Cannot believe the lack of respect for Levitre from this board

He wasn't an All-Pro, either.

You could have made a very strong case for him going to the Pro Bowl twice.

Just like C.J. Spiller should have gone to the Pro Bowl for this past season, but he didn't.

Between Reggie Mckenzie and Andy Levitre, which was the point that I was responding to.

Quite some time wasn't it?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the line that gets me. A lot of people here have been saying this whenever talking about Levitre.

So I will ask again, if Guards are a dime a dozen, then how come the Bills haven't had a good Guard before Levitre got to this team?

Honestly, who was the last exceptional Guard on this team before Levitre?

No one has been able to answer this for me.

Joe DeLamielleure, Reggie McKenzie, and Ruben Brown were the best ever drafted by The Bills, IMHO.

These guys played some, but weren't great. They drafted maybe 5-6 other guys that never amounted to anything.

Mark Traynowicz

Glenn Parker

Corbin Lacina

Tom Nutten

Jamie Nails

Please get back to us when Levitre gets to the Pro Bowl.

Actually, that will probably happen now that he's on the NFL Network and PFT's radar as the fourth highest paid Guard in NFL history. That doesn't change the fact that without a QB, and many, many holes to fill, they couldn't spend the $ to keep him here. That said, they'd better sign Chad Rinehart pretty damn quick.

Edited by Nanker

You could have made a very strong case for him going to the Pro Bowl twice.

Just like C.J. Spiller should have gone to the Pro Bowl for this past season, but he didn't.

Quite some time wasn't it?

Well, I'd like to hear it Mark.

But if you cite ProFootballFocus, I'm gonna be suspect.

GO BILLS!!!

Because people aren't stomping their feet and throwing tantraums that means there's a lack of respect?

I've been impressed by the reaction for that very reason; almost everyone realizes Tenn overpaid to get him and the Bills would have been foolish to match the offer.

Joe DeLamielleure, Reggie McKenzie, and Ruben Brown were the best ever drafted by The Bills, IMHO.

These guys played some, but weren't great. They drafted maybe 5-6 other guys that never amounted to anything.

Mark Traynowicz

Glenn Parker

Corbin Lacina

Tom Nutten

Jamie Nails

Billy Shaw. Hands down. Only player HOFer that never played a down in the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

For those saying he didn't make the Pro Bowl or the all-Pro squad, I suggest that you take a serious look at Profootballfocus.com and footballoutsiders.com. He's an excellent, productive player, and certainly of pro bowl caliber if that designation had any basis in reality. As for the all-pro squad, bear in mind that sportswriters do the picking. They tend to not know much about interior line play. He will be missed.

Edited by dave mcbride

Very good OG but not even top 10 in the league and they are paying him top 3 money. We need WR's, QB's, TE's, and LB's and lots of them. Can't waste that money on a guard. He should have been locked up last year at a lower cost. Nix blew that one. He should have told Jackson he is old and be thankful he has a job in the NFL and a year left on his contract. Then he should have used that money to sign Levitre. Water under the bridge now. Get Byrd locked up long term and then try to get Wood signed before training camp.

Well, I'd like to hear it Mark.

But if you cite ProFootballFocus, I'm gonna be suspect.

GO BILLS!!!

Why? At least PFF has a reasonably objective system despite it's flaw. For guards on the all-pro squad, you're relying on the Chiefs beat writer to make evaluations. I'll take PFF any day over that.

Mark Traynowicz

Glenn Parker

Corbin Lacina

Tom Nutten

Jamie Nails

Exactly.

I'm not saying Levitre is the greatest Guard the Bills have ever had.

My point, is that if Guards are a dime a dozen, then why have the Bills had so many rotten Guards up until recently?

Edited by Mark Vader

Very good OG but not even top 10 in the league and they are paying him top 3 money. We need WR's, QB's, TE's, and LB's and lots of them. Can't waste that money on a guard. He should have been locked up last year at a lower cost. Nix blew that one. He should have told Jackson he is old and be thankful he has a job in the NFL and a year left on his contract. Then he should have used that money to sign Levitre. Water under the bridge now. Get Byrd locked up long term and then try to get Wood signed before training camp.

name 10 guards better then Levitre please. I put him top 3

Mark Traynowicz

Glenn Parker

Corbin Lacina

Tom Nutten

Jamie Nails

What no Jim Richer? Granted John Davis was drafted by Houston but he should get honorable mention.

