Slow Day in Crime Fighting - Lawnmower DWI

Arrest record -

Click on the link for Zone 3, Thurs (3/7)

https://www.nyspnews...m?section_id=25

Bottom of the 3rd page

He also had two warrants out...

https://www.nyspnews...rticle_id=29509

This, when taken together with the information of Brian Moss "Top Commenter", seems to indicate the driver was not a Fulbright Scholar. I mean, if you have two warrants outstanding (probably for failure to pay child support, disorderly conduct, failure to appear) you should avoid driving altogether...but if you call the NYSP and ask them to locate the mower you are sitting on...you have a major learning disability.

This, when taken together with the information of Brian Moss "Top Commenter", seems to indicate the driver was not a Fulbright Scholar. I mean, if you have two warrants outstanding (probably for failure to pay child support, disorderly conduct, failure to appear) you should avoid driving altogether...but if you call the NYSP and ask them to locate the mower you are sitting on...you have a major learning disability.

So I'm confused. Is this a case of small town cops with nothing to do or a case of arresting a guy not so much for his driving a mower while buzzed but his two outstanding warrants??

I've heard stories of people getting a DUI while riding a horse.

A few years ago I guy that worked for me was out drinking, decided he was okay to drive home and got in his car to drive away. He was about to pull out of his parking spot and realized his vision was more impaired than he thought, and realize he shouldn't be driving. He turned off the engine and hopped in the back seat and passed out. Woke up with a cop banging on the window. He was arrested for DUI because the keys were still in the ignition. Got a fine and license suspended for 6 months (but ended up getting it back in around 3 months).

I thought he was full of crap (trying not to get fired) until he showed me the police report. I've since heard about similar things happening, but I think his was the only time I've heard about it happening to someone in the back seat.

Edited by Faustus

A few years ago I guy that worked for me was out drinking, decided he was okay to drive home and got in his car to drive away. He was about to pull out of his parking spot and realized his vision was more impaired than he thought, and realize he shouldn't be driving. He turned off the engine and hopped in the back seat and passed out. Woke up with a cop banging on the window. He was arrested for DUI because the keys were still in the ignition. Got a fine and license suspended for 6 months (but ended up getting it back in around 3 months).

I thought he was full of crap (trying not to get fired) until he showed me the police report. I've since heard about similar things happening, but I think his was the only time I've heard about it happening to someone in the back seat.

I've heard that before. It always struck me as kind of effed up. What are you supposed to do sleep it off outside where they arrest you for public intoxication? Not everyplace has public transportation.

Keys in the ignition is indicia of operation (ability to operate). Same if the engine is running to keep heater on in the winter; even without intent to drive, it is still operation.

I was going to post the link of the guy in Whitehall NY who was issued a DWI for riding a motorized beer cooler....yes, he was operating a beer cooler with electric engine while impaired.