Thurman Thomas was right...

I understand, and I'm normally the first to trot out the stats for how devastating 380 carries is for a back..... But 300 hardly has the backing or effect that getting close to 400 does.

Ladanian had 300 touches 8 straight years, as did eddie George, Shaun Alexander 5 straight (with 750 touches) in his final two productive, Curtis Martin had 10 straight years of 300 touches. Guys just a decade ago lived off 300 carries. Corey dillon was always right around there. You really see guys fall apart in that 370-380+ range (Alexander, Davis, Anderson, Johnson.... Turner a few years ago).

Not so sure about that. I think you may be over-generalizing here. Your assumptions are based on an "all things being equal" physiological aspect of it. It is very possible that one person's body reacts differently to the same sort of external conditions than another person. Also, I would argue that the typical carry from Ladanian is quite different than the "dish the punishment" carry from Turner.

I would think that Turners style of running, the number of carries he had and his physiological makeup all contributed to his drop off

Not so sure about that. I think you may be over-generalizing here. Your assumptions are based on an "all things being equal" physiological aspect of it. It is very possible that one person's body reacts differently to the same sort of external conditions than another person. Also, I would argue that the typical carry from Ladanian is quite different than the "dish the punishment" carry from Turner.

I would think that Turners style of running, the number of carries he had and his physiological makeup all contributed to his drop off

Of course, but the guys I listed had several hundred more touches, if not thousands.

Every body is different, every hit is different, but it doesn't mean it always has to be a complicated conversation. He's a 31 year old back, he's had issues taking care of his body in the offseason before (more than once overweight coming into the season, including accusations this year), and he takes a lot of big hits.

He beats his body, he doesn't take elite care of it, and he's old. Simple equation that doesn't have much to do with his carry count.

I'm not sure what the OP and Thurman both thought they were going to be able to save turner for if they gave him 250 carries instead of 301. If anything with regards to carries, the damage was likely done back when he had nearly 400 touches, and was on the scrap heap the following season. Once that happened, it sounds awful, but its time to run him til the wheels fall off and get somebody new.

Edited by NoSaint

I would recommend spending a few dollars more. Tires can often last over 50,000 miles. :rolleyes:

depending on how you drive..

I get 15k maybe, out of the fronts on my Mazdaspeed 3 and thats down to no tread regardless of tire.

Dont drive it alot but when i do i drive the snot out of it

From Turner's perspective (and Thurman's as a former RB), for the sake of the longevity of his career and future earning ability, it obviously would've been in his best interest to not be worked so hard.

But from Atlanta's perspective, there's no reason not to get as much as they can out of Turner while they can and then cut him when they've used up all his quality carries. That's the sad reality for most running backs in the NFL today.

Edited by earthtobrint

Of course, but the guys I listed had several hundred more touches, if not thousands.

Every body is different, every hit is different, but it doesn't mean it always has to be a complicated conversation. He's a 31 year old back, he's had issues taking care of his body in the offseason before (more than once overweight coming into the season, including accusations this year), and he takes a lot of big hits.

He beats his body, he doesn't take elite care of it, and he's old. Simple equation that doesn't have much to do with his carry count.

I'm not sure what the OP and Thurman both thought they were going to be able to save turner for if they gave him 250 carries instead of 301. If anything with regards to carries, the damage was likely done back when he had nearly 400 touches, and was on the scrap heap the following season. Once that happened, it sounds awful, but its time to run him til the wheels fall off and get somebody new.

NoSaint, i remembered reading this article in the ACJ in 2011 & reading the reader comments lambasting Thurman for his accurate assessment of Turner. Lots of Atlanta trolls calling Thomas a bum.

When I saw Turner was released I felt the need to remind Atlanta fans Thurman was right & they were wrong.

Edited by BigCountryBills