Levitre: Hasn't heard anything from the Bills yet

A little perspective on what could be had with the money it might take to resign Levitre: If he's looking for $8 mil/yr, I'd rather make a run at Andre Smith, who's reportedly seeking $9 mil/yr. If we're going to drop that kind of money on an O-lineman, I'd rather spend the money on a big mauling RT that can knock DL on their asses.

I'm much rather spend $9 mil on Levitre than spend it on a strictly RT with a history of weight and motivational problems. I'd put 2013 Andre Smith as closer to a haynesworth than a road grader.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/andy-levitre-in-limbo-hasnt-heard-anything-from-bills/

I’m in limbo right now,” Levitre said. “I don’t know what their plan is.

“Now that Jairus got his franchise tag, there’s a week and a half for them to work a deal out with me. But I haven’t been offered anything yet. We’re waiting around to see if something will pop up.”

Me thinks maybe Levitre is pricing himself off this club is what's really going on.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

I suspect NIx and Stevie had the same time line last year. If they don't want Levitre back what is the point in sending him a low ball offer. If they want him back they will blow him away with an offer he can't refuse right at the end. If Levitre wants to walk there is nothing the Bills can do about it.

I still say let hime walk, take Warmack at #8 and use the cap dollars saved to get Mike Wallace or Bowe. Add a few LB's and draft BPA round 2-8.

So, don't address QB?

I'm much rather spend $9 mil on Levitre than spend it on a strictly RT with a history of weight and motivational problems. I'd put 2013 Andre Smith as closer to a haynesworth than a road grader.

I suppose that's a valid concern. More broadly, the point is that $8-9 mil/yr is top OT money. Only a select few elite LTs eclipse the $10 mil mark. If I'm GM and I'm throwing around that kind of money I want it to be for a dominant athlete that is a true difference maker, rather than a pretty good dependable player whose best attribute is his ability to stay healthy.

I suppose that's a valid concern. More broadly, the point is that $8-9 mil/yr is top OT money. Only a select few elite LTs eclipse the $10 mil mark. If I'm GM and I'm throwing around that kind of money I want it to be for a dominant athlete that is a true difference maker, rather than a pretty good dependable player whose best attribute is his ability to stay healthy.

Also, the top money is typically reserved for left tackles, not right tackles like Andre Smith.

It would be stupid for the Bills to let Levitre go without at least 'throwing an offer' at him.

Guy's been a loyal Bill, and a better-than-decent and extremely versatile o-line guy.

He be snapped up in a New York second if the Bills let him hit the FA market.

And The Senator will be pissed.

Season ticket holders are watching, Russ, and I haven't sent in my renewal yet.

Absolutely! As you know, I am a life long Alabama Fan. I can tell you point blank that if Fluker stays healthy, he will be a much better RT than Andre Smith. Fluker is as strong as an ox and doesn't get winded late in the game. Imo, he has a chance to be Bob Brown great. Andre has proven that he will let himself get out of shape. 9 mil is too much for Levitre, but nobody will give him that much. But the truth is, the Bills need to make him a freaking offer.

Edited by Bill from NYC

It would be stupid for the Bills to let Levitre go without at least 'throwing an offer' at him.

Guy's been a loyal Bill, and a better-than-decent and extremely versatile o-line guy.

He be snapped up in a New York second if the Bills let him hit the FA market.

And The Senator will be pissed.

Season ticket holders are watching, Russ, and I haven't sent in my renewal yet.

I would like him to stay also but not at the $8-9M people here are talking about, but what do you mean he's been a loyal Bill?

There is added value in that statement i firmly believe.

But financially i just dont know where the money is best spent.

The thought of letting him go, if thats the intention , and then drafting early to get his replacement is silly to me.

I once said here " mark my words , we will have both Jairus and Andy at the start of next seaon " Now i dont feel so sure.

Nix likes to find servicable guys for bargain prices.

Yes, $9mil for a guard is a lot of money. But I don't know that he'll get that even in the open market.

But it makes a load of sense for Bills to keep Levitre because I can argue that he's been the reason the OL has gelled in the last 4 years. I would also have more confidence in letting him go if the current talent evaluators had a better history of drafting good players. The reason that I posted the names above is to show that guards are not really as plug and play as everyone imagines. That collection of stiffs was an eight year effort to find Ruben Brown's replacement. How did that work out?

I know that this draft is deep with OLs, and Bills should get a crack at one of the top 3 LTs, which would allow them to move Glenn to LG and the line would still be solid. But that would leave Bills in roughly the same place as they are right now, and the probability of getting a difference maker in round two drops dramatically.

The discussed number keeps growing and growing. I still have him pegged at 7 and change. 5 years 35-38m, 15-20 guaranteed

At least to me, keeping Levitre is worth it at 7 and change, but no higher. Once you start getting over 8, i've got an issue. I won't be happy if he leaves and signs elsewhere for the numbers you mentioned.

The discussed number keeps growing and growing. I still have him pegged at 7 and change. 5 years 35-38m, 15-20 guaranteed

Yeah...that's about right. And I think it will get done. THERE. I'm positive about something.

i had to laugh. Now Andy wants 9 million to be a Bill..

When did that happen ? :pirate:

inference not fact.

yet.

Oh yea im definetly just inferring. He could be resigned,but IIRC last year at this time Johnson and the Bills were negotiating......and Levitre says he hasn't even heard from the FO yet???? Not a good sign.

I would like him to stay also but not at the $8-9M people here are talking about, but what do you mean he's been a loyal Bill?

Well, maybe I'm pushing it, but some guys seem like it doesn't matter to them if they stay here or go elsewhere (Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, etc.), while some (Stevie Johnson) profess their loyalty to the franchise and a desire to stay here.

Levitre has said he wants to stay - that, for a number of reasons, he'd rather remain in Buffalo and hopes that he can. (His wife is from here, too.)

That's all I meant.