Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

No. Let me think about that...no.

The Bills put the tag on with such speed that I have to assume they want a little more than simply trading him away for...two second round picks? Really? They think that a two time Pro Bowl player is worth two second round picks? I wouldn't do it for a 1st and third either, I'd say at least two first round picks.

Also, as pointed out before, the Bills have a BIG hole at safety already. Whether or not Seacry is ready to take over is a big question mark. To me, this would be like saying "Yeah, I know that we let go most of the receiving corps...I think we should trade Stevie Johnson."

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd is going to command a huge salary as one of the top young safeties in the game. It's tough enough to sign a safety to a 30-40m contract, and it's almost impossible for me to believe a team is going to give up a 1 and a 3 AND pay 30-40m. And of course, no team is going to make that trade without Byrd agreeing to a new deal, and Byrd isn't going to agree to a new deal unless it pays him in the top1-3 safeties in the league.

No. Let me think about that...no.

The Bills put the tag on with such speed that I have to assume they want a little more than simply trading him away for...two second round picks? Really? They think that a two time Pro Bowl player is worth two second round picks? I wouldn't do it for a 1st and third either, I'd say at least two first round picks.

Also, as pointed out before, the Bills have a BIG hole at safety already. Whether or not Seacry is ready to take over is a big question mark. To me, this would be like saying "Yeah, I know that we let go most of the receiving corps...I think we should trade Stevie Johnson."

I don't think the speed means anything. They had months to make a choice that had to be executed in a short window. The decision wasnt changing if they waited a day or two.

And you always have to look at the chance that he doesn't want to be here. At that point you aren't trading to get the value of byrds next 5 years you are trading to surpass the value of 16 games of his. The value he brings to the 2013 season isn't that great.

It's time for the front office to decide if they think they can lock him up, or maximize returns. How would you feel if he walks next march?

Before the new 'head down' rule for rb, I'd have said Byrd would be way overpaid to get a $8-9m contract/ yr. I say that because Byrd is not as impactful as Reed & Polomalu were at the same career stage. With the new head down rule, that would be an advantage for Byrd... or so it would seem, depending on the type of defense he's in. I still dont't think Byrd is the Best fit for the Bills new aggressive and physical defense. Byrd's best years were in a 4-3 and, in particular the cover 2. Which brings to mind Dallas. If Dallas has room under the cap for Byrd, giving up a first round pick might make sense for them. But, then again, couldn't they make out just as well by selecting a top safety in the middle of rd. 1 and saving a lot of money? Vaccaro aint worth the #8, but might be worth it from 13 on.

In the end though, I just don't see the Bills signing Byrd to a big contract. I think he plays out this year for the Bills and signs somewhere else next year... and it's hard to imagine a team that one send a #1 to the Bills and have to sign Byrd for big money.

I think you should stop at "just one man's musings".

1) he speculates that the need for extra draft picks (thus a desire to trade Byrd) may explain why "the Bills haven't worked harder" to sign Byrd long-term. This makes no sense. A franchised player on a 1 year contract does not have a lot of trade value UNTIL he is signed long term. why would a team want to trade a 1st round pick for a guy on a 1 year contract?

2) he puts a lot of weight on the Bills hosting a projected 2nd round safety to a pre-draft visit as indicating Byrd is on the block - whilst ignoring the fact that the Bills released Wilson and thus have no one proven at the 2nd safety position

3) he contradicts himself - in the 1st paragraph he asks if the Bengals could resolve the safety issue without the need for a 1st round pick. In the 2nd paragraph, he points out that because Byrd is franchised, it would take at least one high choice to swing a deal. Then he proposes 2-2nd round picks by the Bengals (#5 and #23, not all that high) as the "high choice".

This is all about what this guy would like to see the Bengals do ("taking Byrd from the Bills), and not at all about what makes any sense for either team or based on any particular insight into the Bills organization.

None of us have any idea how hard the Bills are or are not working to sign Byrd. With other contracts, the Bills have shown a consistent pattern: they are focused on evaluating draft choices and snagging the occasional FA right now. After the draft, they will look harder at the remaining FA pool to fill remaining holes. If Byrd isn't signed long - term by training camp, then might be the time to speculate about trades, but 2 - 2nd round picks (one low) isn't enough

Edited by Hopeful

The Bills put the tag on with such speed that I have to assume they want a little more than simply trading him away for...two second round picks?

Bear with me because I'm doing this from an IPhone and all by memory but if my memory serves me correctly the Bills didn't tag Byrd all that quickly. If I'm correct than I have a theory for that that I'll explain later. I do agree wholeheartedly that the Bills are not just going to give him away, Byrd is by no means distressed merchandise unlike Marshawn Lynch.

No team is trading a 1st and 3rd for Byrd

I respectfully disagree with this.

I'm glad that this article came out because I think that there is something to it. I don't believe in the way the writer pitched it but when Buffalo contemplated tagging Byrd it raised my eyebrows a bit but when they tagged him with a non exclusive tag it sent a huge red flag to ME. It indicated to ME that Byrd could be had for the right price. When it happened the team that struck me as a potential trade partner was the 49'ers. They have a boat load of picks and their secondary had great need, especially at the S position. The picks that they hold interest me the most is the #31 and #34 picks but as the draft nears I'm not so sure if this is still a possibility but I guess time will tell on this one.

