Bucs make Goldson highest paid safety

QCity

somebody posted on twitter yesterday that Bryan Scott has almost identical stats to Goldson (actually slightly better) with half of the snaps. Yet he makes $750k and is disliked by many fans and Goldson makes $8m per yr. Crazy how perception is more important than reality.

I would not want the Bills to pay Byrd anywhere close to what Goldson just got. Plenty of good safeties available at far more reasonable prices.

Isn't that a foregone conclusion seeing as how he got a franchise tag and all?

somebody posted on twitter yesterday that Bryan Scott has almost identical stats to Goldson (actually slightly better) with half of the snaps. Yet he makes $750k and is disliked by many fans and Goldson makes $8m per yr. Crazy how perception is more important than reality.

I would not want the Bills to pay Byrd anywhere close to what Goldson just got. Plenty of good safeties available at far more reasonable prices.

I don't possibly see how you could compare the two. Golson is a FS and Scott was used as a LB. Even when Scott was playing nickel DB years ago he wasn't in the same league as Goldson. All this tells me is a) don't believe everything you read on Twitter and b) stats not used in proper context (i.e.tackles) are meaningless. Byrd is probably the #1 FS in the entire league, he didn't allow a single TD in coverage last year.

Isn't that a foregone conclusion seeing as how he got a franchise tag and all?

I don't think so. I expect them to give him a similar contract probably sometime over the summer (they will wait until all rookies and FAs are signed then open negotiations).

depend on what we field this year. another bottom to top 13 year rebuild? byrdmeister is gone regardless and rightly so.

can we get some wins and get turned up thats another story.

But jeez the price to performance of players is really the chess match these days. not as fun as the ye olde days

I don't think so. I expect them to give him a similar contract probably sometime over the summer (they will wait until all rookies and FAs are signed then open negotiations).

Hunh? You don't want them to pay Byrd anywhere close, but if they wait until the summer to start negotiations then they can give him "a similar contract"? I'm clearly missing something. Was this originally in Chinese and poorly translated? B-) (I kid, I kid.)

My point, which you disagreed with before agreeing with, was that Byrd is tagged and will get the average of the top paid guys at his position. So, unless they remove the tag, the Bills are going to have to eat the sausage and pay him a contract somewhere close to what Goldson got, your druthers not withstanding.

Two things stand out reading this:

1) stats really don't tell the whole story

2) never have I seen something as simple as CBS starting to mic lineman so we can hear really basic line calls screw one guys reputation worse than "43 is the mike"

As for Byrd - the otherwise very soft safety market (several starters still jobless) likely is helping us a lot right now. You're about to see some good players sign one year 3-4m deals

Hunh? You don't want them to pay Byrd anywhere close, but if they wait until the summer to start negotiations then they can give him "a similar contract"? I'm clearly missing something. Was this originally in Chinese and poorly translated? B-) (I kid, I kid.)

My point, which you disagreed with before agreeing with, was that Byrd is tagged and will get the average of the top paid guys at his position. So, unless they remove the tag, the Bills are going to have to eat the sausage and pay him a contract somewhere close to what Goldson got, your druthers not withstanding.

Yeah we've got a disconnect here. I want them to re-sign Byrd long term. My anger was directed at the Bucs for recklessly throwing around cash and driving up the FS market, thinking Byrd is going to want what Goldson got ($22M guaranteed is pretty hefty). I would prefer we didn't pay him that much, but we may have to now. Someone else made the comment to "negotiate with Byrd now" and I thought that would be unlikely. I would assume they would sign all FAs and draft picks first, assess the books, then negotiate a long-term deal with Byrd - which would probably be over the summer ala Freddy Jackson.

EDIT: ahh ok I get it now. When Maddog69 said "Plenty of good safeties available at far more reasonable prices" he was implying we jettison Byrd. I thought you meant it was a forgone conclusion that we tagged him for 1 year and he's gone. I was responding to that part, meaning I don't think we let him walk, and will get a long-term deal done this summer. I need a beer now.

How long do the Bills have to give Byrd a contract?

Last year the cutoff date was July 16, so around that time.

Obviously he's worth more than a good offensive lineman

Absolutely, I agree.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills