Questions about Official 40 times

Watching the combine the last few days I have seen quite a difference in clocked times and official times. Also when they do the simu cams it looks like the "official" times are way off? What is going on? ! second or more is a huge difference. So what exactly are they running?

Edited by buffalobillsgrl

I believe the official times are from when they break the beam at the start line and when they break the other one after 40 yards.

That is why they can start whenever they are ready as opposed to having a starting gun kind of thing.

The unofficial times are somebody from ESPN or somewhere clicking their stopwatch when it looks like the player starts moving and when it looks like they cross the finish line.

That's why the two times differ.

Now why they need unofficial times at all and just don't automatically post the official times immediately I can't explain.

I understand the point of it.......the problem I have is the large difference between. And the simu cam they do showing different than the times do. You would think in this day and age of technology there would be a better way with more accurate results. I know machines also malfunction.....but still lol. It bothers me. Thank you for answering tho. I wanted to pick brains and see how everyone felt about this

Okay, I am a track coach and I can explain this in full detail.

When hand-timing any race, there is an assumed human error of .24 seconds. When compared to a time that is recorded with cameras and computer software, the .24 seconds error is added to the hand-time. For example, Deion Sanders in college was clocked in 4.1 seconds in the 40, thus it is considered a 4.34 second 40 as he probably would have finished around that time.

When ESPN or NFLN gives an unofficial time, it is most likely a hand-time, where as the cameras do not lie. The other possibility is that they are using cameras but do not have proper angle to see when the chest crosses the line.

Furthermore, the official cameras have some calibration to judge when the player starts, which could be a bigger source of delayed results. Honestly, a track style gun start or a swimming style beep start would be easier.

Edited by justnzane