Defensive Back

Defensive Tackle

Defensive End (in round 1)

Positions I'd be happy drafting in Rd 1:

Offensive Line (other than Center)

Outside Linebacker

Quarterback

Wide Receiver

I think if we go BPA with those positions we need, that would be great. Probably takes QB out of the mix in round 1. Warmack really interests me. Give us tons of flexibility along the O-line and makes this a real strength of the team. Maybe I am too old school, but I still believe that a good O-line makes the rest of the team better.

This is what I'm screaming. Come December when we're pounding the ball on the ground behind this beast the pick won't look so bad.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have zero problems with the BILLS taking Warmack at 8. His salary would be about $3m per, which is about a third of what Logan Mankins is making.

This isn't the NFL draft of 5 years ago, the salaries aren't crazy. If there's not an elite pass rusher sitting there, you can feel free to give me a 10 year pro bowl Olineman who has won a couple titles. This team desperately needs some winners.

This is what I'm screaming. Come December when we're pounding the ball on the ground behind this beast the pick won't look so bad.

Nothing would make me happier than steamrolling teams on the ground all year and keeping pretty boys like Brady on the sideline.

Kolb is now official. We are not gonna take a qb too early because they got Kolb so now shore up the spot vacant by Levitre leaving with Chance Warmack. I know its not gonna be popular but thinking of Kolb's strengths keeping him off his ass will be key. Combine it with our running game behind this road grater and you have a chance of an efficient offense. I know there's head scratching . Why didn't we keep levitre now we gotta draft his replacement wah wah wah I get that. But you gotta think about making our strengths (running game, keeping Kolb upright so he can execute the passing game) even stronger

LV

Kolb back to pass, has plenty of time, can't find anyone open, still holding the ball, now he's gonna run it. Following the block of Warmack, TOUCHDOWN!!!

Seriously though, the Bills need to do something about their passing game. That means QB and receivers. And the team has a dire need for a 3-down linebacker.

Anyways I think that those people advocating for Warmack at 8 are gonna be disappointed, regardless of who's right in this debate.

Nix has said time and again that he is in the business of drafting Tackles. If they don't pan out they can be moved inside. It mitigates risk substantially. You draft big Tackles with size and at least average feet and they can usually work out as a guard with some pulling ability after some adjustment. The only way you draft a guard ever is if they can also play Center.

I have the inclination to repeatedly re-post this ^^^^^

Positions I don't think we can afford to draft in round 1:

You should meet Dibs. I'd love to introduce you guys…

Nix has said time and again that he is in the business of drafting Tackles. If they don't pan out they can be moved inside. It mitigates risk substantially. You draft big Tackles with size and at least average feet and they can usually work out as a guard with some pulling ability after some adjustment. The only way you draft a guard ever is if they can also play Center.

Dunno If I'd be quoting the GM with one of the very worst records this franchise has seen. Going into the 4th year of constant rebuilding program that Nix stated "was not that far away" when he took over. All Nix does is band aid positions that keep needing new band aids.

That really is a stupid philosophy IMO. Glenn was graded as a possible right tackle and would probably make all pro as a guard because of not quick enough feet to play LT. Granted he did well last season, but a lot can be said of Fitz getting rid of the ball very quickly. Glenn might easily be exposed this season with Kolb or TJ, we shall see.

Dunno If I'd be quoting the GM with one of the very worst records this franchise has seen. Going into the 4th year of constant rebuilding program that Nix stated "was not that far away" when he took over. All Nix does is band aid positions that keep needing new band aids.

Why wouldn't you quote him?

He's the GM isn't he?

Unless you're saying that Nix is no longer the decision maker, what Nix says carries a lot of weight.

You just don't take kickers, gaurds or tightends in the top 10 picks (unless you're Oakland & we see where they're at). We are going WR, QB or LB at 8.

3 of Oakland's last 4 picks inside the Top 10 were a WR, LBer, and QB. The other was a RB.

Try again.

Why wouldn't you quote him?

He's the GM isn't he?

Unless you're saying that Nix is no longer the decision maker, what Nix says carries a lot of weight.

