Buffalo unemployment rate at 9.6%, highest in 20 years

Facinating that a board about Buffalo sports, populated by people who virtually all live or previously lived in Buffalo, has no interest in discussing unemployment in Buffalo.

nimby

The only surprise in a state whose policies are hostile to any business operating north or west of Bear Mountain is that the unemployment rate is actually below 10%.

Of course, that 9.6% number only reflects the people receiving unemployment benefits, not the actual unemployment rate in a city full of welfare recipients.

If only the workers had more union rights!

If only we'd come to our senses and pass a "living wage" law...then businesses would flock here. Who doesn't want to be forced to ignore market value, and everything else they learned in business school/on the job, in favor flat out buffoonery?

Maybe we should raise property taxes, so we can have better schools. That won't destroy the tax base even further, and cause raising rates, again, to be the only solution. Businesses will want to come to Buffalo/NYS and pay higher tax rates, so that they can get: the Buffalo school system.

How about we hire more state employees we can never fire, this way they will always stay in Buffalo? That will kill off unemployment...and, since we've raised taxes for better schools, we'll just raise them again to pay for the government employees who will want to come here because of the schools. There's plenty of businesses in WNY who can afford it: look at Roswell Park and UB!

I really don't get why you guys don't understand this stuff: it's so simple.

Facinating that a board about Buffalo sports, populated by people who virtually all live or previously lived in Buffalo, has no interest in discussing unemployment in Buffalo.

This is an interesting point... I wonder what the geographical demo is of PPP though. I see a lot of handles suggesting most of the regulars on here live elsewhere now. More so than on the main wall.

High unemployment all across upstate New York.

Downstate New York is insanely expensive. $14.00 to cross a lot of NYC area bridges, etc.

I watch the television programs House Hunters, Property Virgins, etc. Whenever they're looking at houses in the NYC metropolitan area they're hideously ugly in addition to being way overpriced. You can see the resigned depression on the home buyers faces.

If only we'd come to our senses and pass a "living wage" law...then businesses would flock here. Who doesn't want to be forced to ignore market value, and everything else they learned in business school/on the job, in favor flat out buffoonery?

Maybe we should raise property taxes, so we can have better schools. That won't destroy the tax base even further, and cause raising rates, again, to be the only solution. Businesses will want to come to Buffalo/NYS and pay higher tax rates, so that they can get: the Buffalo school system.

How about we hire more state employees we can never fire, this way they will always stay in Buffalo? That will kill off unemployment...and, since we've raised taxes for better schools, we'll just raise them again to pay for the government employees who will want to come here because of the schools. There's plenty of businesses in WNY who can afford it: look at Roswell Park and UB!

That's a copyright infringement. You stole that from the Liberal Dems playbook. Look for the mods to delete it.

And nothing helps a school system like raising taxes just a little bit more so that the teachers can get free boob jobs. After all, a stacked teacher is a happy and motivated teacher!

How many of you guys still live in NY? I decided Im moving. I have been trying to quit since yesterday but my Boss is in and out I cant even track him down!

Take a crap on his desk with a note telling him: "Eat ****, Love Peterpan". He'll get the message.