Favorite pre 1960 music.

saw " asleep at the wheel" last night. been around 42 years so not quite long enough but i thought they were fantastic. really becoming a fan of western swing. haven't listened to much Bob Wills (who was big pre 1960) but several songs done last night were by him. "Bob Wills is still the king" is a great song (also done at last nights show)about him written by waylon jennings but unfortunately still not old enough. how bout just saying old western swing and leave it at that.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnP_NRLzlc

Edited by birdog1960

saw " asleep at the wheel" last night. been around 42 years so not quite long enough but i thought they were fantastic. really becoming a fan of western swing. haven't listened to much Bob Wills (who was big pre 1960) but several songs done last night were by him. "Bob Wills is still the king" is a great song (also done at last nights show)about him written by waylon jennings but unfortunately still not old enough. how bout just saying old western swing and leave it at that.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnP_NRLzlc

Love Bob Wills birdog...love Western Swing...if you really dig that stuff, check out Spade Cooley. It has been said, had he not murdered his wife, he would likely be carrying the "father of Western Swing" moniker that Wills holds...both were great. Asleep At the Wheel is one of the best times you can ever have at a live show...Ray Benson is the constant, but he has an amazing knack for finding new people for the lineup....

Finding something I love, prior to 1960 is harder than finding somethign current, becasue there is so much great stuff prior to the 60's... Bill Haley... but I think Little Richard may have been one of the most outrageous (and outrageously talented) and trail blazing acts to come out of the time...imagine your folks hearing you listen to this, back in Tonawanda or Lacakawana back in 1956:

"The Girl Can't Help It" 1956;

If it ain't Chuck it ain't !@#$!

Edited by Buftex

Love Bob Wills birdog...love Western Swing...if you really dig that stuff, check out Spade Cooley. It has been said, had he not murdered his wife, he would likely be carrying the "father of Western Swing" moniker that Wills holds...both were great. Asleep At the Wheel is one of the best times you can ever have at a live show...Ray Benson is the constant, but he has an amazing knack for finding new people for the lineup....

Finding something I love, prior to 1960 is harder than finding somethign current, becasue there is so much great stuff prior to the 60's... Bill Haley... but I think Little Richard may have been one of the most outrageous (and outrageously talented) and trail blazing acts to come out of the time...imagine your folks hearing you listen to this, back in Tonawanda or Lacakawana back in 1956:

"The Girl Can't Help It" 1956;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhW7beGKSUg

If it ain't Chuck it ain't !@#$!

it was a "mountain stage" npr show to be aired in early May - worth a listen if your local station carries it or listen to a podcast. Benson just seems to be having so much fun and the crowd definitely is. He said someone facebooked him and said they thought about coming to the show but decided against it because they thought that "they'd only play for 10 minutes" (there were 5 bands for a supposedly 2 hour radio show - asleep was the last, headline act). after the 5th or 6th song, Ray related this story and said "i guess we put that to rest" and continued playing song after song. from my seat, i could see the npr guys getting more and more upset - they had a whole house band and recording crew on the clock. anyway, i was a fan before but now i'm a big fan. my wife kept sayings "i wish we could dance" but it was in a theater with steep aisles ...would love to see them in a bar or dance hall. there was a 5 year old girl next to us who obviously enjoyed all the music but she got really animated and rambunctious when asleep at the wheel was on...gotta see that as a sign of good, visceral, foot stomping music.