The Bills have a few holes to fill

chef4131

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. This is why Nix needs to be gone yesterday. He had 3 years to get a QB in the draft, but he and Gailey hitched their wagon to Fitzpatrick and insisted he was the man for the job. Nix should've been shown the door with Fitzpatrick. No way he should be in a decision-making role anymore.

I wish you guys would stop trying to hijack the thread.

I agree with those posters who suggest a trade down is the most likely scenario. Remember, we've only got 6 picks in this draft - and with the overload of talent in the top 3 rounds, the Bills are going to want to get as many picks as possible in those first 3 rounds. We should be picking up starters perhaps until round 4 (of course, you never know when or where a starter or pro-bowler might be picked - I'm generalizing here when I say there appears to be so much talent in the top 3 rounds this year that we SHOULD be getting starting material there).

That tells me - as well as our overall lack of movement in FA - that Nix is going to want to trade down and pick up extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. Will he have suitors? Of course, if Nix truly feels like this is his last go of it, and he wants to see a QB in place, and a properly functioning team in place THIS year, he might be compelled to trade up to get "his guy", whoever that might be. The only problem I have with that scenario is there just doesn't appear to be any evidence to suggest that Geno Smith will be a better pro than EJ Manuel, or Nassib, or Landry, or Barkley, or Glennon, or even Scott (who is getting A LOT of attention from GM's and scouts, and looks to be a 3rd round pick now, whereas two months ago he was seen as a 6th to UDFA value).

Therefor, if I had to bet on the course of action Buddy and Co. will take in this year's draft, it would be this: they sit at 8 where they have a few players they covet, who if they fall to 8 would be steals, and they pick one of them, or, if those coveted guys are gone, they look to trade down and pick up extra picks.

Receiver is a very overrated position. Good QBs make receivers better. Brady played with scrubs for most of his career. IMO, receiver is a position when we can find guys later. I'd hate to burn a high pick on a receiver because very few times are the difference in a team's W-L total. The best receiver in the game, Calvin Johnson, has played in one playoff game.

I want to say this: god forbid Stevie Johnson gets hurt. Who, then, is the number one receiver on the roster? Ruvell Martin or T.J. Graham? The Bills need to sign some vetren receivers pronto. Otherwise Nix will need to draft at least three receivers, and bring some at least two more as UFA. This is getting ridiculous. David Clowney isn't going to cut it, Buddy. What other scrubs from SD can you bring in?

There are four huge holes on this team now, inside linebacker, guard, QB, wide receiver, which Nix has done nothing to address via free agency. We might be bottoming out and putting ourselves in the position for the first pick of 2014. And no, this is not an OMG THE SKY IS FALLING THREAD. This is the reality that we don't have any receivers or QBs on the roster. There is no way we can fill both needs in the draft.

I agree 100% and we are making some of the holes ourselves. The cost of filling them goes up also when it is obvious you need the FA

I agree 100% and we are making some of the holes ourselves. The cost of filling them goes up also when it is obvious you need the FA

What major holes did we really create though? We let go off 32 year old guys from a terrible defense (McGee, Barnett, Wilson) and 2 UDFA receivers.

The premise of the thread was "staying even".

As I said.....we still have 2 of the 3 starting LBs from last season. Sheppard started 15 games.....Bradham 11 after earning the starting job. Lawson is likely an upgrade over Barnett....so we are actually likely better at LB already than last season.

"Staying even" over last years WRs......Nelson didn't play after week 1. A legless octogenarian would be as productive as he was as he was on IR.

Please don't argue different points to the point of the thread title that you wrote. Had you written that we are in a bad situation.....that we likely won't win more, or likely will win less etc, etc, etc.....I wouldn't have made issue. But you stated that we need to do all those things "just to stay even".....which is not the case.

Excuse me sir...you are obviously a pro sports writer with a very stunted approach. I will argue more than 1 point if I choose to. Your option is to not read them.

If you think that Bradham is a starter and going to 4 LB sets with no one on the roster is not a self created issue then I am not sure what may be important to you.

We weakened ourselves at OL, LB, QB and WR for sure. Last year we cut at least 3 young WR with a chance and kept Ruvell Martin..who what a choice. Now the players we kept we are cutting...bad bad managing

When it is obvious that you have the need th cost goes up to fill the position, and we become more desparate to draft for need rather than the best player.

Anyone who has followed the NFL knows that.

After the NY Jets in the first round, I don't think any team after will draft a QB. That means trading to the front of the 2nd to get a QB. NFL network path to the draft round table posited that Oakland may cut Palmer and draft Geno Smith after watching today's pro day at West Virginia. If the Bills don't get a chance to draft Smith, try to trade back and pick up draft picks. Then at the end of the first when teams start to jockey for position to draft a QB, The Bills will have opportnity to use the added pick to move up and nab the QB the team wants. Other that Smith, I don't see any other QB in the draft being a early or mid first rounder. Most are viewed as 2nd and 3rd round talents.

Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if the Texans grab a QB like Nassib at the end of Round 1, and/or if a team that passed on a QB in the top 10 (the Jets, Raiders, Cardinals, or Eagles) trades up from their second round pick into the end of Round 1 to take a QB, like the Bills may be trying to do.

And I agree with the OP - I am VERY concerned that Buddy migth go "all in" on finding a QB on his way out the door, and sacrifice what looks to be a top 3 draft pick next year. It would be just the icing on the cake for Nix's tenure - to totally screw us on his way out.

Our #1 WR threat was a 7th rounder... just like every other position in football, it doesn't matter WHERE they're drafted, it matters who the player is and if he "has it" or not. We need to find more of those players because we only have a small handful of them. Does Patterson "have it"? Does Geno Smith "have it"? Chance Warmack? Hell boys, it's the scouting dept that's done us in for the past decade+.

Most of you will say "no **** Sherlock", and those that don't need to get a clue.

Receiver is a very overrated position. Good QBs make receivers better. Brady played with scrubs for most of his career. IMO, receiver is a position when we can find guys later. I'd hate to burn a high pick on a receiver because very few times are the difference in a team's W-L total. The best receiver in the game, Calvin Johnson, has played in one playoff game.

Calvin Johnson is the reason that team wins any games at all..

BINGO!!

Calvin Johnson is the reason that team wins any games at all..

The goal is not to win "any" games. The goal is to win the last game.

How do you figure we need another LB to stay even with last year? We still have 2 of the 3 starters from last year......and Lawson. We are likely better than we were already at LB compared to last season.

Similarly.....how do you figure we need a starting WR to be the equal of last year? As I recall our #1 & #2 were SJ & Graham.....we still have those.

From the looks we need a backup DE(replacing Kelsay)......and likely have a safety of similar talent(or better) to Wilson already on the roster.

QB??? Honestly. 1st round draft choice. Might be crap....might be brilliant. Either way, TJ is comparable to Fitz.....bad is bad, losing is losing.

TE Likely will only miss a few games at worst from what I read.

OG is the only area where one can think that we have realistically regressed. As OL seems to be a position where we have scouted well recently.....and that our new HC has perhaps a penchant for the OL.....I'd say they likely have a plan.

There is still a bucket load of FAs available, it should be easy to replace a hand full of players who played poorly or were backup for us last year.

All that in mind, I am not satisfied if we stay the same level of mediocre that we were last year.......but it is a massive over reaction to suggest that any player that we lost apart from Levitre would actually be difficult in any way to replace.

I'd also like to add that both Kelsay and Anderson missed, what, 11 games last year? So, arguably, your depth at DE is at least as good as it was for 3/4 of the 2012 season...

Yes, but Brandon needs to sell tickets. I see them going for it this year. The bad news is Nix is the guy doing the evaluations.

What Brandon needs is 5 games in the Ralph before Halloween. That will sell the tickets no matter how mediocre the team is. Its all about the tailgate and good weather for Bills games now. 50 somethings like me won't go if the weather is crap (i.e.: any game in November or December) and the 20 something walk up ticket buyers don't come if bad weather threatens to spoil the party. Team? What team? oh you mean the game they play after the tailgate...oh .. right...