Packer fan finally gets season tickets....

Just Jack

I worked with a guy from Green Bay. He tole me his parents filled out a form in the hospital for him to be put on the Packers season tix waiting list. That was in 1976, as far as I know he is still waiting. I have no idea about the fees he has had to (or not had to) pay though. It looks like that guy in the article was getting a good seat...

Small market teams will never sell out tho. They should move to LA where there is a proven ability to sell out a stadium....

I am from Binghamton, NY. If you know it then you know it is a pretty small city. With the surrounding areas (Vestal, Endicott, Johnson city ect) making up what is known as the Triple Cities or the Greater Binghamton Area. We have a population of 251,725 as of the 2010 census. "Buffalo itself has a population of 261,310 (2010 Census) and the Buffalo–Niagara–Cattaraugus Combined Statistical Area is home to 1,215,826 residents. Green Bay's population was 104,057 and is the principal city of the Green Bay Metropolitan Statistical Area, which covers Brown, Kewaunee, and Oconto Counties[8] and had a combined population of 282,599 at the 2000 census.[5]Green Bay is home to the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League, making it by far the smallest metropolitan area in the USA to host a major professional sports franchise."

Despite my poor quoting ability and not getting all county lines correct, everything came from Wiki, it's evident that there is a small market team like Buffalo and then there is a incredibly small market like Green Bay, about 4 times smaller then the Buffalo area.

If Binghamton were to have an NFL franchise we would have about the same as many potential fans as Green Bay, equal to about 3 full football stadiums worth of people. To have a few hundred year waiting list for season tickets is pretty freaking amazing and shows how far people will travel on a regular basis to see their team. I think it is comparable saying it would be as far aways as Binghamton to Buffalo and this is not even Buffalo territory. I guess I'm just pointing out how incredible it is for Green Bay to have the following they do for as long as they have. I am sleep deprived right now, sorry if this didn't make a whole lotta sense. Oh, and every Packers game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960, again according to Wiki.

When I moved to N VA, in 1970, The Redskins were still at RFK, Vince Lombardi was Coach, you couldn't buy a ticket for a game because the whole stadium was Season Ticket Holders. At that time the rumor was a 50 year waiting list. People wouid actually "will" their tickets to others.

However, IF you were "connected" to someone, that wait all but disappeared.

Milwaukee is a huge city, and is only about 1.5 hours away from Green Bay -- making it an easy drive. That population isn't factored into your post, Drewgetz.

Very true, thanks. Yahoo maps has the distance at 1 hour and 53 minutes and is still a good way to haul on a consistent basis, particularly after you account for traffic. BTW, Toronto to Buffalo takes less time and is more then 4x the size of Milwaukee. Granted, there is the passport thing but still...

What about Sabre tix? I understand there to be a waiting list of 4,000, but they only have some 300 free up each year. 13 years then for Sabre season tickets

The Sabres found room for about 400 new seats so the FNC now holds 19,070. If the Sabres don't improve soon that wait list will vanish.

PTR

I am from Binghamton, NY. If you know it then you know it is a pretty small city. With the surrounding areas (Vestal, Endicott, Johnson city ect) making up what is known as the Triple Cities or the Greater Binghamton Area. We have a population of 251,725 as of the 2010 census. "Buffalo itself has a population of 261,310 (2010 Census) and the Buffalo–Niagara–Cattaraugus Combined Statistical Area is home to 1,215,826 residents. Green Bay's population was 104,057 and is the principal city of the Green Bay Metropolitan Statistical Area, which covers Brown, Kewaunee, and Oconto Counties[8] and had a combined population of 282,599 at the 2000 census.[5]Green Bay is home to the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League, making it by far the smallest metropolitan area in the USA to host a major professional sports franchise."

Despite my poor quoting ability and not getting all county lines correct, everything came from Wiki, it's evident that there is a small market team like Buffalo and then there is a incredibly small market like Green Bay, about 4 times smaller then the Buffalo area.

If Binghamton were to have an NFL franchise we would have about the same as many potential fans as Green Bay, equal to about 3 full football stadiums worth of people. To have a few hundred year waiting list for season tickets is pretty freaking amazing and shows how far people will travel on a regular basis to see their team. I think it is comparable saying it would be as far aways as Binghamton to Buffalo and this is not even Buffalo territory. I guess I'm just pointing out how incredible it is for Green Bay to have the following they do for as long as they have. I am sleep deprived right now, sorry if this didn't make a whole lotta sense. Oh, and every Packers game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960, again according to Wiki.

Yeah, but it's... Binghamton.

that is pretty awesome. i really like the way that the packers are setup. makes me wish the bills where that way as well

You mean a system where only a select few can ever go see the team play live except for buying scalped tickets at exorbitant prices? That sounds awesome.

Edited by vincec

Very true, thanks. Yahoo maps has the distance at 1 hour and 53 minutes and is still a good way to haul on a consistent basis, particularly after you account for traffic. BTW, Toronto to Buffalo takes less time and is more then 4x the size of Milwaukee. Granted, there is the passport thing but still...

It doesn't take two hours to drive between those cities -- it's more like 1.5 hours. You also didn't include Outagamie county (the Appleton, WI area), which is less than 30 minutes away and an easy commute (my in-laws used to live in Green Bay and worked in Appleton), so that adds a couple hundred thousand more people. Yes, Green Bay is a small market, but it's not exactly apples to apples comparing it to Buffalo using the stats that you provided. Plus, the area has a better economy.

The Packers are successful at regionalizing the team - something the Bills are trying to do.