Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

If we were to get a 1st and a 3rd or better I'd do it in a heartbeat. Do I want to lose Byrd? Absolutely not. But let's be honest. A long term deal for Byrd probably means signing him to a contract making him the highest paid Safety in the league. With a NEW young coach and a NEW defensive gameplan, I'd take what I can get for him instead of not being able to sign long term or lose him for nothing. It helps out future with young draft picks and it clears up a ton of cap room.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were to get a 1st and a 3rd or better I'd do it in a heartbeat. Do I want to lose Byrd? Absolutely not. But let's be honest. A long term deal for Byrd probably means signing him to a contract making him the highest paid Safety in the league. With a NEW young coach and a NEW defensive gameplan, I'd take what I can get for him instead of not being able to sign long term or lose him for nothing. It helps out future with young draft picks and it clears up a ton of cap room.

I'm guessing Buddy opens the bidding at....one hundred million dollars!!

A 1 and a 3 I would do. Let's face it, he's the best player, by far, on this defense right now. 2 second rounders with Nix/Whaley at the draft board would be a lowball offer and unacceptable.

If there was a deal to be made it'd have to be SF giving us their 1st pick31 and KC 2nd pick 34 allowing us to grab a QB in the bottom of the 1st round but while there are even more benefits (Aaron Williams gets to tryout for his best position FS and we save 6+mil against the cap) you have to consider that JB forces turnovers like crazy and to my way of thinking an int is as valuable as two sacks and a forced fumble is worth a sack and a half, so his five ints and four FFs is worth about 16 sacks, which is why he was the highest rated FA on many lists.

On one hand, folks get upset that there are no big name free agent signings. On the other, some get excited about trading away arguably one of the top 3 safeties in the NFL. Kinda crazy if you think about it.

No way in hell would I let go of Jarius, a proven great player just to take a chance on a draft pick or 2.

Highly doubt Pettine would ever buy into this.

jb

I think you should stop at "just one man's musings".

1) he speculates that the need for extra draft picks (thus a desire to trade Byrd) may explain why "the Bills haven't worked harder" to sign Byrd long-term. This makes no sense. A franchised player on a 1 year contract does not have a lot of trade value UNTIL he is signed long term. why would a team want to trade a 1st round pick for a guy on a 1 year contract?

2) he puts a lot of weight on the Bills hosting a projected 2nd round safety to a pre-draft visit as indicating Byrd is on the block - whilst ignoring the fact that the Bills released Wilson and thus have no one proven at the 2nd safety position

3) he contradicts himself - in the 1st paragraph he asks if the Bengals could resolve the safety issue without the need for a 1st round pick. In the 2nd paragraph, he points out that because Byrd is franchised, it would take at least one high choice to swing a deal. Then he proposes 2-2nd round picks by the Bengals (#5 and #23, not all that high) as the "high choice".

This is all about what this guy would like to see the Bengals do ("taking Byrd from the Bills), and not at all about what makes any sense for either team or based on any particular insight into the Bills organization.

None of us have any idea how hard the Bills are or are not working to sign Byrd. With other contracts, the Bills have shown a consistent pattern: they are focused on evaluating draft choices and snagging the occasional FA right now. After the draft, they will look harder at the remaining FA pool to fill remaining holes. If Byrd isn't signed long - term by training camp, then might be the time to speculate about trades, but 2 - 2nd round picks (one low) isn't enough

You don't sign him then hope the terms work for someone else. You let he and his agent go work a contract extension on the market and then you speak trade terms with that team if it gets serious.

How about this for rebuilding? Trade Byrd to Dallas for their 1st (#18) and 2nd (#43) rd picks in this year's draft and if CB Dee Milliner falls to us (which I think he will) then trade down with Tampa for their 1st (#18) and 2nd (#47) rd picks in this year's draft. If we could get either one of them to throw in a mid or conditional pick in next year's draft would be a bonus. I'd love for Buffalo to do both scenarios.

How about this for rebuilding? Trade Byrd to Dallas for their 1st (#18) and 2nd (#43) rd picks in this year's draft and if CB Dee Milliner falls to us (which I think he will) then trade down with Tampa for their 1st (#18) and 2nd (#47) rd picks in this year's draft. If we could get either one of them to throw in a mid or conditional pick in next year's draft would be a bonus. I'd love for Buffalo to do both scenarios.

I love Byrd but you are not getting a 1st and a 2nd for Byrd. It's not like he's Carson Palmer...

I love Byrd but you are not getting a 1st and a 2nd for Byrd. It's not like he's Carson Palmer...

Lol! That's pretty funny about Palmer. You don't think that Byrd isn't worth the second to last pick of the 1st rd and the second pick of the 2nd rd? I'll say this, if I'm wrong about Byrd's value to a team like San Francisco then it's not by much, a Safety like him has a very high ceiling to certain teams. Dallas is another team that would pay a premium like Byrd only I'm not sure about their salary cap room or I'd think that we could work something out with them.

Lol! That's pretty funny about Palmer. You don't think that Byrd isn't worth the second to last pick of the 1st rd and the second pick of the 2nd rd? I'll say this, if I'm wrong about Byrd's value to a team like San Francisco then it's not by much, a Safety like him has a very high ceiling to certain teams. Dallas is another team that would pay a premium like Byrd only I'm not sure about their salary cap room or I'd think that we could work something out with them.

I think that 2 2nds is a pretty fair offer. Look what teams historically get for players and its not much. Maybe SF trade but I don't think that the Dallas trade is realistic.

I think that 2 2nds is a pretty fair offer. Look what teams historically get for players and its not much. Maybe SF trade but I don't think that the Dallas trade is realistic.

Who was the last vet player to fetch a 1 AND a 2 AND a fresh contract, that wasnt a qb?

Who was the last vet player to fetch a 1 AND a 2 AND a fresh contract, that wasnt a qb?

That's more than they will get for Revis. I realize that he is coming off an injury but still. I don't see any team doing that. SF is interesting as they have 13 picks (I think) and very few needs. I expect them to be really active during the draft.

It doesn't sound unreasonable. I am a big fan of Byrd; I think that he is probably the best player on the team (along with Spiller). If the Bills do not have plans of signing him long-term they could wind up with a 1st and 3 2nds. This would open some cap space as well. I am not in favor of it but there are worse ideas.

That's pretty rational. If you're going to lose an asset why not try to extract some value before you lose it for nothing.

It all depends on whether he is willing to extend his contract. If he wants to play for a contender and is fed up with Buffalo, get some value. If he is willing to stay we would be stupid to not keep him

If Byrd entered the draft this year he would be a top 5 or 10 pick. The bills would have to get that value in return. Easily a 1st and 2nd. How often to teams ever get a chance at a top player like Byrd off their first contract. Almost never.

I would take the 2 number 2's and move a Williams to free safety.

It all depends on whether he is willing to extend his contract. If he wants to play for a contender and is fed up with Buffalo, get some value. If he is willing to stay we would be stupid to not keep him

If Byrd entered the draft this year he would be a top 5 or 10 pick. The bills would have to get that value in return. Easily a 1st and 2nd. How often to teams ever get a chance at a top player like Byrd off their first contract. Almost never.

You are forgetting he has 4 years on his body and makes 6 million. He is a very good player but 2 twos seems like a fair trade