Roger Goodells biggest fear is not the Bills leaving Buffalo...

It'll happen some day. And people will be up in arms, wrongfully. It's dangerous work, but people die at any job where there's physical labor involved. Hell, even delivering pizzas has a pretty high mortality rate.

Kevin Everett was probably the closest right?

Closest being a bit hard to define, he certainly wasnt far.

Haven't read up on he and his wife's blog lately - night have to check in soon. Always uplifting.

It'll happen some day. And people will be up in arms, wrongfully. It's dangerous work, but people die at any job where there's physical labor involved. Hell, even delivering pizzas has a pretty high mortality rate.

Kevin Everett was probably the closest right?

Not to diminish what happened to Everett, but Reggie Brown of the Lions suffered a pretty severe injury on the field, back in the late 90's...they had to administer CPR on him. Apparently, too, Drew Bledsoes' injury against the Jets was fairly serious too...and then there was Chuck Hughes who died, on the field, in the early 70's. He died of a heart attack. His number was retired by the Lions...

I also seem to remember a guy (maybe played for the Redskins) in the 70's who died of a heart attack right after a game, in the locker room...IIRC he returned a kick for a TD in the final minutes of the game...and then just 2 or 3 years ago, a 49ers linemen (can't remember his name..James Herrion maybe?) died in the locker room after a pre-season game against the Broncos. Seems like the size of some of theses guys is as big a threat to their lives as nasty hits.

BUFTEX, I remember when Hughes died. While they 'officially' ruled it a heart attack, he was crushed by Butkus as he went up for a pass. I always believed it was the hit, regardless of the 'official' Coroner's report. JMO.

You are probably right...I don't remember it at all (I think it was like 1971 or 72..I was only 6), I only remember it being referred to a few times during Bills/Lions games...but I am sure the NFL was just as consciousous of brutal hits back then too.

Yeah, those pussies. Get out there and die like a man for the sake of entertainment!

"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained?! Is it not why you are here?"

-Maximus Decimus Meridius

My uncle got thrown up on at the Malarchuk game... before the incident.

Or Chris Pronger. He was hit in the chest with a slapshot and the trainer said when he got there that his heart wasn't beating....even though it restarted quickly.

http://articles.lati...sports/sp-48660

I remember that. Being only 7 at the time, it scared the crap out of me. I didn't watch hockey for a while after that.