Iditarod 2013

Rudy's really trucking along with his 9 dog team. Moved up into 42nd place as of the last checkpoint (Kaltag), and is now almost 740 miles into the 998 mile race.

The leader of the race is now 4 time Iditarod winner, and 17 time top 10 finisher, Jeff King. From what I've been reading, he's going to be pretty hard to beat down the stretch.

59.jpg?d0edd7

Thanks for the update!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy had to drop out of the race after completing about 740 miles of te race. He was running with 9 dogs, and I heard from a friend that he had concerns about the health of 3 more of the dogs. Pretty sad he had to drop out, but I'll sure as hell buy him a beer and congratulate him when I see him at the bar.

Here is your 2013 Idotarod champ, Seward, Alaska native Mitch Seavey. He won the race in 2004, and has ten top-10 finishes under his belt.

92.jpg?d0edd7

Here is your 2013 Idotarod champ, Seward, Alaska native Mitch Seavey. He won the race in 2004, and has ten top-10 finishes under his belt.

92.jpg?d0edd7

So I've got a question. With the staggered start times, is it still "whomever crosses first" or do they compute the time it took to finish to declare the winner?

So I've got a question. With the staggered start times, is it still "whomever crosses first" or do they compute the time it took to finish to declare the winner?

Whomever crosses first is my understanding.

All teams must rest their dogs for at least eight hours at White Mountain, before the final sprint. From White Mountain to Safety is 55 miles (89 km), and from Safety to Nome it is 22 miles (35 km). The last leg is crucial because the lead teams are often within a few hours of each other at this point. As of 1991, the race has been decided by less than an hour seven different times, less than five minutes three times. The closest race in Iditarod history was in 1978 when the winner and the runner-up were only one second apart.

Whomever crosses first is my understanding.

And that's my issue. Looking at this site....

http://iditarod.com/...iditarod-today/

they do two minute staggered starts. So lets say the person that crosses second is only 6 minutes behind the first place finisher. But when they started, they started 20 minutes after the first finisher. So their completed time was actually 14 minutes faster than the person that crossed first.

You wouldn't have to wait for everyone to finish to declare the winner, because at some point, using math, you could see there is no way someone still on the course could beat the time of someone that already finished. But to me it's unfair that just because someone wasn't first out of the gate or in the front of the pack, that they could not win based on time alone.

I'm reminded of Greg Lemond's 1989 Tour De France finish where he made up a 50 second time factor that no one thought could be done...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068628/index.htm

Within your link Jack...

The difference in starting times is ‘made up’ on a musher’s 24 hour mandatory layover.

Each participant must take mandatory 8 and 24 hour layovers during the race. Now my assumption here is that the judges do not "release" the participant from their 24 hour layover until the additional time is served. For example, (again just educated speculation) a participant who started in the first position would have to serve their 24 hour layover plus the total time elapsed until the last participant left the starting line.

Within your link Jack...

Each participant must take mandatory 8 and 24 hour layovers during the race. Now my assumption here is that the judges do not "release" the participant from their 24 hour layover until the additional time is served. For example, (again just educated speculation) a participant who started in the first position would have to serve their 24 hour layover plus the total time elapsed until the last participant left the starting line.

Ah, okay. That makes sense, if that is what they do.