Detroit Free Press mock draft

Beerball

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing support for the Bills drafting Matt Barkley at #8. Sorry, but I just don't see it...

1. Geno Smith is both an athletically gifted and strong armed QB who is genuinely worthy of a 1st round grade because of this duel threat. Matt Barkley is neither athletically gifted nor does he have a strong arm to garner such a consideration. Barkley seems more mentally mature of the two, but you actually have to have the physical traits of a franchise QB to be considered a top 10 drafted QB who will in fact be expected to become a franchise QB. Smith is such a player, Barkley is not.

2. I see very little difference between what both Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib bring to the table. If anything, I see Ryan Nassib as having a higher upside because he isn't the finished product that Matt Barkley is. Barkley is as good as he's going to get. He just spent four years starting at a top college program. What you see is what you get and there is no more higher ceiling to what he is right now. Now I'm not a Nassib fan and I don't want the Bills to draft either him or Barkley, but the simple question remains...Why would the Bills draft Matt Barkley (coming of a shoulder injury no less) when they could draft Ryan Nassib with the second round pick?

I still hope the Bill get either Jordan, Patterson or Ansah at #8 and EJ Manuel in the second. I think EJ Manuel's the entire franchise QB package (who may need a year or two of development) but who will have a Steve McNair type of franchise QB career. I just don't trust Geno Smith's leadership qualities, however I'll certainly get on board and support the selection if he's the pick.

I agree with your takes.

Geno at least has a high upside so if we take a QB at #8, I hope it's him.

I agree that Barkely doesn't differentiate himself from Nassib very much and that both of them seem close to their ceilings and are generally underwhelming in talent. I don't see that either of them have intangibles that will transcend their ordinary physical skills.

Because of my lack of confidence in the QBs, I would be perfectly fine with drafting EJ Manuel in the 2nd round or Bray in the 3rd. Either of them have just as much chance as succeeding as Smith/Barkley/Nassib and both have much higher upsides, IMO.

So, at this point (and it's still early) I prefer best player available at #8 and then QB later based on risk/reward.

not to mention his horrible bowl game, his late season fall-off, inability to win big games, and not participating in the Senior Bowl. I would take Barkley ahead of Smith. If Smith is there are Barkely gone, I'd wait and grab Wilson in rd. 2, and draft BPA, which may be OL, which we may need if Levitre leaves.

He led WVU to 70 something against Clemson in a bowl game last year. You can't base anything off on one game good or bad. What about Barkley would cause you to take him over Smith? Barkley has a weaker arm. Less athleticism. And was a decision making grease fire this past season. He fell off this season too and pretty much from the start. He also didn't participate in the Senior Bowl or the combine. If you like Barkley better cool, but it seems like there would be better reasons than the one's you stated.

I think trading UP for any QB in this particular draft would be very foolish and I welcome the JESTS to pull such a bone-headed move.

Agreed - but more than what I think, I just don't think the little hints OBD has been slipping point to Smith at all.

It's hard to picture the QB OBD talks about as "winning the big/clutch games" would be the same guy Marone beat twice in bowl games.

LoL. It's a team game. Geno Smith didn't play defense. Many of the games WVU lost they had over 30 points.