Performance Based Value - Byrd #1, Bills cut 3 others in their Top10

Very interesting breakdown by the people at pro Football Focus. Bills not as bad as you might think, based on the W-L record. Byrd #1, Levitre #3. Barnett, Scott and Wilson were all good returns on investment. Mario, Kelsey and Fitz worst of the Undervalued players.

https://www.profootb...-buffalo-bills/

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Very interesting breakdown by the people at pro Football Focus. Bills not as bad as you might think, based on the W-L record. Byrd #1, Levitre #3. Barnett, Scott and Wilson were all good returns on investment. Mario, Kelsey and Fitz worst of the Undervalued players.

https://www.profootb...-buffalo-bills/

Mmmm. According to my eyeball test, George Wilson had a bad year in 2012 after a strong year in 2011. Ditto Barnett, who may have been playing horridly out of position trying to cover in space, or who may have just lost it. Bryan Scott "43 is the Mike!" 'nuff said.

So if those are the guys this site tags as our "overvalued players" either the site is bogus, or Lord help us. The bit about Shawne Merriman's salary doesn't add confidence.

Edited by Hopeful

Thanks for posting.

As I've always said, unless the sabermetricians are former scouts AND have access to the "All-22" video (which only became available last year), their statistical findings are pretty suspect.

Just this past week at MIT, one of the speakers reiterated this point using "Offensive Linemen Sacks Allowed" as an example.

Paraphrasing the speaker (Pioli?) "without knowing the playbook assigments and adjustments, an outsider cannot always determine which player is at fault for a QB sack."

Thanks for posting.

As I've always said, unless the sabermetricians are former scouts AND have access to the "All-22" video (which only became available last year), their statistical findings are pretty suspect.

Just this past week at MIT, one of the speakers reiterated this point using "Offensive Linemen Sacks Allowed" as an example.

Paraphrasing the speaker (Pioli?) "without knowing the playbook assigments and adjustments, an outsider cannot always determine which player is at fault for a QB sack."

I just naturally assume that, whenever a sack is allowed, it was Jason Peters' fault :beer:

So much harder for the average fan to evaluate players as we do not know the play called, the assignment, and the adjustment. Fitz game ending INT against Pats was the most obvious example this past year. I think it was pretty clear Graham ran the wrong route. The coach and Stevie defended him saying it was a tough adjustment to make. Goes down as an INT against Fitz. Maybe it is still a bad decision either way askign a rookie to make that adjustment at the end of the game in that pressure situation. What is easier to see was Wilson dropping two game winning INT's. You can say he was in position to make the play and that is good but he literally dropped the ball. What is also easy to see is offensive players running away from Barnett. He has no speed or quickness left and he is not compensating for it with veteran play. He may still have played at a decent level as a 3-4 ILB but as an OLB he was as bad as A. Williams was at CB.