What I'm saying is that Buddy Nix one of the worst GM's in the history of the franchise, and I believe in time most every Bills fan will acknowledge this, even if you never do.

Why he is still the GM, I don't know as he should have been canned along with his loser HC & DC. What I do know is if this draft is anything like the last 3, we Bills fans can maybe expect that #8 to be an average player, and the rest of the draft almost useless.

I'm quoting Nix...sort of :lol: v

Edited by FeartheLosing

Nothing would make me happier than steamrolling teams on the ground all year and keeping pretty boys like Brady on the sideline.

This would be a good strategy 15-20 years ago. Now it makes zero sense. Pass successfully or remain irrelevant.

What I'm saying is that Buddy Nix one of the worst GM's in the history of the francise, and I believe in time most every Bills fan will acknowledge this, even if you never do.

Why he is still the GM, I don't know as he should have been canned along with his loser HC & DC. What I do know is if this draft is anything like the last 3 we Bills fans can maybe expect that #8 to be an average player, and the rest of the draft almost useless.

I'm quoting Nix...sort of :lol: v

I'm not a Nix defender (after 3 years who would be?) so it's easy for me to say he's done a bad job.

But he's still the decision maker as far as we know so it's very hard to imagine the Bills drafting a guard.

But he's still the decision maker as far as we know so it's very hard to imagine the Bills drafting a guard.

Very true...This is Buddy's Scouting Dept...He's been the man in charge now for years...I think at least some of Nix's philosophies have taken hold...Listen to what Whaley said last year when asked about Cordy Glenn...He pretty much repeated Buddy's stance word for word...The Bills Draft College OT's, if they can't play OT in the NFL, they move them inside...But not taking an OG high is certainly not a Nix-exclusive philosophy...You have to look no further than the 2012 Draft where a highly rated, and a highly hyped David DeCastro went #24 overall...Some felt DeCastro was the highest rated player not named Luck in that entire Draft...But he's an OG...So...

There are teams like Tennessee who value OG's higher obviously...And they may even take Warmack or Cooper in the 1st...But I don't see it for the Bills...I think they would take Lane Johnson, or D.J. Fluker, before either OG if they go O-Line...And I doubt they go O-Line anyway... B-)

You have to look no further than the 2012 Draft where a highly rated, and a highly hyped David DeCastro went #24 overall...Some felt DeCastro was the highest rated player not named Luck in that entire Draft...But he's an OG...So...

I will say this for Warmack:

There are a few more people banging the drum for him this year than there were last year for DeCastro or the year before with Watkins.

But EVERY year there is one guard who a small but vocal group of posters rally behind and they use the same arguments.

Not saying they're right or wrong. Just stating an observation.

If we trade way down to the late teens or twenties I can see Warmack being a good pick as likely trading down 10+ spots would net us an extra 2nd rounder or more which would give us two second rounders to fill other needs while plugging the hole at guard.

8th overall I would be too high to replace a good player like Levitre at a position were you can find players in later rounds.

This would be a good strategy 15-20 years ago. Now it makes zero sense. Pass successfully or remain irrelevant.

Disagree. While that's the trend, it's not necessarily the only way to win. I'm not saying run a HB smash every play, but if you've got five guys that can run block and you spread the field with 3 or 4 WRs, you create space for a guy like spiller to run.

Seems like a really good football player. I don't see him falling to #41 though, so too bad we will miss him. I assume everyone here is enough in the 21st century to laugh at choosing a OG at #8 of course, and nobody would actually suggest that.

If we trade way down to the late teens or twenties I can see Warmack being a good pick as likely trading down 10+ spots would net us an extra 2nd rounder or more which would give us two second rounders to fill other needs while plugging the hole at guard.

8th overall I would be too high to replace a good player like Levitre at a position were you can find players in later rounds.

The way I look at it is, if the player is graded as the best player in the draft and it also fills a huge need. Then go ahead and pull the trigger on a more then likely all pro OG at #8. Which would help the Bills run game / pass blocking immensely. Like I've stated many times I'd rather see the Bills draft one of the top 3 OT's, but I wouldn't cry if they took Warmack.

