Flacco / Ravens agree to a new contract

In 2010 and 2011, Flacco was very good in the postseason. Last year he was brilliant and came within a dropped pass and a missed field goal of taking the Ravens to the Super Bowl. Everyone knows they should have beaten New England.

This year Flacco was flawless in the playoffs throwing 11 TDs and ZERO INTS. He truly (not statistically) outplayed Manning, Brady, and Kaepernick in the playoffs.

He made ad libs and plays with his feet that I never imagined he could make.

And of course, QB contracts always go up over time. See what Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers end up signing for.

Flacco's record is sterling and he's never missed a game in his career. He's only 28 years old.

I don't know if he'll continue to be a slightly better than average QB in the regular season but he's been a cold-blooded assassin in the last two playoffs.

Without looking at stats, you could easily make the argument that Flacco's a better QB than Eli Manning.

IMO, he deserves the money, both for past performance and for present and future market value.

Just an opinion here, so no harm meant, but I think you both went after your comp points wrong, and may have misevaluated their situations (but time will tell)....

On the first half, you picked a bunch of mid 30s guys. One coming off neck surgery - and all three past their peaks by varying amounts. What I was comparing to is what guys like luck, rg3, Wilson, or ck will get on their next deals (especially if rings come up). Guys that are mid 20s, were criminally underpaid for a few years, and about to hit their primes. Matt ryan about to be paid big too. That's a bit of projection but I think some of these guys eclipse joes numbers, as could Aaron Rodgers next deal, possibly (look for him to catch up to the pack). Plus normal salary inflation year over year.

With regards to brees, I'm not sure why you say his numbers will come down. It'll be tough unless he feels real generous. Brady it also seems was such a good guy that he will be making more money quicker and getting more guaranteed in exchange for giving the pats an accounting trick. Even if he does play it out and the numbers end up reasonable, 10m for a 40 year old qb will likely far exceed his play at that point.

That stratosphere of pay is about to get a lot more crowded, joes just the most recent to hit it.

In 2005 the cap was 85m, were now looking at a shade under 125m. That's just one contract cycle previous essentially. Even if he's the highest now, by the middle/end he won't raise an eye brow. (Insert unibrow joke here)

This is so true. People always get riled up that the guy with the highest salary is not the best player, but it has never worked that way. It's all about timing. The guy with the highest salary is just the best player on the open market, not the best player overall.

And the salary market is projective. Locking a guy up for 5 years at the highest salary now, means you are paying him much lower on the scale 3 or 4 years from now after salaries have risen, which, as you point out, they do at a pretty rapid rate.

Five years from now, 20 million a year will be a baseline for all the decent QBs in the league. The superstars on the open market will be getting much more. (Unless of course the NFL starts declining, which will happen some day, but doesn't seem imminent.)

the odds of winning more than one is not good unless your name is Brady or Rapelisberger, or unless you have a dominant defense. And since Ray Lewis is gone, Kruger will be, Suggs is getting old, Reed will soon be gone, it doesn't look good for little Joey.

Ill take any bet you'd like on it.

Like Ray Lewis was an important part of the Ravens this year.

All of you saying he's getting paid too much are saying it too soon IMO. We have yet to see what the structure of the deal is like.

His agent wanted him to be the highest paid QB in the league, and the Ravens weren't going to let him go. They may have gotten creative with the structure of the deal with a plan to restructure him in a few years.

Blue Fire and NoSaint were right.

Florio's sources in the league office have leaked the terms:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/ultimately-ravens-got-flacco-for-seven-years-127-3-million/

The average over the seven years is $18.19 million. By the last few seasons of the deal, there’s a chance that 10 or more quarterbacks will be making as much or more per year.

Even if the Ravens had been offering $18 million per year last August, they would have had Flacco under contract through 2016. He’s now under contract through 2018, at roughly the same average.

Blue Fire and NoSaint were right.

Florio's sources in the league office have leaked the terms:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/ultimately-ravens-got-flacco-for-seven-years-127-3-million/

The average over the seven years is $18.19 million. By the last few seasons of the deal, there’s a chance that 10 or more quarterbacks will be making as much or more per year.

Even if the Ravens had been offering $18 million per year last August, they would have had Flacco under contract through 2016. He’s now under contract through 2018, at roughly the same average.

Florio must've read my posts