6-10.

Long live Dickball.

Edited by Best Player Available

ppl always say well he got twelve or w/e wins with cassel. yeah and they always forget that was exactly the season that all those vets took LESS money to play there try to get an easy ring. even dick jauron could have dickballed his way to twelve wins if a bunch of vets in their prime took two-thirds of their market value to play on the same team at the same time

in a hundred and ten-ish games genius bill couldnt get his teams to win more than they lost. theres only one place and one time that hes been able to win consistently, when he had arguably the best qb ever right at the time that the qb was the most over-emphasized position in all of sports. idk why in the hell that makes him a genius

I hate to disagree because I obviously share your sentiment.

But who begat who: Brady/Bellicheat. It's a chicken/egg argument we'll never reach a consensus on.

I'm firmly of the belief that Bellicheat made Brady.

Very interesting. What was the rub with Wanny? His "kids" would sit by us at the Bills bar out here...

Why did you put "kids" in quotation marks? Are you implying that they're not really his kids?

So far Dick jauron is the best coach for the Bills in the 21st Century. A feat that no other coach has come close too.

Mike Mularkey and his 9-7 record would like a word with you.

3 consecutive 7-9 seasons. Almost .500 ball that would have elevated the Bills to average. Had he accomplished 8-8 even once there would be proposals for a bronze bust at the Ralph. Not to be though. If he only had a decent OC.

Gailey while a more exciting offensive strategist, just couldn't get to the lofty 7-9 seasons.

I miss the Sundays when one could sleep for 3 quarters and still not miss much. Then sometimes awake to the awesome 12-9 victories. Field goals, and more field goals. And lets not forget the team MVP. Brian Moorman who was unceremoniously cut mid season in our amazing drive to 6-10.

Long live Dickball.

Dick Jauron may be a helluva guy, but man was he infuriating to watch as a coach. That vacant stare, the "It's hard to win in the NFL" quote. Etc, etc, ad nauseam. No one made me want to pull the hair out of my head more than Jauron. Ok, maybe J.P. Losman....but other than that, no.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

I also am one of the few who liked Jauron. Getting to 7-9 with JP Losman and Trent Edwards whether you thought he was too conservative or not was an accomplishment in of itself. I never bought in to the theory he drafted Aaron Maybin- Jauron never played the guy and and for good reason!