Dion Jordan - DE - Oregon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no slam dunks on OLBs in the 1st round. NONE.

I really like Jamie Collins (S Miss) in the 3rd tho.

There are no slam dunks on OLBs in the 1st round. NONE.

I really like Jamie Collins (S Miss) in the 3rd tho.

Yeah his combine numbers were great. Jordan gives me nightmares of Maybin. Alden Smith was 2 inches shorter,20lbs heavier,2inch longer arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UwVrBRruEk

Tall and lanky, but the guy has some speed for a DE. Also, he doesn't get pancaked against everyone not named Coastal Carolina. B-)

BTW, wasn't Von Miller supposed to be a Maybin-clone based on his size alone?

Yep.

The last two "Maybin clones" were Von Miller and Bruce Irvin.

As I felt strongly about Miller and Irvin, Jordan is way better than Maybin.

Jordan does need to work on his strength and his game but his raw skills are off the charts.

It's a given that he'll be utilized as a pass rusher but an imaginative DC would find ways to use his freakish speed and length in other ways including in short zones and even shadowing tight ends.

I think Jordan is somewhat analogous to Cordarelle Patterson in that you can see that his natural talent is off the charts.

I never saw that with Maybin.

And the workout numbers confirm the game tape:

http://footballsfuture.com/2013/combine/de.html

Second only to Ansah in 10 yard split, tied for 3rd among 21 DEs in the forty, first in the broad jump, and a good vertical jump of 32.5.

I see he didn't bench though.

Yep.

The last two "Maybin clones" were Von Miller and Bruce Irvin.

As I felt strongly about Miller and Irvin, Jordan is way better than Maybin.

Jordan does need to work on his strength and his game but his raw skills are off the charts.

It's a given that he'll be utilized as a pass rusher but an imaginative DC would find ways to use his freakish speed and length in other ways including in short zones and even shadowing tight ends.

I think Jordan is somewhat analogous to Cordarelle Patterson in that you can see that his natural talent is off the charts.

I never saw that with Maybin.

And the workout numbers confirm the game tape:

http://footballsfutu...combine/de.html

Second only to Ansah in 10 yard split, tied for 3rd among 21 DEs in the forty, first in the broad jump, and a good vertical jump of 32.5.

I see he didn't bench though.

Thank You! And Sisyphean too!!! :thumbsup:

If Geno is gone, and The Bills stay at #8...I would be thrilled with Jordan...I've been talking about him for a while, and what he did today just blew me away...He's very well rounded, and explosive athletically...I think when the shoulder gets cleaned up he'll be able to get stronger (that's why he did not bench...He has shoulder surgery scheduled right after the Combine)...But Jordan is no Maybin...Jordan could be the next JPP, or Aldon Smith, with the ability to drop into coverage a bit...He's flexible...A 3-Down Defender...I really like that kid... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

DEAR JARVIS JONES SUPPORTERS:

How do you plan on using him? Please, explain. If you have a new idea, let me know. Because he's a 4-3 defensive end with no versatility.

Some will tell you he can play 4-3 OLB, but watch the film on him before you get excited. He started nearly 100% of plays standing up at the line of scrimmage, and used speed to get around the edge. In the NFL, he'd lose that speed advantage because of the athletic tackles, and he'd have to rely more on strength. Can he do that? Maybe.

In three games of film I watched, he dropped back into coverage a total of seven times, so how can you possibly expect him to start doing that at the NFL level from the 4-3 OLB spot? No, you can't.

3-4 will only be AT MOST one third of our defense. Can you draft a guy with health issues who can only excel in one third of your defense at the eight spot? Absolutely not.

Our defense will be more 4-3 than 3-4, but, as Pettine said, the nickel will be a huge part of it, as well. The nickel is another scheme he has to sit in until/IF he learns how to cover NFL players.

Dion Jordan is more appealing than Jones because he has the true ability to play defensive end. But I'm not sure we should be looking DE/3-4 OLB gimmick with the 8th pick.

Edited by DStebb716

If Geno is gone, and The Bills stay at #8...I would be thrilled with Jordan...I've been talking about him for a while, and what he did today just blew me away...He's very well rounded, and explosive athletically...I think when the shoulder gets cleaned up he'll be able to get stronger (that's why he did not bench...He has shoulder surgery scheduled right after the Combine)...But Jordan is no Maybin...Jordan could be the next JPP, or Aldon Smith, with the ability to drop into coverage a bit...He's flexible...A 3-Down Defender...I really like that kid... B-)

I hear you. But the dude is light. And he can't really lift weights this year with tomorrow's labrum surgery. So he's basically a 3rd down rusher at least until next year, no?

Also, he doesn't get pancaked against everyone not named Coastal Carolina. B-)

See, I don't think that's much of a highlight reel. That may not be Coastal Carolina, but I saw Tennessee Tech, Fresno State, Washington State and Arizona State in that video. Not exactly powerhouses - and incidentally the only 4 teams he managed to get a sack against. Ok, Maybin comparisons are way too extreme, but this guy does scare me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNh0SgWe3rc

More highlights.