I'd have a ton of respect for Levitre at $5-6M per season. $8M? Not so much. Way too much of your cap tied up in one of the easiest positions to replace.

If he were an elite talent, I could see the point. Even for a G. But he's just not an elite performer.

For those saying he didn't make the Pro Bowl or the all-Pro squad, I suggest that you take a serious look at Profootballfocus.com and footballoutsiders.com. He's an excellent, productive player, and certainly of pro bowl caliber if that designation had any basis in reality. As for the all-pro squad, bear in mind that sportswriters do the picking. They tend to not know much about interior line play. He will be missed.

But the good folks at ProFootballFocus do? Maybe they should vote for HOF candidates, too.

Even if the scribes that vote DON'T know (and that's a blanket statement to make, BTW), they are in a FAR better position to query the professionals that DO. Much closer to the game and its inner circle.

GO BILLS!!!

who was the last great Bills guard before Levitre? Reggie McKenzie? For all the talk about how easy it is to find a guard- the Bills have not found a good one for 30 years. Offensive line is all about continuity. And our offensive line WAS finally coming together. I think the only person more pissed about the Levitre !@#$ up is CJ Spiller

Thank you.

I don't think there is disrespect for Levitre's game necessarily, but I think people are really underestimating him. I think he is worth top-5 guard money, especially since in two years it will be top-10 guard money with the way the contracts tend to escalate. That said, is it the right move for the Bills to bust their budget on him? I don't know. I sure wish that we knew they had at least given him an offer.

This is the line that gets me. A lot of people here have been saying this whenever talking about Levitre.

So I will ask again, if Guards are a dime a dozen, then how come the Bills haven't had a good Guard before Levitre got to this team?

Honestly, who was the last exceptional Guard on this team before Levitre?

No one has been able to answer this for me.

Who do you consider to be the 'exceptional' guards in the league?

If he were an elite talent, I could see the point. Even for a G. But he's just not an elite performer.

But the good folks at ProFootballFocus do? Maybe they should vote for HOF candidates, too.

Even if the scribes that vote DON'T know (and that's a blanket statement to make, BTW), they are in a FAR better position to query the professionals that DO. Much closer to the game and its inner circle.

GO BILLS!!!

Who should be voting for the HOF is an open question, at least to me. See above about Football Outsiders. I'll confess to being a huge fan of sabermetrics in baseball and of Nate Silver, although I realize such methods are trickier in football because of the moving parts. But I'll take statistical analysis any day over impressionistic assessments.

Hey Niagara

You've added a number of rebuttle posts, why do you keep ignoring this one? Please explain it?? Could the Bills have afforded the 7 mil this year, sure, probably even next year would have been OK, but at some point you're going to be in trouble when giving that much to a guard. It two years what's Glenn going to want and next season is Wood. As someone tried to make the point about Menken, if you're one or two players away from being in the Super Bowl, it's worth over paying. But that's not the case here.

Can you explain for us the Bills long-term cap situation or are you just talking out your ass?

And you guys know this for a fact how?? Maybe they never had any in-depth discussions as they could sense AL was asking way more than they felt he was worth. While this may be deemed no contact, they could also have asked his agent, have his contract demands changed at all, no, OK thanks! Easily portrayed as no contact, but not really true. There are times I belive when teams can if they are in the game or not. And if not, why bother.

And to think that we never even contacted Levitre- disgusting

The Bills never even contacted Levitre. They could of at least attempted to sign him. END OF STORY

The best thing Levitre had going for him was that he never missed a game.

Is that worth almost $8 Mil a year?

Not to me

Also....

Maybe it's just me but I never got the feeling that Levitre wanted to stay in Buffalo. He never said he will give them the opportunity to match any offer he gets and said he would not give the Bills a hometown discount.

He wanted top dollars and you cant blame him for leaving the Bills to take it.

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan