I dont understand any of this cut Fitz talk

Yup. Easiest target requiring the least amount of mental effort.

I will clarify, that he had plenty to do with it. But if we had a solid defense the entire year last year, I suspect we would have finished at 8-8 or 9-7. He's not good enough to make up for a bad defense, or missing offensive weapons. But I also don't think he's so bad that he'd take a team with a good defense, and offensive weapons, and turn it into a losing team.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. There is no better option right now. In spite of his short comings this team could have won more games last year if it had a decent defense and a coach that didn't put the game in Fitz's hand. Minimize Fitz. Play Defense.

But I am still pissed they didn't draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd last year

In 2012: Defense was 26th in pts/game...Offense was 21st

In 2011: Defense was 30th in pts/game....Offense was 14th

Why not keep fitz, try to improve the defense and aim for 8-8 or 9-7 next season and a possibility at a Wild Card? Is that not an option????? (also, this option does not prevent us from drafting a QB either this year or next). Makes the most sense to me.

That's what I'd probably do but a lot of people on this board believe to be really competitive you need a top 5 kinda QB and to get one other than by a random act of God is to do the combination of not having the bad luck of not having a QB like that in the draft (like this year) and draft right up top.

That's what I'd probably do but a lot of people on this board believe to be really competitive you need a top 5 kinda QB and to get one other than by a random act of God is to do the combination of not having the bad luck of not having a QB like that in the draft (like this year) and draft right up top.

Nope. But having a top 32 qb is important. Fitz is worse than Sanchez.

I will clarify, that he had plenty to do with it. But if we had a solid defense the entire year last year, I suspect we would have finished at 8-8 or 9-7. He's not good enough to make up for a bad defense, or missing offensive weapons. But I also don't think he's so bad that he'd take a team with a good defense, and offensive weapons, and turn it into a losing team.

A good thing you did, because I'd like to see a link to any post that states Fitz is the "only reason" this team sucks. The offense ranking high could have something to do with the fact we have a pretty damn good backfield. As always, stats are misleading.

But as you state, even with a solid defense, we finish no better than 9 - 7. That isn't good enough. If that's where you max out WITH a good defense, then why keep the guy? Cut him, get his cap # off the books for 2014 and move on. If TJax "leads" us to 2 - 14 or 3 - 13, is that really the worse thing to happen? I'd honestly take it over 6 - 10. I'd prefer 11 - 5 or better, but as you state, Fitz won't get us there. Ever.

I don't understand why there isn't more talk about cutting or firing the yahoo that gave him this contract !! That is where the true problem lies !

Who ever saw that it was such a emergency to get this guy under contract #1 & then to give him the contract that they did with what seems every thing in the contract benefitting Fitz & no out for the team that is who needs to be cut !!

I don't understand why there isn't more talk about cutting or firing the yahoo that gave him this contract !! That is where the true problem lies !

Who ever saw that it was such a emergency to get this guy under contract #1 & then to give him the contract that they did with what seems every thing in the contract benefitting Fitz & no out for the team that is who needs to be cut !!

Excellent point.

A good thing you did, because I'd like to see a link to any post that states Fitz is the "only reason" this team sucks. The offense ranking high could have something to do with the fact we have a pretty damn good backfield. As always, stats are misleading.

But as you state, even with a solid defense, we finish no better than 9 - 7. That isn't good enough. If that's where you max out WITH a good defense, then why keep the guy? Cut him, get his cap # off the books for 2014 and move on. If TJax "leads" us to 2 - 14 or 3 - 13, is that really the worse thing to happen? I'd honestly take it over 6 - 10. I'd prefer 11 - 5 or better, but as you state, Fitz won't get us there. Ever.

I don't agree. There's nothing that prevents us from trying to get as many wins as possible this upcoming season while also drafting/developing a QB this year or next.

You play to win ever season and let the chips fall where they may.

My ideal scenario:

Keep Fitz, draft a QB in first 3 rounds. Let Fitz/TJax/rookie compete and let best one win. If rookie doesn't win the job for Week 1, then start either Fitz/Tjax. If we start off say 5-2, keep going with the veteran. We start off 1-5, switch to the rookie if ready.

The team has more upside with Fitz than without Fitz - at least for next season. (IMO).

Edited by bobobonators

I think whether Fitz or Sanchez is better depends on what Sunday You saw them play. But if you could combine Fitz's brain with Sanchez's physical tools, you might have a pretty good quarterback.

