Did Danica Patrick make "history" at Daytona?

RkFast

For some reason, the other thread was locked. Not sure why, the debate was fine and civil.

IMO, she ran a good race, but I dont see where the "history" is here as far as women participating in motorsports is concerned. As I pointed out in the other thread, there have been a lot of other women in NASCAR over years, dating back to 1949. Further, women in other pro motorsports, namely NHRA Drag Racing have accomplished MUCH more than Patrick has AND in less time and with fewer team resources. IMO, shes a media creation.

Thoughts?

Edited by RkFast

For some reason, the other thread was locked. Not sure why, the debate was fine and civil.

IMO, she ran a good race, but I dont see where the "history" is here as far as women participating in motorsports is concerned. As I pointed out in the other thread, there have been a lot of other women in NASCAR over years, dating back to 1949. Further, women in other pro motorsports, namely NHRA Drag Racing have accomplished MUCH more than Patrick has AND in less time. IMO, shes a media creation.

Thoughts?

Some of our more sensitive moderators have a hard time distinguishing between civil debate and PPP-style debate.

She's not Jackie Robinson, nor has she been made out to be, or will she be remembered as. That said, a female being successful in the boys club is noteworthy. A woman on the poll at the Daytona 500 is a breakthrough, even if not earth shattering. If you were a 16 year old girl aspiring to do something traditionally male this might hit you more than it does as a crotchety old man.

. A woman on the poll at the Daytona 500 is a breakthrough, even if not earth shattering. If you were a 16 year old girl aspiring to do something traditionally male this might hit you more than it does as a crotchety old man.

But a woman on a stripper pole is not earth shattering for the crotchety old men here,

I started and locked the thread..because I felt like it and I'm not a moderator... go ahead and get your panties in a bunch over this highly important debate. That wasn't the intent of the thread I started. Flame away!

Hey man, we are just debating the race. Thats all. And it wasnt much of a "race" to debate, so we are on to the other topics of the event.