Flacco / Ravens agree to a new contract

heard on WGR that the rumor was it was the most ever paid to a Quarterback.

Not worth it IMO.

In a couple years it'll be middle of the pack good qb money again - you know, after all the young stars get paid. He's just the first huge 20-something in awhile

highest paid player in nfl history.

regardless, not worth it. No where near close.

In a couple years it'll be middle of the pack good qb money again - you know, after all the young stars get paid. He's just the first huge 20-something in awhile

not after Brady takes less money and Bree's doesn't make as much. Not to mention Payton's contract with Denver isn't that bad. Not even close to worth the money for Flacco. Pretty good but man is he over rated if your talking about 20+ million/year.

All of you saying he's getting paid too much are saying it too soon IMO. We have yet to see what the structure of the deal is like.

His agent wanted him to be the highest paid QB in the league, and the Ravens weren't going to let him go. They may have gotten creative with the structure of the deal with a plan to restructure him in a few years.

regardless, not worth it. No where near close.

not after Brady takes less money and Bree's doesn't make as much. Not to mention Payton's contract with Denver isn't that bad. Not even close to worth the money for Flacco. Pretty good but man is he over rated if your talking about 20+ million/year.

Just an opinion here, so no harm meant, but I think you both went after your comp points wrong, and may have misevaluated their situations (but time will tell)....

On the first half, you picked a bunch of mid 30s guys. One coming off neck surgery - and all three past their peaks by varying amounts. What I was comparing to is what guys like luck, rg3, Wilson, or ck will get on their next deals (especially if rings come up). Guys that are mid 20s, were criminally underpaid for a few years, and about to hit their primes. Matt ryan about to be paid big too. That's a bit of projection but I think some of these guys eclipse joes numbers, as could Aaron Rodgers next deal, possibly (look for him to catch up to the pack). Plus normal salary inflation year over year.

With regards to brees, I'm not sure why you say his numbers will come down. It'll be tough unless he feels real generous. Brady it also seems was such a good guy that he will be making more money quicker and getting more guaranteed in exchange for giving the pats an accounting trick. Even if he does play it out and the numbers end up reasonable, 10m for a 40 year old qb will likely far exceed his play at that point.

That stratosphere of pay is about to get a lot more crowded, joes just the most recent to hit it.

In 2005 the cap was 85m, were now looking at a shade under 125m. That's just one contract cycle previous essentially. Even if he's the highest now, by the middle/end he won't raise an eye brow. (Insert unibrow joke here)

Edited by NoSaint

Next big one will probably be Matt Ryan, unless the team just completly crumbles or his play ends up sucking.

The next 2 years look interesting in regards to QB salaries....

2014: Ryan, Cutler, Romo

2015: Rodgers, Stafford, Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick

Edited by Dibs

Next big one will probably be Matt Ryan, unless the team just completly crumbles or his play ends up sucking.

Speculation is today's cuts have something to do with a monster deal going his way. He hasn't had the playoff success but I'd imagine he should be right there with joe whenever he does get paid.

Part of what flacco gets you almost have to look at as a bonus on his 2012 salary. I imagine as a second half of the first round rookie contract he played every snap of. He was underpaid for awhile now. IE 20m for 6 years this year is like essentially on par with him signing a 126m deal for 7 years last year (18m per, with him taking a load of upfront risk)

Edited by NoSaint

I can't wait to see the deal geno smith or barkley get after leading the Bills to two titles over the next 5 years

havent you heard? Russ is cheap. Smith or Barkley could lead is to 5 straight and put up HOF numbers in 5 years and Russ would let him walk.

How so?

the odds of winning more than one is not good unless your name is Brady or Rapelisberger, or unless you have a dominant defense. And since Ray Lewis is gone, Kruger will be, Suggs is getting old, Reed will soon be gone, it doesn't look good for little Joey.

Ill take any bet you'd like on it.