Bills Defense (02/28/13)

The Big Cat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 Draft Picks on D in those 3 years!!! And this guy is still running the football operation at OBD!!! Talk about a blessed life!... :huh:

That's just the defense. He got nothing from the 5th round on in last years draft on a 6-10 team. Doesn't look like Easley is going to pan out and Johnny White was a wasted pick.

I don't know how much input each coach had in drafting players, but if it was considerable they did they sure did a s#it job a developing

The leadership is going to come from Pettine's hand-picked guys they are going to bring in FA - isn't that obvious?

Not only has the recent group of "leaders" produced a horrible result on the field - they aren't part of the culture they are trying to change to.

And therein lies the optimism that things will come together. Not saying I disagree with you, but at this moment in time, it definitely requires a Leap of Faith (starring Steve Martin).

The leadership is going to come from Pettine's hand-picked guys they are going to bring in FA - isn't that obvious?

Not only has the recent group of "leaders" produced a horrible result on the field - they aren't part of the culture they are trying to change to.

How about drafting someone who'll lead and not relying on UFA for that? And as far as the Jets' castoffs (if they sign with Buffalo), why do they get instant respect when they walk into that locker room?

I concur with the growing consensus that trading our 1st round pick to the niners is a good idea. For fun, I started working out where I would people in different schemes and I don't know about all the doom and gloom that people have been tracking.

First of all, we haven't hit free agency yet. Personally, I'm hoping for Pace at LB and Landry at SS from the Jets, who already know how Pettine's system works. Landry should get paid, and Pace should have a low base, high incentive short term contract since there are only a few more good years. Moore would likely be a relatively affordable renewal for DE/OLB

Second, there's Pettine's system to take into account. Pettine has talked about a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 and more recently utilizing a "nickel base", and considering his background this is sounding like a 3-3-5 system, where players are highly interchangeable around the field. Anderson was utilized as a hybrid DE/OLB for the Pats, and Moore would fit into that as well I believe. Another aspect is that Pettine likes his DE's not only to set an edge, but to attack the quarterback, like he did with Ngnata with the Ravens, and like JJ Watt is used by the Texans. Suddenly the front seven looks like this

NT: Kyle Williams/Marcell Dareus/Troup

DE: Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams, Alex Carrington

OLB: Mark Anderson/Kyle Moore/Nigel Bradham

ILB: Moats, Sheppard, Morrison

Ok, the ILB corps leave much to be desired, but Minter and Teo would be decent second round pick improvements, followed up by a 4th rounder to help with depth

That leaves the secondary. A lot of people have suggested that Aaron Williams be moved to safety due to his athleticism and physicality but getting beat in 1 on 1. While he isn't the best fit for SS, I do think he could do well as a NB if that indeed is going to be a base (or very common subpackage). I am somewhat worried about our #2 CB, but it looks like McKelvin is our guy for now (ugh) but there is still time for Rodgers and Brooks to take that away from him.

I am still holding out hope for landing Landry, since he would make for a great 1-2 safety punch with Byrd (who we say we are going to franchise) as that open up room for use in the 46 formation. I did a post about that before, but the 46 is a variation of the 3-4 where there there are actually 4 down linemen, with the NT directly on center, the weakside DE (Mario) is in charge of quarterback rushing and breaking up reverses/counter plays, and the SS comes down to act like a linebacker, which would be a perfect fit for the athletic Landry.

Am I sitting with a big old pitcher of Kool-Aid as I write this? Yes, with an extra bottle of bourbon but that's beside the point. While things aren't good, we can shuffle our players to minimize the loss of the old, dead weight players and we have the cap space to keep the ones we like, draw in some new ones in FA, and few choice picks in the draft can get us into fighting form (if not elite status) fairly quickly.

