Combine official QB measurements, height, weight, hand size

simpleman

based on this chart, Brad Sorensen and Tyler Wilson either

A) dont have hands

B) have unmeasureably large/small hands....

Interesting

gotta have a big handed QB - makes up for even tiny men like Russell Wilson

get emmmm buddy

Hands:

Wilson 8 ¾

Sorensen 9 ¼

Edited by simpleman

I like using footballsfuture.com. They have all the results in spreadsheet form, including arm length, 40 times, etc.

Hands and arm length are very inportant IMO. Brees and Wilson both have huge hands and abnormally long arms for their height. It lets them grip the ball and get more leverage on it = arm strength and accuracy.

Avoid anyone with small hands. Barkley and Nassib are the only ones on that list I would touch considering those measurables.

I like using footballsfuture.com. They have all the results in spreadsheet form, including arm length, 40 times, etc.

Hands and arm length are very inportant IMO. Brees and Wilson both have huge hands and abnormally long arms for their height. It lets them grip the ball and get more leverage on it = arm strength and accuracy.

Avoid anyone with small hands. Barkley and Nassib are the only ones on that list I would touch considering those measurables.

what about Manuel?

what about Manuel?

That had to be an oversight. Manuel has the largest hands of the entire QB group at 10 3/8".

Seriously, that's what scares me about Wilson. 8 3/4" hands, to me, says he would have a lot of difficulty in nasty (or cold) weather, and have more of a propensity for fumbling.

Note: for comparison purposes, Drew Brees is 10 1/4" while Daunte Culpepper (remember all those fumbles?) was 9 1/2".

Edited by eball

That had to be an oversight. Manuel has the largest hands of the entire QB group at 10 3/8".

Seriously, that's what scares me about Wilson. 8 3/4" hands, to me, says he would have a lot of difficulty in nasty (or cold) weather, and have more of a propensity for fumbling.

Note: for comparison purposes, Drew Brees is 10 1/4" while Daunte Culpepper (remember all those fumbles?) was 9 1/2".

How big is a college football compared to a regulation NFL ball? Do they use a NERF ball in the NCAA?

what about Manuel?

I eliminated him from my list for other reasons, not hand size.

How big is a college football compared to a regulation NFL ball? Do they use a NERF ball in the NCAA?

Quite a bit larger, but its also a different leather, its harder and much slicker.

Regardless of ball size (and I thought the balls were similar), in the NCAA they're playing against inferior competition...not as much pressure, WRs running around in the open...it's just a different game, and the factors that expose the "problems" with having small hands don't come into play. A QB with larger hands isn't going to fumble as easily when his arm is slapped by a defender, and I'd think there would be fewer throws that "get away" from such a QB.

I really believe this is a legitimate consideration. Even without knowing hand sizes, we've all seen QBs who seem to fumble every time they're hit, versus those who take ridiculous shots but still hang onto the ball. I'd be willing to bet there's a correlation.

I eliminated him from my list for other reasons, not hand size.

Quite a bit larger, but its also a different leather, its harder and much slicker.

what reasons? manuel is growing on me, while the others are shrinking. i know his footwork is questionable but that seems one of the few things that can actually be fixed.

I think we trade up back into the first and pick Manuel. Hope it turns out better than JP Losman.

We pick Patterson with our #1. I think Indy will be willing to trade down.

Not even close to necassary. He'll be there at 41. May even be there in the third, most likely not though.