I'd rather have an all pro guard at #8 then an any average player. IDC if guards are supposed to be drafted in the later rounds. If there is a player who can solidify, and lock down a position for years, I'll take him. It he played OT with that grade he would most certainly be the #1 overall pick. So #8 isn't that far fetched.

This conjecture is all moot anyway, as Nix will draft a DB who the Bills will let walk in 4 years.

The way I look at it is, if the player is graded as the best player in the draft and it also fills a huge need. Then go ahead and pull the trigger on a more then likely all pro OG at #8. Which would help the Bills run game / pass blocking immensely. Like I've stated many times I'd rather see the Bills draft one of the top 3 OT's, but I wouldn't cry if they took Warmack.

I'd rather have an all pro guard at #8 then an any average player. IDC if guards are supposed to be drafted in the later rounds. If there is a player who can solidify, and lock down a position for years, I'll take him. It he played OT with that grade he would most certainly be the #1 overall pick. So #8 isn't that far fetched.

This conjecture is all moot anyway, as Nix will draft a DB who the Bills will let walk in 4 years.

But your post suggests that Warmack will be the next Carl Nicks (multiple All-Pro guard who is a former college tackle btw) and all the other guys who are gonna be there are risks.

What if Dion Jordan is the next Aldon Smith?

White if Ansah is the next Jason Pierre Paul?

What if EJ Manuel is the next Cam Newton or Cordarelle Patterson is the next Julio Jones?

I'm not saying who's gonna succeed and who's gonna bust but there's no guarantee for Warmack just as there's no guarantee for any of these players.

edit: I understand your point. Not debating. Just saying.

But your post suggests that Warmack will be the next Carl Nicks (multiple All-Pro guard who is a former college tackle btw) and all the other guys who are gonna be there are risks.

What if Dion Jordan is the next Aldon Smith?

White if Ansah is the next Jason Pierre Paul?

What if EJ Manuel is the next Cam Newton or Cordarelle Patterson is the next Julio Jones?

I'm not saying who's gonna succeed and who's gonna bust but there's no guarantee for Warmack just as there's no guarantee for any of these players.

edit: I understand your point. Not debating. Just saying.

Well, after reading what Mayock has to say about him, and NFLdraftscout.com. Some stuff from the latter.

''Alabama coach Nick Saban said Warmack's skills make him a good bet as a high pick at a position that produces relatively few first-rounders. ''I just think that Chance has unique skill set and he's got really good size,'' Saban said. ''He's very powerful, he's athletic, he's got good feet, he can pass block and he can get moving in the run game. I think people that have his kind of balance and body control and the kind of athleticism that he has at his size are rare commodities. Everybody knows that those guys play 12, 14, 15 years. I think Chance has a chance to have that kind of career.'' - AP Sports

"COMPARES TO: Will Shields, OG, Kansas City Chiefs -- Let's be clear, no incoming rookie truly deserves comparison to a first ballot Hall of Famer, but Warmack is a rare prospect. While perhaps a tad shorter than ideal, Warmack uses his natural leverage advantage to consistently get under the pads of his opponents, driving them off of the ball in the running game and anchoring in pass protection. His lateral agility and balance make him effective getting to and blocking at the second level and handling quicker pass rushers, as well. "

The players you mentioned aren't getting praise like this. Plus Jordan already has had medical issues. EJ Manuel doesn't even have a first round grade by the majority of draft sites. Ansah has some noted risk factor as do all the players you mentioned. From everything I've read it doesn't get any better then Chance Warmack.

Over the 30+ years I've been reading about football players (PFW subscription prior to the internet) and the grades they are given. When I read about a player who's grade is this high, those players usually are very successful in the NFL

Disagree. While that's the trend, it's not necessarily the only way to win. I'm not saying run a HB smash every play, but if you've got five guys that can run block and you spread the field with 3 or 4 WRs, you create space for a guy like spiller to run.

The only problem that I can see with what you are saying is that we don't have 3 or 4 WRs to spread the field.