Couple funny lines from an otherwise brutally bad SNL

That sentence makes no sense. Its no wonder Big Cat agrees. In fact, no part of your reply has any bearing on my opinion. More marketing channels has changed how I perceive humor?

I didn't say humor was mutually exclusive. That's ridiculous. Humor is comparative, though. Especially when one cast consisted of funny individuals and the current cast does not. Samberg doesn't belong in the same sentence with Akroyd. Take a look at their body of work.

There is no nostalgia at play here. I'm the same age as Big Cat, and wasn't alive for the original cast. I have seen their best of many, many times and theres nothing from this current cast that compares.

Except you're measuring "funny individuals" by their "body of work," which is precisely what Poojer rightly refuted--how can you compare comedy players when the comedy game is COMPLETELY different now?

You also said the current cast is lousy because their work isn't as good as "best ofs" from long ago. On what planet is that a fair comparison?

Just because Samberg isn't Ackroyd doesn't mean he isn't funny. And by the way--which selections from Ackroyd's celebrated cannon are basing this on, anyways? Because for every "great" movie he's made, and yes, that list is very very short, he's made about a dozen stinkers.

And yes, I'm including Blues Brothers among said stinkers.

Old school episodes, do not hold up? Well, everyone has an opinion.

What sucks with SNL is the terrible hosts of late. Justin Beiber? Really, isn't his "target" audience in bed by 11:30?

Ditto with Li-Lo, and others. The dude last Saturday was bad by anyone's tastes in any demographic. 2 Skits and the news

were passable. Neither of the funny skits had the host in them.

But some of the old-time cast members still there, like Bill Hader, Kevin Thompson, and a few of the females are

as good as they get in any era. Bill Hader himself has held SNL together thru some very lean times.

Lorne Michael's should consider retiring with his huge bank account. Want a great SNL Lorne? Show Chris Rock a blank check and let him fill in the zeroes, and then their will be a SNL with some laughs for 90 minutes instead of 10.

A couple things:

Completely agree that the guests have been LOUSY. In fact, every once in a while, they'll have a run of actual, seasoned actors, and--shockingly--the episodes are decent. Then they get some teenie bopper nobody over 20 has ever heard of or some pop star (Beiber/Bruno Mars/Adam Levine), and it's three-steps-back.

Secondly:

Chris Rock: excellent standup comedian, one of the greats, one of the best of all time. But as a writer/actor...eeeeeesh...his credits leave much to be desired.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruno Mars as much as he's not my cup of tea is very talented and entertaining...adam levine found out he can reach more of an audience with watered down crap...when he's on Howard Stern its almost a completely different person...beiber...well...my mom always said, if you don't have something nice to say about someone....

Except you're measuring "funny individuals" by their "body of work," which is precisely what Poojer rightly refuted--how can you compare comedy players when the comedy game is COMPLETELY different now?

You also said the current cast is lousy because their work isn't as good as "best ofs" from long ago. On what planet is that a fair comparison?

Just because Samberg isn't Ackroyd doesn't mean he isn't funny. And by the way--which selections from Ackroyd's celebrated cannon are basing this on, anyways? Because for every "great" movie he's made, and yes, that list is very very short, he's made about a dozen stinkers.

A couple things:

Completely agree that the guests have been LOUSY. In fact, every once in a while, they'll have a run of actual, seasoned actors, and--shockingly--the episodes are decent. Then they get some teenie bopper nobody over 20 has ever heard of or some pop star (Beiber/Bruno Mars/Adam Levine), and it's three-steps-back.

Secondly:

Chris Rock: excellent standup comedian, one of the greats, one of the best of all time. But as a writer/actor...eeeeeesh...his credits leave much to be desired.

A quick trip to your profile page shows me that you outgrew their target demo 12-19 years ago.

Yeah, I don't need mommy & daddys permission to stay up late on non school nights anymore...........

Disagree strongly..........this episode was terrible for sure, however SNL over the past 2-3 years has had a mini-renaissance IMO. Kristen Wiig, Seth Meyers, Jason Sudeikis(sp), Fred Armisen, Keenan, Samberg have been churning out some funny skits/songs lately.

Mini renaissance? Not a chance.

Wiig is horrible, Sudeikis is alright at times (mostly in his movies where he usually plays a very similar character "Older guy trying to be a ladys man and get laid"), same with Samburg. Seth Myers is good on Weekend update (probably the only thing worth watching on the show anymore) and Armisen and Keenan are mediocre.

Comedy is completely different? Please expand on that idea. In what ways has comedy changed? Are things now funny that weren't funny before or vice versa? Or do you simply have no idea what you're talking about?

The current cast is lousy of their own accord. You were the one claiming they're as good or better than the original.

If you were to watch it now, in a vacuum, you'd be PRAYING for today's writing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats a @#$^ing comparison. So you begin with a comparison then claim the two aren't comparable. Same old Big Cat. Doesn't remember what he said 5 minutes ago, no idea how he got here.

You've already demonstrated that you're out of your element, no need to drag Blues Brothers into the conversation. What great movies has Samberg made again? A few is greater than zero last time I checked. Please say Hot Rod.

Edited by Jauronimo

Comedy is completely different? Please expand on that idea. In what ways has comedy changed? Are things now funny that weren't funny before or vice versa? Or do you simply have no idea what you're talking about?

The current cast is lousy of their own accord. You were the one claiming they're as good or better than the original.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats a @#$^ing comparison. So you begin with a comparison then claim the two aren't comparable. Same old Big Cat. Doesn't remember what he said 5 minutes ago, no idea how he got here.