I think McKelvin is fine at covering most routes but has difficulty finding and playing the ball on vertical ones where he has to track the ball over his shoulders. I seriously wonder if they have had his vision checked thoroughly. As it was, I was buying the "Leodis to cover the slot receiver" stories we getting in training camp and I thought he looked good there in the exhibition games . I know I would have been much happier to see him rather than Rogers covering Welker and can't really understand why it didn't happen.

And therein lies the optimism that things will come together. Not saying I disagree with you, but at this moment in time, it definitely requires a Leap of Faith (starring Steve Martin).

Oh I wasn't assuming it WILL come together - I was just describing my estimate of the PLAN. I admit to also having some optimism based on Pettine's history, but that's irrelevant to what I believe he is/they are doing re: getting players.

The leadership question isn't the biggest one, it's who plays on opening day. They have 2 DE's signed, the DT's are OK, but coming off a season where they contributed to a 31st ranking versus the run. The LB group features a mere 2 guys who have experience at the position, they have 2 safeties with NFL experience provided Byrd is retained. And, the GM just stated McKelvin is the starter opposite 2nd year man Gilmore. Wow.

I wouldn't just say the roster has holes. It's more like the after-effect of a B-52 strike.

I still don't like that statement! How does Nix know who the starter will be even before free agency and the draft? Not to mention OTA's and training camp! Can he see into the future, and know for sure who is going to win a starting position?

How about drafting someone who'll lead and not relying on UFA for that? And as far as the Jets' castoffs (if they sign with Buffalo), why do they get instant respect when they walk into that locker room?

That's fine too - and I hope they will with their 1st pick even if there's a guy who fits the bill and value for their slot.

I'm just saying before we even get to the draft in April, you will see the Bills go after ex-Jets and Ravens who already play the roles and styles he's looking for, and if they can get the right ones, those guys are going to be the new leaders.

A rookie can only lead so much anayway.

A lot of people talking like we are going back to a 3-4, last time I heard that wasn't write in stone, if we are then add legit NT to all those holes we have to fill

Pettine talked about his new job with the Bills’ official website, and he was asked whether he’ll be using a 3-4 or a 4-3.

The answer is really yes to both,” Pettine said. “We’ll be a multiple front, multiple coverage defense. The trademark of our defense is we’re going to be smart, tough and relentless. How we configure it is more player-driven. I’ve always believed that you don’t fit your players to your scheme, but you fit your scheme to your players. What I see here is a group of explosive athletes and playmakers and we’re going to put them in a position to do just that. We’re going to be in the configuration that gives us the best opportunity to win football games.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/3-4-or-4-3-for-bills-under-pettine-yes/

I still don't like that statement! How does Nix know who the starter will be even before free agency and the draft? Not to mention OTA's and training camp! Can he see into the future, and know for sure who is going to win a starting position?

As I mentioned earlier, the defense has few good starters and even less depth with the offense only slightly better in both categories. You do not have enough UFA dollars and high draft picks to fill the needs they have to get to the post-season. They'll try, but you can only add so many quality players in an off-season.

Regardless of what anyone says, this is another rebuild.

From an inside source: mentality in the locker room was they weren't going anywhere with last year's coaches. Perhaps that will all change. After all, what is the talent deviation from team to team, really.

When the team doesn't believe in it's Quarterback, they are going nowhere. The talent level on the Bills overall isn't that different from most of the league, it's just that year in, and year out, they know it's all for naught. It just becomes about playing for personal stats, and the paycheck. Coasting.

As I mentioned earlier, the defense has few good starters and even less depth with the offense only slightly better in both categories. You do not have enough UFA dollars and high draft picks to fill the needs they have to get to the post-season. They'll try, but you can only add so many quality players in an off-season.

Regardless of what anyone says, this is another rebuild.

Right, but the reason i really don't like this is what about UDFA? Even if we do not pick up a CB in the draft or free agency. There is still the possibility that we could sign an undrafted and he could come in and take that spot. I think it is a little early to be defining starters. Especially considering a new coaching staff and schemes. We take 90 into camp. He should just wait to make statements like that. Especially considering he is not the head coach.