The negatives on him would be his shoulder (lost time this year with a bad shoulder), his size and whether he can develop enough of a power game at the NFL level to be an every down player. He has the speed game and has the ability to redirect and play under control, but I suspect the bad shoulder has set his strength game back.

The issue for me isn't whether Jordon is a high quality prospect? He is. The prioritry issue for me is how our scouting department evaluates the upper tier qbs in this draft. If it concludes that Smith, Barkley or Wilson (my favorite) are legitimate franchise qb candidates then they have to take the plunge on the qb position. The team can draft a high quality LB in the second round. Or they can get a good receiver in the second round.

You can go out and fill a varieyt of needs in free agency. The one position you are less likely to do that is at qb. There are strong rumors that the 49ers have struck a deal with KC for Smith. If that is the case there aren't any appealing free agent qbs on the market to adequately fill our qb need..

What none of us know is how the Bills rank the qbs. I have strong feelings that it is better to take your highest rated qb left on the board sooner rather than later. If KC is able to get Smith from the 49ers then we are in a good position to take a good prospect. There is also a good possibility that the Cardinals might pass on a qb in the first round for an OT leaving us with our highest rated qb prospect.

If the Bills wait another year to draft a qb then you are taking a risk that next year you might not be in position to take a very highly rated prospect and you are also letting another year go by where your prospect needs to be playing so the developmental process is well on its way.

Buddy Nix had opportunities in the prior three years to get a good young prospect in the pipeline. He didn't do it. In my view he set the franchise back because of his hisitancy to act. There is a point where you take the required action and move on. This franchise is going no where until the qb position is addressed. Common sense dictates that the higher you draft a qb the better chance you have at succeeding. If it doesn't work out then you again try. What we know for sure is doing nothing is not going to get you anywhere.

Edited by JohnC

The issue for me isn't whether Jordon is a high quality prospect? He is. The prioritry issue for me is how our scouting department evaluates the upper tier qbs in this draft. If it concludes that Smith, Barkley or Wilson (my favorite) are legitimate franchise qb candidates then they have to take the plunge on the qb position. The team can draft a high quality LB in the second round. Or they can get a good receiver in the second round.

You can go out and fill a varieyt of needs in free agency. The one position you are less likely to do that is at qb. There are strong rumors that the 49ers have struck a deal with KC for Smith. If that is the case there aren't any appealing free agent qbs on the market to dequately fill our qb need..

What none of us know is how the Bills rank the qbs. I have strong feelings that it is better to take your highest rated qb left on the board sooner rather than later. If KC is able to get Smith from the 49ers then we are in a good position to take a good prospect. There is also a good possibility that the Cardinals might pass on a qb in the first round for an OT leaving us with our highest rated qb prospect.

If the Bills wait another year to draft a qb then you are taking a risk that next year you might not be in position to take a very highly rated prospect and you are also letting another year go by where your prospect needs to be playing so the developmental process is well on its way.

Buddy Nix had opportunities in the prior three years to get a good young prospect in the pipeline. He didn't do it. In my view he set the franchise back because of his hisitancy to act. There is a point where you take the required action and move on. This franchise is going no where until the qb position is addressed. Common sense dictates that the higher you draft a qb the better chance you have at succeeding. If it doesn't work out then you again try. What we know for sure is doing nothing is not going to get you anywhere.

There irony (tragedy?) here is that the Bills might feel compelled to draft a QB in one of the worst draft classes at the position in quite some time and for no small part because they felt they could bide their time and wait for the perfect QB to fall to them because they had a good enough fill-in at the position already. Now the question is whether there is a complete cave in on Buddy's team building approach and the Bills throw a top pick at a QB to trot out someone in a uniform with a different name on his back on game day...

(For instance, when people are talking about Nassib and Manuel maybe being another Fitzpatrick at the NFL level, what would they really be improving exactly?)

I looked at all the highlights. Jordan does show speed. One concern I have is that he is really high as he turns the corner. Maybe it's because he's 6'6", but he doesn't dip his shoulder much to get under the OT's hands. That's what makes outside guys like Von Miller and Freeney deadly. They are low and they make a HARD turn to the QB. I'm looking for it, but I don't see it with Jordan. He is quick though. Maybe he can do it and it's just not on these highlights. Another may sound stupid, but in 2 of his free run kill shots, he led with his helmet right into the QBs chin (one of them was Barkley). That doesn't fly in the NFL.

Being a Bills fan, I have 100% confidence that if he is the next great pass rusher, he'll be playing in NY or Pittsburgh. And if not, Buffalo will still be looking for an OLB next year as we make excuses for the kid's lack of performance. OK, that was negative. Sorry.