If the above scenario or the linked article doesn't materialize then they ate set gave me pause to think and reflect on what other team(s) would be a trade possibility and that is when Dallas comes to mind. They have a dire need at the S position and in addition the OL. I don't know what Jerry Jones is thinking or what he will do but then again I don't think that anyone else does either. I do know that they hold the #18 (1st rd), #47 (2nd rd) and the #80 (3rd rd) picks in the draft. Would the #18 and #47 picks be fair compensation for Byrd? I think so or it least it would be close. I wouldn't take less but maybe a conditional 5th rd pick in next year's draft could be squeezed out of Old Jerrah. Keep in mind that this is the same ego maniac that paid thru the nose a few years back for WR Roy Williams. When Jerry Jones wants something or someone he's willing to pay. In conclusion I think that Dallas could make an excellent trade partner for us and would (hopefully) pay accordingly for Byrd. Just MHO.

1) he speculates that the need for extra draft picks (thus a desire to trade Byrd) may explain why "the Bills haven't worked harder" to sign Byrd long-term. This makes no sense. A franchised player on a 1 year contract does not have a lot of trade value UNTIL he is signed long term. why would a team want to trade a 1st round pick for a guy on a 1 year contract?

That's not really true. Any team that wanted to trade anything of any serious worth for Byrd, and the Bills liked the offer, the Bills would allow the agent for Byrd to negotiate with that team on a long term deal behind the scenes. If a deal could be struck, they would then make the trade. You're right that no team is going to make the trade without knowing he will be signing with them, but that can be worked out before the trade is made.

He also has no idea, and we don't either, how hard the Bills are trying to re-sign Byrd. I'm sure we have started it, we just don't know how serious the negotiations would be or how far apart they are now. We could always franchise him again next year I think.

That's not really true. Any team that wanted to trade anything of any serious worth for Byrd, and the Bills liked the offer, the Bills would allow the agent for Byrd to negotiate with that team on a long term deal behind the scenes. If a deal could be struck, they would then make the trade. You're right that no team is going to make the trade without knowing he will be signing with them, but that can be worked out before the trade is made.

He also has no idea, and we don't either, how hard the Bills are trying to re-sign Byrd. I'm sure we have started it, we just don't know how serious the negotiations would be or how far apart they are now. We could always franchise him again next year I think.

Correct. IIRC the cost would be a minimum of 120% of this year's salary.

With Buffalo in full "re-build mode" it makes perfect sense to consider signing and trading someone like Byrd, who is an excellent player, but will command a salary of at least $6.8M-$7.5M per season. Should the Bills really pay one player like that with so many needs elsewhere?? I don't think we should look to get rid of him by any means, but if the offer is right I would certainly consider it. SF needs to fill the starting safety position that they lost recently so you can bet that they would be interested and have a lot of picks/players to offer. How about two R2 picks plus ILB N. Bowman?? Bowman is one of the very best ILBs in the league. We fill the critical starting ILB spot, use a R2 pick on a safety, and use the other R2 pick to draft QB M. Barkley. So essentially, we get Bowman/Barkley/a starting S for Byrd and his big contract. The Bills would be stupid NOT to do it.

Byrd is going to command a huge salary as one of the top young safeties in the game. It's tough enough to sign a safety to a 30-40m contract, and it's almost impossible for me to believe a team is going to give up a 1 and a 3 AND pay 30-40m. And of course, no team is going to make that trade without Byrd agreeing to a new deal, and Byrd isn't going to agree to a new deal unless it pays him in the top1-3 safeties in the league.

Safeties don't make huge salaries even if they are the highest paid in the league. Thatis why he got tagged and not Levitre. Pay him the money. The team is millions under the cap with no franchise QB eating up huge dollars. Even if they find a QB in the draft, Byrd's deal will be mostly over by the time the QB's rookie deal will need to be redone.

Safeties don't make huge salaries even if they are the highest paid in the league. Thatis why he got tagged and not Levitre. Pay him the money. The team is millions under the cap with no franchise QB eating up huge dollars. Even if they find a QB in the draft, Byrd's deal will be mostly over by the time the QB's rookie deal will need to be redone.

The top ones do. He is going to demand, and likely get, between 8-9m. Probably closer to eight. I would be very surprised if Byrd signs anywhere for less than 5 years - 40 million.

But I do think we should pay him the money and re-sign him, even for that. Safeties are becoming more important, and Byrd is good against the run and the pass.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

No team is trading a 1st and 3rd for Byrd for any position other than QB.

Fixed.

IMO, the return on an investment of draft choices that high just doesn't make financial/salary cap sense, given (1) the rational prices rookie contracts are commanding under the new CBA and (2) the irrational/inflated contracts that premium free agents (like Bryd) are getting. The safety position is important, but no team is going to mortgage that much of its future for it...

There you go! Pretty much said it all right there... :thumbsup: