Medical History: First 'Functional Cure' of HIV

You can't "cure" it. The virus inserts in your DNA and is there forever. They said that there are a"almost no viruses detected."

They cured one guy with a bone marrow transplant (he received it for leukemia, they gave him marrow from a donor with the gene for HIV resistance, so as new T-cells were created they wouldn't be infected).

This case...I'm very curious how they definitively test a baby at 30 hours old. Without knowing the initial tests or their accuracy (and it's not like they're doing an antibody test on a newborn), it's hard not to suggest they might have had a false positive.

They cured one guy with a bone marrow transplant (he received it for leukemia, they gave him marrow from a donor with the gene for HIV resistance, so as new T-cells were created they wouldn't be infected).

This case...I'm very curious how they definitively test a baby at 30 hours old. Without knowing the initial tests or their accuracy (and it's not like they're doing an antibody test on a newborn), it's hard not to suggest they might have had a false positive.

Until I'm proven wrong, I place this squarely with the "discovery" of cold fusion 30 years ago

Living with, not cured

That is splitting heirs. Magic has lived for like 25 years with it. How long does he have to live with it before he is cured? 100 years? That's a joke. It is great that he is still around. 25 years sure seems like a cure.

That is splitting heirs. Magic has lived for like 25 years with it. How long does he have to live with it before he is cured? 100 years? That's a joke. It is great that he is still around. 25 years sure seems like a cure.

Big difference between cure and treatment. Big ($$$$$$$) difference.

People live 50 years with diabetes by taking insulin. Thats not a "cure".