The Bills' current starting QB - the numbers

TJax isn't the answer but he might be a serviceable caretaker until we find a franchise QB.

And IMO that's all that really matters.

Whether it is Matt Moore or Matt Flynn or Jason Campbell, or Fitz or Kolb or TJax, it really doesn't matter to me.

I think all of us want a rookie who within two years is better than any of these guys.

If you accept that to be the case, what difference does it make if we have a veteran QB who is slightly more competent than another veteran QB and as a result leads us to 7 victories instead of 4 victories?

They didn't save any money. They deferred it.

If you had a plan you could argue taking the cap hit in a year you have very little chance to be competitive would be a better strategy than putting it off until later.

This is a very interesting point since the Mario Williams cap hit is $12M this year and rises to ~ $19M next year.

They may have a plan, but I'm wondering where the fire is to save this year's cap space since they don't seem to exactly be burning up the FA wire.

I live in Seattle and some Seahawks fans tell me that Jackson played credibly well in his one year here given that he was injured (shoulder, ribs). One used the word "courageous." They say his stats would have been better if he had been healthy. Even so, Seattle fans are obviously happy they ended up with Wilson under center rather than TJax.

TJax isn't the answer but he might be a serviceable caretaker until we find a franchise QB.

This. I'm not sure by what metric TJax is "better than Fitz" exactly, but he's a credible starting QB, and he's a gamer, he hustles, he tries. He's different from Fitz.

He has a significantly better arm than Fitz. He isn't as quick at reading Ds and getting the ball out. For those reasons, he takes more sacks than you'd like to see and he also, over his entire career including Seattle, throws equal #s of INTs and TDs. Because he needs time, he's probably best suited by a run-first O like Seattle which keeps the D honest and takes some of the pressure off. But he's good enough that there's not much point in chasing FA QB who might be incrementally better such as Campbell or Kolb. Stay with Jackson and draft 1-2 rookies.

I don't hold the failure to dress last year against Jackson. Either there was a FO/coaching agenda that had little to do with Jackson's abilities, or it really did take him longer than expected to learn the Bills playbook, which uses E-P route terminology. TJax has been a WC guy all his career. If the latter was the problem, it's gone now since Marrone/Haslett are almost certain to use WC terminology.