The Bills do not have a need at DT?

Beerball

I think this team will have a hybrid defense. Just don't know if will be a bse 3-4 or 4-3. They are caught, personnelwise, in between both. Troup would be an asset at NT. His bad back has to comply or he will get cut. You will be able to guage where there intend to go by the LBs, if any, they try to sign in Free Agency.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Than stopping the run?

Absolutely.

And this is the exact reason why it's absurd to want to draft guys like Ogletree and Te'o ahead of guys like Jordan or Ansah, or a guy like Warmack ahead of one of the top offensive tackles.

First and foremost, defenses have to be able to pressure the quarterback and cover the receivers.

If he checks out between the ears, ogletree is on the field in place of Barnett which is >90% of the plays. So that has some value, although in general I agree with you that the pass rusher is more important. I just think our team will place more value on ogletree because of our needs, right or wrong.

No... Bills don't have a need at dt if you're talking the 4-3. However, they have a gaping hole at nose tackle and the 3-4 will be a flop without a bonafide NT. The bills went down that road 3 years ago when the 3-4 flopped. The success of the Jets defense was predicated on kris jenkins the first couple years .... he could not be moved or controlled.... and then the past couple years pouha. Bills need a 330 lb. Nt that is bonafide... period.

In free agency the only bonafide one out there that has game left in the tank is sopoaga... and they better grab him quickly and then supplement that with Brandon Williams in the draft.

Dareus is 330 and could play nose.

Getting Brandon Williams would be awesome and even has pass rush ability.

If he checks out between the ears, ogletree is on the field in place of Barnett which is >90% of the plays. So that has some value, although in general I agree with you that the pass rusher is more important. I just think our team will place more value on ogletree because of our needs, right or wrong.

You raise a good point in favor of Ogletree and other LBs with the skills necessary to be 3-down defenders. I was comparing pass rushers more with run stuffers than true 3-down LBs.

The thing is, there are not many LBs in the NFL that are not considered liabilities in coverage.

Even the great Patrick Willis came under criticism last year for his coverage (which I think is great for a LB). But when it comes to having one linebacker in the game, they go to NaVarro Bowman because he's a superior cover LB.

True 3-down LBs are quite hard to find, thus the move towards hybrid LB/DBs like Bryan Scott.

I like Adrian Wilson in this kind of role.

Dareus is 330 and could play nose.

However Dareus was 319 at the combine.

A lot of people feel he'd be more effective slimming back down to increase his quickness as opposed to bulking up.

You raise a good point in favor of Ogletree and other LBs with the skills necessary to be 3-down defenders. I was comparing pass rushers more with run stuffers than true 3-down LBs.

The thing is, there are not many LBs in the NFL that are not considered liabilities in coverage.

Even the great Patrick Willis came under criticism last year for his coverage (which I think is great for a LB). But when it comes to having one linebacker in the game, they go to NaVarro Bowman because he's a superior cover LB.

True 3-down LBs are quite hard to find, thus the move towards hybrid LB/DBs like Bryan Scott.

I like Adrian Wilson in this kind of role.

However Dareus was 319 at the combine.

A lot of people feel he'd be more effective slimming back down to increase his quickness as opposed to bulking up.

Even he mentioned he will get slimmed down and get after it this year.

He is an attacking style player who will shed blocks better than hold them.

His biggest quality is you can mov him around from play to play.

he will be asset to Mike P.

Kyle is another attacking style tackle and might flourish under Pettine.

I would consider we have a line in place, and add one fat kid in the draft later rounds. And/ Or Troupe.

The key is the guys behind them. Linebackers and safeties.

One of you gentlemen mentioned we will have a much better idea of what Pettine is going tp run by the linebacker(s) he grabs in FA and drafting.

And Pete Best is not one them. Ringo maybe....

Edited by 3rdand12

We have never had Kyle & Marcel healthy and playing next to each other for any extended period of time. Or last year's big FA DEs either. All of these guys healthy will make a huge difference. Picking up some quality LBs would go a long way as well. I think the defense is much closer to being dominant than the offense at this point. I'd still like to see another good pass rusher....whether it's a DE or a LB, I don't know. And good three down LBs are there if you know where to look. Hopefully we can get a couple pieces to put the D in position to succeed.

When is the last time we saw a CB blitz or a safety? This is the beauty of this new coaching staff. There will be people rushing the passer that no one would expect. And we all ready know that the front four can bring it. I fully expect the Bills to have some serious sack numbers this year.

We have never had Kyle & Marcel healthy and playing next to each other for any extended period of time. Or last year's big FA DEs either. All of these guys healthy will make a huge difference. Picking up some quality LBs would go a long way as well. I think the defense is much closer to being dominant than the offense at this point. I'd still like to see another good pass rusher....whether it's a DE or a LB, I don't know. And good three down LBs are there if you know where to look. Hopefully we can get a couple pieces to put the D in position to succeed.

When is the last time we saw a CB blitz or a safety? This is the beauty of this new coaching staff. There will be people rushing the passer that no one would expect. And we all ready know that the front four can bring it. I fully expect the Bills to have some serious sack numbers this year.

Be careful. that sound like last preseason's chatter

ps I hear Tom Landry has one heck of a team in a tough division

Be careful. that sound like last preseason's chatter

ps I hear Tom Landry has one heck of a team in a tough division

It does sound a lot like last year, except now high priced 43 guys may be playing out of their ideal positions. We will see. The fan in me says get excited, my head says whoa there, slow yourself

The Bills absolutely need a big body at DT. The don't have a legitimate 1 or 0 technique player on their roster, IMO. Dareus is the closest but I think that even he is better playing as a penetrating DT. When Kyle Williams got hurt two years ago, Dareus moved to his position and played very well. The need is even more urgent if they are going to play any 3-4. I think that this is the biggest need on the DL. They have plenty of guys who can play DE: M Williams, Carrington, Johnson even Dareus (which is what he was drafted for).