Keep Fitz, draft a QB in first 3 rounds. Let Fitz/TJax/rookie compete and let best one win. If rookie doesn't win the job for Week 1, then start either Fitz/Tjax. If we start off say 5-2, keep going with the veteran. We start off 1-5, switch to the rookie if ready.

a very wise and extremely handsome in a fleshy sort of way man says this is exactly whats going to happen, except that he guarantees fitz will be the game one starter. dwi

As I've said before... I'm of the opinion we keep him until we know we have a better option. Going into the season with only TJ at the QB position is a bit silly.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the cap effect.

You might be... I believe while you cannot save cap room this year by cutting him, you WOULD save it next year by cuttinghim now. If you want until next year to cut you not only took up the space this year, but you'll be taking up some next year as well. Plus you are just plain paying him a bunch of money that may not effect cap this year, but may effect what they want to spend overall. So there are financial reasons to cut him.

You are right. There is no better option right now. In spite of his short comings this team could have won more games last year if it had a decent defense and a coach that didn't put the game in Fitz's hand. Minimize Fitz. Play Defense.

But I am still pissed they didn't draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd last year

Or Kirk Cousins, the dead skins picked him just before us in the 4th round.

This is nonsense man.

Over last 3 years, Fitz has averaged more total yards, more yards/attempts, more TD's and a higher QBR every single year. Fitz has 5 more INT's over those 3 years but has 15 more TDs over those 3 years.

Thanks for bringing up Sanchez though, b/c that's a perfect example of how far a great defense can take a team w/ a crappy QB.

At 6-10 with a bottom of the league Defense, we don't need to have a top 3 defense like the jets to make the playoffs, but if this defense was able to make it to the top 20 or top 15, there's no reason to believe that this team can't easily go 9-7 or maybe 10-6 with Fitz and a better coaching staff.

Edited by bobobonators

I agree we need a top 5 QB.

But... there isn't one in FA. And according to the "experts", there isn't one in the draft. So... where does that leave us?

You might be... I believe while you cannot save cap room this year by cutting him, you WOULD save it next year by cuttinghim now. If you want until next year to cut you not only took up the space this year, but you'll be taking up some next year as well. Plus you are just plain paying him a bunch of money that may not effect cap this year, but may effect what they want to spend overall. So there are financial reasons to cut him.

So then the idea is to head into preseason with TJax as the QB, and whatever "scrub" we pick up in the draft? People see this as an improvement over Fitz? Or is the idea to save money, tank a season, and go for some highly touted QB that the experts all agree is "THE MAN"?

Or Kirk Cousins, the dead skins picked him just before us in the 4th round.

I know other people poo on this thought, but I'd give serious consideration to trading a draft pick or two for Cousins. We've seen him in real football games, he can plan, it's much less risky than wasting a 8 on "mediocre" college talent.

In 2012: Defense was 26th in pts/game...Offense was 21st

In 2011: Defense was 30th in pts/game....Offense was 14th

Why not keep fitz, try to improve the defense and aim for 8-8 or 9-7 next season and a possibility at a Wild Card? Is that not an option????? (also, this option does not prevent us from drafting a QB either this year or next). Makes the most sense to me.

Because our goal should be to cut the dead weight and get the talent in here to get us to 10+ wins, a division title then the superbowl. Not 'just' 8-8 and hope for the best. We know Fitz isn't going to get us anywhere, cut bait and give a young kid a try.

If Fitz is the worst QB ever than what does that say about all the Bills QBs since Kelly?

PTR

They have all sucked outside of Kelly sans Flutie's 99 season where he got wrongfully benched. But even then we were putting a backup out there to be a starter.

But to sum up, yes all the QB's since Kelly sucked.

Alright, if 8-8 is not a goal, its either Superbowl or bust, and we don't have the pieces on defense or offense, why haven't we cut more big contracts? Shouldn't we also cut Stevie and Mario? Even with TJax or random rookie, we're probably still going to finish with 6 or 7 wins if the defense improves like we suspect it will. Which doesn't really do much for us, gives us a "crappy" pick, like every other year.

This idea that we need to be 0-16 or 16-0 and nothing else just confounds me. Whatever happened to making incremental improvements? Fix the team up as best as possible, even if we only get to 8-8, take another off season to improve on that, maybe get to 10-6, etc.

There are no quarterbacks in this draft, and no quarterbacks available in free agency.

Since your opening statement is incorrect, there was no point of continuing.

are you familiar with "addition by subtraction" ?

It would be nice to know who is replacement is first, but unless he restructures he should be cut.