Couple funny lines from an otherwise brutally bad SNL

I had hoped Kevin Hart hosting would have made the show funnier, but alas it was not to be.

But the opening sketch, of their Obama impersonator bringing in people to explain various effects of cutbacks, did yield a couple of funny lines:

TSA Inspector: "Due to the cutbacks we're requesting that all passengers just take a photo down the front of their pants and text that to us"

Border Patrol: "We're just going to let every 10th Mexican run across the border"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had hoped Kevin Hart hosting would have made the show funnier, but alas it was not to be.

I know I'm not up on the current pop culture, but who?

Did Steve Martin, Chris Walkin and John Goodman retire from hosting?

But the opening sketch, of their Obama impersonator bringing in people to explain various effects of cutbacks, did yield a couple of funny lines:

TSA Inspector: "Due to the cutbacks we're requesting that all passengers just take a photo down the front of their pants and text that to us"

Border Patrol: "We're just going to let every 10th Mexican run across the border"

I agree..I kept doing a 30 second skip on his monologue it was so bad.

Having said that, I do like his current show on BET, He and JB Smoove are very funny on that.

Stand-up comic & actor

Could have fooled me............

At first I thought he was Chris Tucker

That opening Monologue completly turned me off from wanting to watch anymore (its not hard to do know because the show is usually terrible anyways), the storey about the homeless guy and the sandwhich seemed like just rambling and left me constantly waiting for a punchline somewhere

They seriously need to put that show out of its misery and cancel it already, its running on less then fumes right now.........

That opening Monologue completly turned me off from wanting to watch anymore (its not hard to do know because the show is usually terrible anyways), the storey about the homeless guy and the sandwhich seemed like just rambling and left me constantly waiting for a punchline somewhere

They seriously need to put that show out of its misery and cancel it already, its running on less then fumes right now.........

A quick trip to your profile page shows me that you outgrew their target demo 12-19 years ago.

Disagree strongly..........this episode was terrible for sure, however SNL over the past 2-3 years has had a mini-renaissance IMO. Kristen Wiig, Seth Meyers, Jason Sudeikis(sp), Fred Armisen, Keenan, Samberg have been churning out some funny skits/songs lately.

you are correct, they have been doing a great job for the past couple of years. not everything is going to be a home run, but there have been a lot more really funny moments than busts. but you have to keep in mind a lot of people here haven't given credence to any form of entertainment since the invention of that danged color tv

Disagree strongly..........this episode was terrible for sure, however SNL over the past 2-3 years has had a mini-renaissance IMO. Kristen Wiig, Seth Meyers, Jason Sudeikis(sp), Fred Armisen, Keenan, Samberg have been churning out some funny skits/songs lately.

Also, everyone who says "it sucks now" ---I got news for ya --- the Old School episodes, with Chevy, Belushi, et al, that **** does NOT hold up. If you were to watch it now, in a vacuum, you'd be PRAYING for today's writing.

Sketch comedy by nature is more miss than hit, but comparing the current SNL cast and current writing to the days of Chevy, Belushi, Murray and Akroyd is absurd. Who from this current crop is worth a damn? What have they done that will be remembered a year from now, let alone 30 years from now?

Edited by Jauronimo

I've seen some funny stuff lately, but this week wasn't it. I enjoyed their parody of the Super Bowl power outage, for example. The current Weekend Update guy is quite good. Usually after that it becomes unwatchable. It got there much sooner this week.

Sketch comedy by nature is more miss than hit, but comparing the current SNL cast and current writing to the days of Chevy, Belushi, Murray and Akroyd is absurd. Who from this current crop is worth a damn? What have they done that will be remembered a year from now, let alone 30 years from now?

Why is it absurd? Go back and watch the first few seasons, it borders on painful.

And the longevity of the current crew has no bearing on its quality, by comparison.

Also an absurd comparison...so many more avenues to display your goods these days as compared to the mid 70's...who's funny today doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive argument from who was funny 30 years ago...Andy samberg is every bit as funny as Dan ackroyd(I will put Belushi on a separate level)...only difference is in how we perceive what is funny...

Also an absurd comparison...so many more avenues to display your goods these days as compared to the mid 70's...who's funny today doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive argument from who was funny 30 years ago...Andy samberg is every bit as funny as Dan ackroyd(I will put Belushi on a separate level)...only difference is in how we perceive what is funny...

Precisely.

Precisely.

That sentence makes no sense. Its no wonder Big Cat agrees. In fact, no part of your reply has any bearing on my opinion. More marketing channels has changed how I perceive humor?

I didn't say humor was mutually exclusive. That's ridiculous. Humor is comparative, though. Especially when one cast consisted of funny individuals and the current cast does not. Samberg doesn't belong in the same sentence with Akroyd. Take a look at their body of work.

There is no nostalgia at play here. I'm the same age as Big Cat, and wasn't alive for the original cast. I have seen their best of many, many times and theres nothing from this current cast that compares.

Old school episodes, do not hold up? Well, everyone has an opinion.

What sucks with SNL is the terrible hosts of late. Justin Beiber? Really, isn't his "target" audience in bed by 11:30?

Ditto with Li-Lo, and others. The dude last Saturday was bad by anyone's tastes in any demographic. 2 Skits and the news

were passable. Neither of the funny skits had the host in them.

But some of the old-time cast members still there, like Bill Hader, Kevin Thompson, and a few of the females are

as good as they get in any era. Bill Hader himself has held SNL together thru some very lean times.

Lorne Michael's should consider retiring with his huge bank account. Want a great SNL Lorne? Show Chris Rock a blank check and let him fill in the zeroes, and then their will be a SNL with some laughs for 90 minutes instead of 10.