You've already demonstrated that you're out of your element, no need to drag Blues Brothers into the conversation. What great movies has Samberg made again? A few is greater than zero last time I checked. Please say Hot Rod.

Are you a !@#$ing troll, or are you just this !@#$ing stupid? :huh:

:thumbsup: Portlandia

Hart's SNL episode was not memorable but really enjoyed being turned onto Alabama Shakes during the prior one :worthy:

Yeah, the wife was really into the Alabama Shakes. Me? A little freaked out by the lead singer and her giganto-mouth. :o

Seriously, though, they rocked, nicely.

If I'm an idiot and a troll, then you should have no problem answering my questions and supporting your claims. Try not to contradict yourself.

Well, since you're on a one way train to my ignore list, I'll indulge you this one last time:

Comedy is completely different? Yes, commercial comedy--what we're !@#$ing talking about--is completely different, and to Poojer's point, delivery modalities are so diverse and numerous, the game (my word) is completely different as well. Humors have evolved, "taboos" have evolved...oh !@#$ it, if you think jokes and comedy are the same now as they were 40 years ago, there's no !@#$ing hope.

Please expand on that idea. In what ways has comedy changed? Would you like me to explain how every other facet of culture/technology/lifestyle has evolved in the last 40 years also?

Are things now funny that weren't funny before or vice versa? Yes, you're being a troll if you want to argue to the counter.

Or do you simply have no idea what you're talking about? I actually do know what I'm talking about, and have neither the inclination nor the obligation to substantiate that to you. Call me a liar, I don't give a !@#$.

Yes, I compared the early shows to the current shows--based, actually on writing, not cast, but it's really all the same. YOU--and I don't know what I have to explain this to you--said the early days were better because (and I"m copying/pasting here) "I have seen their best of many, many times and theres nothing from this current cast that compares." In other words, the Bills suck because they could never beat the All-90's teams you've watched on NFL Films.

You see how your comparison makes no !@#$ing sense? No? That's why we're done here. It's been real, homey. Buh bye.

Well, since you're on a one way train to my ignore list, I'll indulge you this one last time:

Comedy is completely different? Yes, commercial comedy--what we're !@#$ing talking about--is completely different, and to Poojer's point, delivery modalities are so diverse and numerous, the game (my word) is completely different as well. Humors have evolved, "taboos" have evolved...oh !@#$ it, if you think jokes and comedy are the same now as they were 40 years ago, there's no !@#$ing hope.

Please expand on that idea. In what ways has comedy changed? Would you like me to explain how every other facet of culture/technology/lifestyle has evolved in the last 40 years also?

Are things now funny that weren't funny before or vice versa? Yes, you're being a troll if you want to argue to the counter.

Or do you simply have no idea what you're talking about? I actually do know what I'm talking about, and have neither the inclination nor the obligation to substantiate that to you. Call me a liar, I don't give a !@#$.

Yes, I compared the early shows to the current shows--based, actually on writing, not cast, but it's really all the same. YOU--and I don't know what I have to explain this to you--said the early days were better because (and I"m copying/pasting here) "I have seen their best of many, many times and theres nothing from this current cast that compares." In other words, the Bills suck because they could never beat the All-90's teams you've watched on NFL Films.

You see how your comparison makes no !@#$ing sense? No? That's why we're done here. It's been real, homey. Buh bye.

You couldn't even identify one specific way in which the art of comedy has changed, just as I thought. You continue to cite changes in media and broadcasting, as if the medium has effectively changed what is funny or why we laugh. Thats a tremendous point, especially since we're discussing SNL, which has gone virtually unchanged in format. Apparently, there weren't taboos 40 years ago. Who knew? Topical humor has been updated, but has topical humor fundamentally changed? Does the transition from Watergate jokes to Lewinsky jokes, or AIDS jokes to Swine flu constitute a new form of comedy, or is it the same s@#$ for a new day? Why we laugh, the basic construct of jokes and the literal tools available to comedic writers is the same now as it was 30 years ago.

Way to move the goal posts at the end. The current cast of SNL sucks because they suck. Again, you introduced the original cast to the discussion and made a direct comparison. Using your example, the point you were supposed to come away with is "The 90s Bills are better than the current Bills, because they would beat the current Bills 99 out of 100 times." That should have been pretty obvious.

If you can't discuss a topic intelligently and maturely, feel free to ignore me. I expect nothing less from you.

Edited by Jauronimo

• SNL has sucked since Eddie Murphy left.
  • No cast has ever come even remotely close to Chase, Aykroyd, Morris, Newman, Radner, Belushi, etc.
  • Bruno Mars got schooled by Sting on the Grammys.
  • The Blues Brothers was one of the best and funniest movies of all time.
  • Alabama Shakes are incredible. My uncle turned me onto them by sharing a youtube video of them covering, "How Many More Times." I hate when people cover Led Zeppelin, but Alabama Shakes completely nailed that one.
  • Someone please tell Jauronimo that I'm ignoring him.

Oh no you didn't.....

;-)

Honestly, Hart's real hit or miss for me. But some people sound like grumpy old guys who talk about how great Babe Ruth was. Things change and there's some good and bad comedians. Personally, I think a movie like Caddyshack is corny as hell but I can respect that some people find it hilarious. Different tastes.

Honestly, Hart's real hit or miss for me. But some people sound like grumpy old guys who talk about how great Babe Ruth was. Things change and there's some good and bad comedians. Personally, I think a movie like Caddyshack is corny as hell but I can respect that some people find it hilarious. Different tastes.

You forgot fat and bald, man!!!

And what about Fletch? Come on. That was hilarious.